GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

chipping windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-01, 11:37 AM
marketbully

i was just washing my car and noticed that I have 2 small chips on my windshield. Is this a common problem?

I only have 2 thousand miles on my car and I already have 5 paint chips on my front bumper and now my windshield is chipping. I can kind of accept the fact that the paint on the front bumper would chip but the windshield too - seems strange.

any info you guys/gals have would be appreciated..thanks
Old 04-28-01, 12:14 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, chips happen. You can get them repaired at a windshield shop if they are smaller than a dime or so. And you want to get them fixed if they're deep because after awhile they may start to crack the windshield. Unfortunately, you can't always tell if they'll get worse or not. Sometimes they're fine for months and then one day you leave the car in the sun or the temperature drops sharply and you come out to your car to find a cracked windshield. Other times it stays that way for years and never gets worse. I get them fixed if they look like they have "hairs" around them that will turn into cracks or if they're in the way of my vision.

I've heard some insurance companies will cover the repair since it's cheaper than eventually replacing the windshield.
Old 04-28-01, 05:40 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta stop tailgating man!

Old 04-28-01, 10:53 PM
Mayur Patel
Driver

Default chipping

i had the same problem. it really sucks to see your brand new car chipping. I had a chip in my windshield in the first month i got my car. its a sad story. u're not the only one out there.
Old 04-28-01, 11:02 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default I have a tiny dime size chip too

it was a pebble, I almost got into an accident because I was so pissed that I just witnessed my car being damaged and their was nothing I could do. Well, I'll live
Old 05-01-01, 12:04 PM
XbulldogOLD
Rookie

Question Anyone know the cost?

I too have noticed a chip on the lower drivers side of the windshield. Mine is smaller than a dime and I was wondering what a good price would be to repair it. I cannot feel it from inside the car and it should be easily fixable, but I have never done this before. Looking for some help since I don't want to get taken on what should be an otherwise easy repair.
Old 05-01-01, 04:04 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default hmm.

That's my exact situation bulldog, it needs to be filled I guess but I don't see any sign of it cracking so I need to look into it. I would'nt dare trust a bodyshop to tell me because I've been dicked over quite well by the Lexus bodyshop, my cousin is a foreign car mechanic, I'll let you know what his diagnosis is.
Old 05-01-01, 04:46 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

For this you go to a windshield shop. Repairing the chip takes about 15 minutes and costs about $25. They use an epoxy and a special tool to vacuum any air out of the windshild.

If you don't know it a windshield is 2 layers of glass with a plastic liner in between. To repair it properly you have to make sure there is no air in between the outside pane and the plastic liner.

If it's just a small chip that doesn't reach the plastic you can often fix it with crazy glue. Just make sure the crack is clean (use alcohol). Then fill the crack with crazy glue a bit above the level of the glass (it will shrink as it dries). Once the crazy glue is set you can shave it even with the glass with a single edged razor blade.
Old 05-01-01, 05:10 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Alright..

Thanks Marty! Hey I almost bought a passport 8500 for 250 the other day, is that good?
Old 05-01-01, 05:16 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

$250 for a new 8500 is a really good price. I thought I did great at $279. I'd jump at it if it's still available...but
I still think the most important thing to remember is to drive within your capabilities.

Since you're still a relatively new driver I vote for both buying the 8500 and taking it easy.
Old 05-01-01, 07:05 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Hey bulldog,
I noticed you are in Connecticut. I know a guy in Bridgeport (works for Safellite auto glass) that fixed my cracked windsield. Mine was a bullseye, about the size of a dime. By the way, a new connecticut law says that you cant repair windshield cracks that are in the driver's view.
Because of that, it took me 2 months to find someone that would fix it. Anyways, this guy did an excellent job and it only cost $40. If interested in his # email me and i will find it for ya
mysky79@aol.com
Also, he said that with lexus (3 layers!) the last thing you ever want to do is to have the windshield replaced. If so, get it done at the dealer, aftermarket glass, atleast safellite's, doesn't compare to lexus.
Old 05-02-01, 01:08 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I've had my windsheild replaced once. My deductable was $500 and the OEM was over $500, so getting the Toyota orginal wasn't even a second thought (not like it was anyway). I've heard the other brands aren't nearly as good. It went in fine (except the guy left a bunch of glass in my car). Well a month after it was replaced, I get another nick in it. Inusrance pays to repair (not replace) in Michigan as long as it's not in the driver's view. A local place fixed it. You could tell it was there, but less noticable. It seems like it's more noticable now. Does that epoxy fall out?

Brian
Old 05-02-01, 05:54 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Brian S
You could tell it was there, but less noticable. It seems like it's more noticable now. Does that epoxy fall out?

Brian
It probably appears more noticable because, although the epoxy is "clear", it's not as clear as glass. If the epoxy falls out it wasn't done right. Epoxy's pretty tough stuff. They use it to attach airplane wings.
Old 05-02-01, 08:39 AM
XbulldogOLD
Rookie

Hey all, thanks for the advice. GS4, I was wondering if this Connecticut state law about chips in the driver's view would apply to my car. Although the chip is on the driver's side of the windshield it is located about 5 inches up from the top of the dash, right above where most people put the inspection stickers. Its not exactly in my "line of sight" Do you think I would still be affected. I will also E-mail you for that guys #at Safelite. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-01, 11:48 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian, a pick and hammer should do the trick for a new windshield

heh

Quick Reply: chipping windshield