GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

#1 in Customer Satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 11:19 PM
allcode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Last week I took my GS400 to Cerritos Lexus for a 15K checkup, and boy was I sorely disappointed!

I made an appointment on the phone a week beforehand and was told to bring it in a 9 a.m.. Even though the service takes only 3 hours, I was told I'd be given a Lexus rental. When I arrived at 9, I found 3 other people waiting in front of me for one service rep! After a 15 min wait I was treated to a barrage of faux pas.

First when I asked him what the price of this 15k service was, he told me $389. When I mentioned that I was quoted $249 over the phone, he immediately said "Oh, so you want to pay $249? No problem!" I had no idea service prices are negotiable.

Next I was told the entire fleet of 60 Lexus rental cars are gone, and I would be given a rental car from Enterprise Rental (this was never mentioned in my phone call). I was assured by this service rep that Lexus will pick up the entire tab of the rental. I got a different story when I was finally hooked up with Enterprise Rental rep 45 minutes later. HE told me Lexus will pick up for a basic rental, but I will have to pay for insurance, $14 for minimal coverage. (Is that typical of a Lexus service rental?) Furthermore the rental car would not be a Lexus. In fact, it wasn't really much of a car at all: When taken to the rental lot, I was given a choice a Geo Metro, Suzuki something-or-anther, and a Ford F150. Oh, but the F150 was taken, so given the prior two choices, I took the Suzuki I-forgot-the-name-SUV. Needless to say it was crap, and perhaps in giving me this rental Lexus has made me love my GS400 even more when I eventually got it back at the end of the day.

All in all, it took me over 1 hour 15 minutes to drop off my car at my scheduled appoint and to drive off with the rental, during which I had to endure a "slick" service rep, and a feeling of unwantedness in being passed on from one rep to another. Perhaps as a Lexus owner I have become too jaded and expect more. Or perhaps Cerritos Lexus Service Department had an unusally bad, overbooked day. I hope this is not the norm, but I won't be able to find out because I'm taking my car to Longo for my next service...

Has anyone experienced something similar, or is this a freak incident?

Old 05-09-01, 11:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's up...

First of all, NEVER take your car to CERRITOS LEXUS. Their service department is so bad I think even some ghetto car shop will treat you better.

What you experienced IS the norm. I live RIGHT NEXT TO Cerritos so I thought it would be reasonable for me to take my car there for a brief oil change. Went there, waited forever in line. Service reps avoiding responsibilities and tossing me around to other reps. Finally one rep just got done with like a teenager, and he came up to me and said, "hope you don't waste too much time like that guy before." I said "don't worry," turned around and walked out. On my way home I called Longo and made an appointment for oil change few days later.

Parts sucks too. Had to replace my trunk "L" logo. Went there, told them about the logo, took them about 20 minutes to dig it out from the back, and I was just standing there waiting. When he finally came back he brought a GRILL logo (with the grill holding inserts). Few days later got my L from Longo.

Good choice on Longo. Both parts AND service are good. Even if you live REALLY close to Cerritos I wouldn't go there.

Just my 1 cent.
Old 05-10-01, 06:21 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like Cerritos Lexus is the bottom of the Lexus barrel. I'd write a nastygram to Lexus customer service with a cc to the dealer general manager.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt anyone can overbook service and run out of loaners (but they shouldn't if they care about their customers). It's the shoddy treatment that's unacceptable. On the rare occasion I get to the dealer and my rep is busy with another customer, he asks one of the other reps to take care of me (and he calls me afterward to make sure I was treated properly).

I got a different story when I was finally hooked up with Enterprise Rental rep 45 minutes later. HE told me Lexus will pick up for a basic rental, but I will have to pay for insurance, $14 for minimal coverage. (Is that typical of a Lexus service rental?)

Any car rental place will try to sell you this insurance crap. They make more $$ on the extras like this insurance than the rental itself. Most of the time you don't need it 'cause your own car insurance will cover you when you rent. Check with your insurance carrier.

Old 05-10-01, 07:51 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default SATURN CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I believe SATURN customer service is the best. Yes, thats correct SATURN cars ! My ex-GF had a saturn and went with her to have a checkup. They treated us like kings and queens. They asked us if we wanted coffee or lunch ! They have nice waiting areas with big screen tv's to kill the time.! Very polite and very professional !

Some lexus dealership can learn a few things from a car company like SATURN !
Old 05-10-01, 09:35 AM
RacingAristo

Ray,

Are you referring me in this case?

I bought my car at Lexus of Cerritos for the best price ever (It was the second GS430 they had at that moment), and I traded in my ES300 higher than KBB indicated. My friends also experienced the attitude problems in sales department. If you are looking for a Lexus, I highly recommend you to talk to Frank Mao and tell him Dennis send yah. So far I've bought 2 Lexus and I'm very happy with the price. Yes, lower than www.carsdirect.com

As for the service department, I have to agree with you. Once I took my car in for a normal service, they told me I need to change the brake pad. I was told that it'd only take several hours includ. the service. I was cool and until later that day, they didn't even have the parts! I was pissed and they continued to keep my car for 1 freaking week for ordering and installing the break pads. I was pissed and filed several complaints of the particular rep to Lexus. Yeah, I remember his *****ing name and his *****ing attitude. Couple weeks later, I received phone calls from Lexus and Lexus of Cerritos. They are concerned about the situation I had before and they ended up giving me some free service on my ES300. Next time I went, didn't see that guy, and was told he was fired! WA HA HA HA HA.

Old 05-10-01, 09:48 AM
sTWO
Rookie

Default Lexus service?

Those two words don't even go together. I'd be interested to hear how much they paid JD Power and Associates for that #1 ranking.

In all seirousness, I stopped going to Lexus for service after yet another horrid experience. Best to just find a different service place that you know won't rip you off too badly on prices and regularly take your car in for tuneups.
Old 05-10-01, 10:25 AM
zz231
Pole Position

well, i have to say that not all dealerships are the same. like every other car make, there's the good dealership and then there's the bad. my lexus dealership service department's been great so far. i've had my car for over a year now and every time i go there they treat me and my car really well. and i always get a lexus for a loaner car. most of the times, if i make the appointment two weeks ahead of time they'll come to my house or work, pick up my car and leave me the loaner. and then they'll do the same when the car is done. now isn't that something?
just don't let one bad experience make you lose faith in all the dealerships. keep looking until you find one that you like.
Old 05-10-01, 10:45 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Well, we can start a thread in the maintenance section asking members to list the dealership service department that's good and those that suck. What do you think? Once we get enough info, we can post the results.
Old 05-10-01, 10:54 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up LONGO

i guess i have been treated VERY well by PERRY and MIKE over at LONGO, they are the best.

BTW, perry, one of the service advisor, also MOD his gs
Old 05-10-01, 11:18 AM
allcode
Driver School Candidate

Cool good feedback

Thanks for all the feedback! Two good things will come out of this:

1) I will definitely write to Corporate Lexus about Cerritos Service Dept.

2) In the future, I'm going Longo!

allcode
2000 Blk GS400, all factory
Old 05-10-01, 02:45 PM
chowder
Driver

Default calvin

i like that idea. do it.
Old 05-10-01, 03:07 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Talking Great service

Just yesterday, I brought my 2000 Platinum GS300 for my 15k. The menu listed the service at $499 (yes, $499, I live in Boston), I asked him to just check my brakes as they were shaking around 70mph (I've seen this in other posts). They gave me a 2001 ES300 w/ 200 miles on it, did the work in 4 hours like they said, REPLACED my front rotors, and my windshield wipers (don't know if this was included in 15k) free of charge and only charged me $251 for everything. Oh yeah, and they also gave me a gas voucher to cover any gas I used in the ES that day. And an apple. My car drives just like new again !!!
Old 05-10-01, 05:06 PM
RacingAristo

They even gave you an apple? Unbelieveable! How nice! My dealer just gave me bunch of donuts. HAHA.

But I like the idea of rating each dealer. Let's do it and start a thread.
Old 05-10-01, 06:02 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I started a thread in the maintenance forum to rate your dealership's service /parts dept. Please input.

Thanks for your support for this little project.
Old 05-10-01, 09:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: LONGO

Originally posted by gs4will
i guess i have been treated VERY well by PERRY and MIKE over at LONGO, they are the best.

BTW, perry, one of the service advisor, also MOD his gs

Agreed. Perry is a very nice guy. He treated me great too. Mike is nice also.

Perry mods his car? Hmmm I didn't know. Maybe I'll ask him nextweek when I do my oil change.

Quick Reply: #1 in Customer Satisfaction?