GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Yellow Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 10:57 AM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS400 Yellow Foglights

I got into a collision recently and a foglight is gone. Does anyone know what makes it yellow? The bulb or the foglight? TIA.
Old 12-28-04, 11:24 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gapxguy
I got into a collision recently and a foglight is gone. Does anyone know what makes it yellow? The bulb or the foglight? TIA.

the foglight has a plastic inside coating which is yellow
Old 12-28-04, 04:19 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

there should be a glass lens inside that makes it yellow
Old 12-28-04, 06:26 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
the foglight has a plastic inside coating which is yellow
wth? plastic coating? LEXFORLIFE>.... that was such a newb response.....HAHHAHA jk bro....

inside the foglight lies a circular tube which is colored yellow. it is made of glass. so any clear bulb would be usable to maintain the yellow output. if yours has cracked or is no longer in place you may want to call carson toyota at 800-90TOYOTA ...either that or just break the other side also to have matching clear foglights
Old 12-28-04, 07:55 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
wth? plastic coating? LEXFORLIFE>.... that was such a newb response.....HAHHAHA jk bro....

inside the foglight lies a circular tube which is colored yellow. it is made of glass. so any clear bulb would be usable to maintain the yellow output. if yours has cracked or is no longer in place you may want to call carson toyota at 800-90TOYOTA ...either that or just break the other side also to have matching clear foglights
I had the yellow fogs on my car and did exactly what you said...I broke out the yellow glass and I now have clear fogs. Maybe its just me, but I never really liked how the yellow lighting at night mixed with the HID's lighting.
Old 12-28-04, 08:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
I had the yellow fogs on my car and did exactly what you said...I broke out the yellow glass and I now have clear fogs. Maybe its just me, but I never really liked how the yellow lighting at night mixed with the HID's lighting.
hehe i am exactly the opposite, i love how the yellow goes with hid on the lexus, from a distance you know it's a lexus already. love it so much that i am trying to figure out how i can do it on my sc430
Old 12-28-04, 08:50 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Each His Own

Many people do not like the look of the yellow fogs, but there are many of us who do. Too bad you didn't have 2 of the yellow fogs, because I am SURE a few people would have LOVED to trade or buy them from you.

As someone said, I know a LEXUS whem I see one from a long distance off by the yellow fogs. But enjoy your car..regardless of what color fogs you have.
Old 12-29-04, 05:25 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by gserep1
Many people do not like the look of the yellow fogs, but there are many of us who do. Too bad you didn't have 2 of the yellow fogs, because I am SURE a few people would have LOVED to trade or buy them from you.

As someone said, I know a LEXUS whem I see one from a long distance off by the yellow fogs. But enjoy your car..regardless of what color fogs you have.
When I 1st got my car a little over 3 years ago, I had no idea there was a demand for yellow fogs.
As a new member of CL back in 02, there was a DIY section of how to change those yellow's to clear. Since I was new, I never really used the search to see what members were doing. Had I known then what I do now, I would have offered a trade. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 12-29-04, 06:10 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe i am exactly the opposite, i love how the yellow goes with hid on the lexus, from a distance you know it's a lexus already. love it so much that i am trying to figure out how i can do it on my sc430
word....same here
Old 12-29-04, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rheiy
When I 1st got my car a little over 3 years ago, I had no idea there was a demand for yellow fogs.
As a new member of CL back in 02, there was a DIY section of how to change those yellow's to clear. Since I was new, I never really used the search to see what members were doing. Had I known then what I do now, I would have offered a trade. Oh well, live and learn.
yeah it's funny, back in late 01 and lear 02 when i joined, eveytone was tlaking about clearing out fogs

but now a lot more people are talking about getting yellow fogs in fact i was one of those, my gs4 didn't come with hid, and i had to trade with someone for the yellow fogs
Old 12-29-04, 10:17 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah it's funny, back in late 01 and lear 02 when i joined, eveytone was tlaking about clearing out fogs

but now a lot more people are talking about getting yellow fogs in fact i was one of those, my gs4 didn't come with hid, and i had to trade with someone for the yellow fogs

just a question.....I know I'd have a better chance catchin AIDS from a stripper, but as rare as GS300's are with HIDs stock, do those models come with yellow fogs like our 400's or clear??
Old 12-29-04, 10:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
just a question.....I know I'd have a better chance catchin AIDS from a stripper, but as rare as GS300's are with HIDs stock, do those models come with yellow fogs like our 400's or clear??
GS300s all have clear foglights... not yellow.

And HIDs on GS300s are extremely common in my experience, just not for 1998. But after that they were pretty common.
Old 12-29-04, 11:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
GS300s all have clear foglights... not yellow.

And HIDs on GS300s are extremely common in my experience, just not for 1998. But after that they were pretty common.
If the GS has HIDs from the factory, it has yellow fogs.
The IS 300 has yellow fogs from the factory to match HIDs
The 92-94 ES 300 has yellow fogs as well.

I personally feel strongly about yellow fogs. I really think its a LExus trademark and make the car instantly recognizable at night. If I could, they would be standard on all Lexus.

Old 12-29-04, 12:05 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If the GS has HIDs from the factory, it has yellow fogs.
The IS 300 has yellow fogs from the factory to match HIDs
The 92-94 ES 300 has yellow fogs as well.

I personally feel strongly about yellow fogs. I really think its a LExus trademark and make the car instantly recognizable at night. If I could, they would be standard on all Lexus.

that and also......FOGS are yellow..... DRIVING LIGHTS are white...

true fogs have always been yellow.... white lights cannot be truly considered fog lights as they do NOTHING to help real fog
Old 12-29-04, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
if the car has hid, then it has yellow fogs. i think that's how the car come out of factory

BUT i have seen some rare exceptions... however they are all second owners so i am not sure if they were changed before or what

Quick Reply: GS400 Yellow Foglights