GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are These Wood Trim Suppliers OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 05:45 AM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are These Wood Trim Suppliers OK?

I have looked at a lot of wood trim kits online in the past few days. It's mind boggling! There are too many choices! I'm trying to find the best looking and best quality trim kit for my 2001 GS300. I have no problem paying for quality. I'd spend up to $500 if I thought it was really worth it. But less is good if the value is there.

A company called Veneerz.com says that they are the only manufacturer using Polyurathane for the gloss coat. Naturally, they say poly is best (because it doesn't fade and it's more flexible). The rest of the manufacturers use Epoxy coating. Of course, they say theirs is the best.

A company called ExoticWoodTrim.com sells the same stuff as Veneerz.com. The kits from both Veneerz and ExoticWoodTrim have a lot of pieces (26 or 27) for right around $200. That sounds good to me, but I wonder about the quality. Do any of you have experience with these suppliers, or other suppliers that you think are good?

I've attached a picture of the layout from ExoticWoodTrim.com.

Thanks!
Michael

Last edited by MailManX; 12-02-04 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-02-04, 06:21 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Isnt there a vendor here on CL that sells wood trimming?
Old 12-02-04, 11:11 AM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

I looked in that section of the forum and didn't see one. Did I miss it?
Old 12-02-04, 11:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Just my personal opinion, but when I actually saw such a kit installed in a friends car with my own eyes, it was a complete 180 degree change of mind for me.

They look like "fat stickers" all over your dash. I would strongly suggest finding someone near you who has this installed before you take the plunge and buy one. No offense intended to anyone who loves such kits, but my advice is that you should see one in person before you buy it.

I also thought it looked great on their website, but once I saw it in person, it turned me off completely.
Old 12-02-04, 12:35 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with hameed, delivers a measure of cheapness to the look of your dash,,,,,,,,,,again like hameed, this again is just my opinion as well
Old 12-02-04, 01:29 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also agree-I test drove a GS400 plat with these "stickers" all over dash etc. That's all they look like,just like Hameed said, they look like cheap big fat stickers

you should def check a car out w/them before you order
Old 12-02-04, 01:33 PM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

yea i see these ppl (ExoticWoodTrim) at shows all the time, but they never have a show car for display. all i saw was small samples glued on a poster board.
Old 12-02-04, 01:42 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting! Obviously I need to find someone with this stuff in their car to get a first hand evaluation. Thanks for the head's up.
Old 12-02-04, 01:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by MailManX
Very interesting! Obviously I need to find someone with this stuff in their car to get a first hand evaluation. Thanks for the head's up.
You definitely need to do that my friend.

You may in the end like it, but at least you will be sure and happy with your decision.
Old 12-02-04, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i don't like the wood at all, but it's your call

talk to lxogood about it, he got a kit before some some shop
Old 12-02-04, 08:13 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

i've heard that Exotic Wood Dash is supposed to be good. not sure of the difference between exotic wood trim. Check them out

J
Old 12-02-04, 08:39 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a sample:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...540001940&rd=1

Too much wood for my taste.
Old 12-02-04, 09:02 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
Just my personal opinion, but when I actually saw such a kit installed in a friends car with my own eyes, it was a complete 180 degree change of mind for me.

They look like "fat stickers" all over your dash. I would strongly suggest finding someone near you who has this installed before you take the plunge and buy one. No offense intended to anyone who loves such kits, but my advice is that you should see one in person before you buy it.

I also thought it looked great on their website, but once I saw it in person, it turned me off completely.
MailMan, I have to agree with Hameed and the others who reccommend exercising caution before proceeding with this mod. Yes, wood accents are attractive and add a touch of elegance and luxury but there such a thing as too much of a good thing! When you see the wood surface applied everywhere it cheapens the overall appearance, especially because it is so obvious that it is just pasted on. Also, if you don't like it after it's installed, it's very difficult to remove because the adhesive is so tenacious. Why not consider just a few additional touches of wood. Such as, if you don't already have one, a leather/wood steering wheel or a wood ashtray insert.
Old 12-02-04, 10:21 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by J_RoK
i've heard that Exotic Wood Dash is supposed to be good. not sure of the difference between exotic wood trim. Check them out.
I did a bit of research and found that ExoticWoodDash gets their product from "B & I Trim Product Mfg." I checked out that website (http://www.bitrim.com/entry.htm) and they look very professional. But then I looked further and found very mixed reviews. One big negative is that if you want to send the kit back after it arrives, they charge a huge 25% restocking fee.

There's just so much hype from every company online that it's impossible to know what to believe. As many others have mentioned, I need to actually see some cars with kits installed.
Old 12-03-04, 07:12 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't do it. I installed Exotic Wood Dash about 5 years ago when I first got my car. I liked it for about 6 months. The clear covering started to peal recently and I had to remove them which is a PITA big time.

Quick Reply: Are These Wood Trim Suppliers OK?