GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Price decline??? What to buy instead...

Old 01-10-05, 07:23 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price decline??? What to buy instead...

Hello all...
I am in the market for a new car...I recently sold my 01 GS and wanted to upgrade to the GS430...I went to the dealership and talked to a salesma and he is telling me that the old body style is gonna drop like a rock...now I am debating between a GS and stepping up to the LS430...i really like the 04 body style but it is pricey...like 55k...but it will hold value over GS because of the body style change...

what is gonna happen to the GS market in you eyes? are there gonna be a bunch of ricers and retards runnin around in GS's because they are affordable? thanks!
Old 01-10-05, 07:26 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not likely...parts are still $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to buy...

ricers buy cars where intakes cost $5 on ebay...
Old 01-10-05, 07:52 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Beau, It is quite obvious that the price of the 2nd gen will drop as the 3rd gen roll into the showrooms, but I dont personally think the depreciation of the 2nd gen will be that bad. To be quite frank I am not sure what the general consumer consenses will be like once the car hits the showrooms, if it will be a hot seller or just take some time to grow on people. I personally like the 2nd gen, it has more originality compared to the new body style which looks to much like a Maxima.

Regarding the LS I have always liked the new LS 430 body especially all the fine luxury features it comes with, not to mention the extra leg room and added luxury. I plan on getting a 05 model as my next car hopefully by the end of the year.

Good Luck

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 01-10-05 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-10-05, 09:30 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by beauphus
Hello all...
what is gonna happen to the GS market in you eyes? are there gonna be a bunch of ricers and retards runnin around in GS's because they are affordable? thanks!
It's already happening, IMO.
Old 01-10-05, 11:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Historically when a new model comes out, the old one drops noticably, unless the new model is met with limited enthusiasm or is so different that it's not really an improvement over the new car as much as it's a completely different car altogether (example going from 04 to 05 Mustang... DRASTIC difference, especially in love it or hate it styling in the new model is causing many people to seek the previous gen Mustang)

I suspect that it will be no different in this case... the price on our cars will decline noticably at first and then stabilize, just as it did on the 1st gen GS.

My plan is to keep holding on to my GS until the next gen LS comes out, then wait for the current-gen LS430s to drop in value, and then upgrade. I guess if I just stay a generation behind then I should be all good!

Oh, and yeah, the cheaper a car gets, the more commonly it is purchased by people with crappy tastes and the more commonly you're going to see a GS on the street only to hold back the tears as you witness how badly it has been abused and how tastelessly it has been modded.

Then again I've seen plenty of GS that make me cringe already... some even on this site. But I have no doubt it will become even more common as time goes on.
Old 01-10-05, 12:23 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
Historically when a new model comes out, the old one drops noticably, unless the new model is met with limited enthusiasm or is so different that it's not really an improvement over the new car as much as it's a completely different car altogether (example going from 04 to 05 Mustang... DRASTIC difference, especially in love it or hate it styling in the new model is causing many people to seek the previous gen Mustang)

I suspect that it will be no different in this case... the price on our cars will decline noticably at first and then stabilize, just as it did on the 1st gen GS.

My plan is to keep holding on to my GS until the next gen LS comes out, then wait for the current-gen LS430s to drop in value, and then upgrade. I guess if I just stay a generation behind then I should be all good!

Oh, and yeah, the cheaper a car gets, the more commonly it is purchased by people with crappy tastes and the more commonly you're going to see a GS on the street only to hold back the tears as you witness how badly it has been abused and how tastelessly it has been modded.

Then again I've seen plenty of GS that make me cringe already... some even on this site. But I have no doubt it will become even more common as time goes on.

my thoughts exactly. i hope i dont see too many messed up gs's in the near future.

i like your thinking on the ls430 too...that is what i was thinking for the future
Old 01-10-05, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

the price of the gs has dropped quite a bit over the last year, and it will drop even more after the new gs come out. the current gs has close to become a car that high school kids or so can start to afford, and we are bound to see more and more replicas or what not out there. in terms of the cost of the car, i think it will stablize again at the end of 2006
Old 01-10-05, 01:52 PM
LexFather

I don't mean to bring other brands up, but if you want to see price decline, look at a 2004 or 2005 Infiniti M45 or Q45. Or a Kia Sportage.That is called depreciation.

Of course the GS is going to have another hit but has held its own for 8 years now. The first GSs hit the shores in fall 1997 sold as 98 models!
Old 01-10-05, 02:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't mean to bring other brands up, but if you want to see price decline, look at a 2004 or 2005 Infiniti M45 or Q45. Or a Kia Sportage.That is called depreciation.

Of course the GS is going to have another hit but has held its own for 8 years now. The first GSs hit the shores in fall 1997 sold as 98 models!
What about Cadillac and Lincoln! Man those cars drop QUICK.
Old 01-10-05, 02:01 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

went to the dealership today and looked at an 02 LS430...not impressed...
Old 01-10-05, 02:07 PM
LexFather

I have rarely met a salesman that will tell u a car they are selling will have value drop like a rock. They are going to try to sell you today (unless you know the guy).

Many here have stated a desire for the 04+ LS 430 but not the 01-03 models. Those sublte changes did make a difference.
Old 01-10-05, 02:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

How so? They definitely ride more comfortably and quieter and have nicer features than our GS models. But they most definitely don't handle as well either. So I guess it depends on what it takes to impress you.

I love the LS.
Old 01-10-05, 02:13 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

i didnt test drive the LS430 although i have been in one before...i sat in the cockpit and didnt feel as at home in it as i did in the GS that i drove to the dealership...i too am partial to the 04 or 05 LS430 but dont know if i wanna drop that kind of money...i want the GS again but dont wanna wait for the price drop to start buying...ill just end up getting one now and hoping for the best i think...
Old 01-10-05, 02:25 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Beau,

I have had this conversation alot lately with a few people, here are a few of my thoughts on depreciation:

1. As 1SICK noted, the cars have been on the market for 8years, I think the "major" hit has come and gone, perhaps when the 3rd Gen comes there will be a slight decline, but not 10-15k (cars are only going for 15-25k (older 98-00 models).

2. Market value is often a function of reception, if you look at the 2nd Gen GS it made such a splash in the market. Its styling was totally new, the engine choice went from 220 I6, to 300V8, the HID (remember how cool those were back in 97?), the NAVI, etc etc. If you really look at it the 3rd Gen is not bringing any, "oh my god, lets sell the kids" features on board. The styling is controversial, the engines are unchanged (for now), etc etc. Now, if they pump out a 400hp Ltuned version, thats different.

3. Dont worry about riced out ones, they are already there. Look how long the 1st Gen SC has been around, when you see a clean one like ONEHOT / NEXTLEVEL / DIN, its like seeing a different car, as opposed to the crap boxes I see (at least in NYC)

I think you should cruise the site and get a good look at some 01-03 Celsiors that have been modded. ATSOU's is a horse of a different color slammed on those chrome Resax! If the newer Celsior is anything like the 00 model my brother has, then a road trip is all you need to truly appreciate the power, comfort and luxury. Budget in a aero kit, coilovers (or air suspension control module) , exhaust and wheels, and I think the 01 Celsior is a nice choice

Good luck!
Old 01-10-05, 03:10 PM
m 4
Driver School Candidate

price will decline quite a bit just like when any car model is updated. i would get the gs430 when the price drops if i were you. and no, i don't think that ricers will be driving gs's anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price decline??? What to buy instead...