GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door molding issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 06:53 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door molding issue

Does anyone have a problem with the molding on the bottom of the front doors? ON both the drivers and passenger sides the molding on the bottom is pulling away from the door.

I had someone jerry-rig fix it but they're both coming off and it looks horrible.

Does anyone have any idea how these can be fixed/new ones installed and how much they would cost?

Again, I was hoping to not go to the dealer but need a good body shop in N. NJ that can do this, assuming it can be done.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-15-04, 07:32 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I had this problem so I went to the dealer. The head tech came over, took one look at it, rapped it a few times with the back of a closed fist, and the problem was solved. I thought it was just a temporary fix, but it's been a few months and it looks great. I think there are some clips or double-sided tape behind those moldings, but I'm not completely sure. Maybe someone else who knows a little more about it can chime in.
Old 12-15-04, 07:37 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

e-man - maybe I didn't explain this correctly.

The piece that is haning is actuallly hanging from the bottom of the door. If you open the door it's the "rubber-ish" molding on the bottom of the door. It actually is now hanging and when the tried to use duct tape to hold it on, it only stayed on for a couple weeks.

So it's not the molding as much as it's the rubbery lip, I guess that's what you would call it. It seems like it seals the door on the bottom.

Sorry if I'm not describing it correctly.

There's nothing that it's attached to so I don't know how it could be replaced. I have a feeling it's a trip to the dealer on this one.

Thanks
Old 12-15-04, 07:46 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

yup i have the same problem with my drivers door....i crazy glued it and it came back off. i am tired of it im thinkin of siliconing it on.
Old 12-15-04, 07:51 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

That's what I was thinking - clear silicone. I've never ever seen another car with this problem. It was fixed with the tape for a little while.

I feel like my car looks crappy because of it. There's gotta be some way to fix it tho, right?
Old 12-15-04, 08:03 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry about that. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the plastic piece that extends half way up the door. As for the rubbery piece, I would assume it's just tacked on with some sort of adhesive material. I bet you could call your Lexus dealership and they would tell you.
Old 12-15-04, 08:12 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Yeah it appears that there's no where for it to adhere to. It's like when it rips off, it just hangs.

I'm going to try the dealer and see what they say.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-04, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i have heard about that proble here and there. just get new rubber seal from carson toyota, i believe they can get it for you. very easy to isntall, should be done in mins

btw, i never had that problem before, but my friend did and he got his fixed
Old 12-16-04, 02:48 PM
lostinthew
Driver

I have the same problem w/ my 98 GS300. A friend gave me some super adhesive that has held for about 8 months. However, winter is upon us.

The dealer said it would be $270 to replace both doors. I'm stalling.
Old 12-16-04, 02:53 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Thanks - that's good to know.

I haven't asked the dealer yet . I'm going to try some major adhesive glue or clear silicone.

I hate the way it makes the care look. I can't imagine how it actually started to come off - it's in such a weird spot.

Thanks
Old 12-16-04, 03:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ClaudiG
Thanks - that's good to know.

I haven't asked the dealer yet . I'm going to try some major adhesive glue or clear silicone.

I hate the way it makes the care look. I can't imagine how it actually started to come off - it's in such a weird spot.

Thanks
how about a pic. are you talking about the window runners?
Old 12-16-04, 03:21 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Yeah that would make sense, huh, however I need to borrow a digital camera first.

NO, the actual piece that I'm talking about is on the very bottom of the door. When you open the door and at the very bottom there should be a piece of "molding" that runs across the bottom of the entire door. It acts like a seal between the door and the body of the car. I'm assuming that all GS' (all Lexus') have this. That's the piece that is starting to rip off the door.

Hopefully that explains it until I take a picture.

I'll try and do that when I get the car back from the mechanic and try so you guys can see what I mean.
Old 12-16-04, 04:24 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I believe he's talking about the weather stripping at the bottom of the door to keep the seal closed on the bottom when the door shuts. I too have this problem. I put adhesive back on it to fix mine, drivers side is holding strong, but passenger side isn't . If i so much as touch it when i'm washing my car, it pulls back off. I have it. Not to mention that the piece that is hanging is turning yellow from oxidation. Gotta get it fixed. I am in DE, so let me know what a NJ dealer prices you at.

John
Old 12-16-04, 06:14 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Will do.

I'm going to check out the dealer as well as try and fiix it on my own to start. I imagine that they would have to replace both doors and I'm wondering how they would do that.

I'll keep you informed and see if it's worth it.

Will advise....thanks!
Old 12-16-04, 07:13 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they sell this piece of rubber seperate? And if so does it come already the color of the car. Would be nice if you can order the little strips for the front doors.

Quick Reply: Door molding issue