GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OK Guys...Struggling here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 12:13 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help to decide on whether to match the Eibach springs with the Bilstein shocks or the TTE springs with the Bilstein shocks.

The Eibachs are advertised on their website to have a 1 inch drop which is approx 25-26mm.

The TTE's are advertised on their website for the GS300 to have a 1.2 inch drop which is approx. 30mm. I assume it will be a little lower with the GS400 engine weight.

I like the fact that the TTE's are a little more lower but not as low as the H&R springs. With the H&R springs I am worried about scraping speed bumps in So Cal.

Quote from my wife "I don't care what springs you get as long as I don't have to go over speed bumps super slow and at an angle. I trust your judgment" I can't let her down so that is why I am hesitant about the H&R springs.

Please provide some insight. I am hoping someone will tell me what's the big deal about .2 inches - you can't tell the difference and they are probably the same springs and the Eibachs are 50 dollars cheaper. Thanks for anything. Knock some sense into me.

Brent
Old 04-30-01, 12:21 PM
JacobT

Brent,

I do not think you can tell the drop differences between these 3 different springs. 0.2" does not make any difference for human eyes. You'll be fine with all kinds of speed bumpe as long as you don't install body kits in the future
Old 04-30-01, 12:36 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

I've been told that the TTE springs are Eibach too.

Though a guy at my Lexus dealer who used to work at TTE said that he thinks that they are custom made for TTE and not the same springs that Eibach sells themselves.
Old 04-30-01, 12:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to BRENT

Hi Brent,

get the Eibach for the following reasons:

1.family consideration; if you are still single, that is another story. you and i both know that there aer wayyy too many speed bumps here in la, and i am certain you want to avoid those unhappy comments from the MRS., right?

2.$50 saving is $50 for some other mods in the future

3.i am 90% certain that the TTE springs are made either by eibach or HR. so all three should have excellent quality.

i have seen many gs with eibach and HR. imo, eibach is the way to go if you need to consider many other factors besides "lowering and handling".
Old 04-30-01, 02:39 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: to BRENT

Originally posted by gs4will
Hi Brent,

get the Eibach for the following reasons:

1.family consideration; if you are still single, that is another story. you and i both know that there aer wayyy too many speed bumps here in la, and i am certain you want to avoid those unhappy comments from the MRS., right?

2.$50 saving is $50 for some other mods in the future

3.i am 90% certain that the TTE springs are made either by eibach or HR. so all three should have excellent quality.

i have seen many gs with eibach and HR. imo, eibach is the way to go if you need to consider many other factors besides "lowering and handling".
Thanks Will,

I think I will go with the Eibach @ TMengineering. I am planning to add the TRD STB and Steering ECU from Steve. I am just waiting on the Bilsteins...
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Brent
Old 04-30-01, 02:49 PM
GS4Man

Default OK Guys ...

What combo of springs / shocks that offer 1-1.5" of lowering offer the best compromise of ride comfort v.s. performance? How low can you go without constant worry about speed bumps (although curbs undoubtely an issue ... my stock clears mose new curbs by less than 1". I am biased slightly towards ride comfort and do not want to do the mod and then have a bone-jarring ride :eek: . Anyone have a direct comparison of any spring / shock combo vs. BMW 528/540i Sport in terms of ride comfort?
Old 04-30-01, 02:54 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: OK Guys ...

Originally posted by GS4Man
What combo of springs / shocks that offer 1-1.5" of lowering offer the best compromise of ride comfort v.s. performance? How low can you go without constant worry about speed bumps (although curbs undoubtely an issue ... my stock clears mose new curbs by less than 1". I am biased slightly towards ride comfort and do not want to do the mod and then have a bone-jarring ride :eek: . Anyone have a direct comparison of any spring / shock combo vs. BMW 528/540i Sport in terms of ride comfort?
I think from all the past posts, it would seem that the Eibach/Bilstein combo gives the greatest performance/ride comfort tradeoff with a lowering height of around 1". I have a 99 528i w/ sport suspension option. Once I get the eibach/bilstein combo on, I will let you know the differences/similarities.

The height comparisons between the 528 sport suspension and the stock GS is the front and rear wheel gaps are 1 inch greater in the GS but the ground clearance is the same...Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 04-30-01, 09:20 PM
RacingAristo

Eibach ProKit will give you the best ride comfort in the aftermarket springs. I will sell my Eibach/Bilstein combo once I decide to get the APEXi WS.
Old 04-30-01, 10:03 PM
kodai
Driver

I would also like to recommend looking at the TEIN Cs Spec coil-over set up. It is a great set up on the GS's. I still have the ride and if needed I can always raise or lower the car.
Old 04-30-01, 10:36 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

I'm running the Eibachs and think they are just perfect for everyday driving. They drop the car about an inch, stiffen the ride slightly but not unpleasant, and I can still clear curbs and parking bumpers. I do have a bodykit on the car, and am wary of parking bumpers higher than standard. Some guys like there car really "slammed" but if you go that low, you would probably better off going to coil-overs.
Old 10-19-07, 05:43 PM
skaiyun
Driver

So, hey. Could you just buy the TTE springs and call it a day for the 1" drop? I think i read its designed for the oem suspensions, butt will it wear out the oem stuff bad... or even faster?
Old 10-19-07, 06:33 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

Old 10-19-07, 07:20 PM
skaiyun
Driver

whatever, i just want to lower my car a little bit. just for looks....
Old 10-20-07, 03:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skaiyun
whatever, i just want to lower my car a little bit. just for looks....
he was talking replying to a 6 yearold thread.