GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2006 GS vs. 2006 Infiniti M

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 02:14 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS vs. 2006 Infiniti M

I haven't monitored this forum for a while since I got rid of my 1999 GS400. Now, I anxiously await the 2006 GS and will evaluate it against the Infiniti M in the spring. By the way, why doesn't Lexus' website have anything on the new 2006 GS (perhaps it is there and I am missing it?). Infiniti has some nice info on their 2006 M on their site.

Without having seen or driven any of the cars in person, I must say the M is my first choice - with more horsepower, a slightly more appealing design (IMO), a beautifully laid out interior, and a more sporty feel to the manumatic shifting. The new Audi A6 was on my list of contenders but I saw it a week ago and it just didn't do anything for me styling-wise. Moreover, the interior wasn't too impressive as I would expect from an Audi. All in all, I liked the 2005 A6 much better in pictures.

While I am sure the Lexus will beat the Infiniti in fit, finish, and precision, the M may have the advantages above, not to mention a price tag of $3-5k less (comparing GS430 to M45 and GS300 to M35). There must be others anxiously awaiting these two new 2006 cars and many who will be in the market for one.

Comments? Disagreements?
Old 10-19-04, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Default Re: 2006 GS vs. 2006 Infiniti M

Originally posted by marcpitch
I haven't monitored this forum for a while since I got rid of my 1999 GS400. Now, I anxiously await the 2006 GS and will evaluate it against the Infiniti M in the spring. By the way, why doesn't Lexus' website have anything on the new 2006 GS (perhaps it is there and I am missing it?). Infiniti has some nice info on their 2006 M on their site.

Without having seen or driven any of the cars in person, I must say the M is my first choice - with more horsepower, a slightly more appealing design (IMO), a beautifully laid out interior, and a more sporty feel to the manumatic shifting. The new Audi A6 was on my list of contenders but I saw it a week ago and it just didn't do anything for me styling-wise. Moreover, the interior wasn't too impressive as I would expect from an Audi. All in all, I liked the 2005 A6 much better in pictures.

While I am sure the Lexus will beat the Infiniti in fit, finish, and precision, the M may have the advantages above, not to mention a price tag of $3-5k less (comparing GS430 to M45 and GS300 to M35). There must be others anxiously awaiting these two new 2006 cars and many who will be in the market for one.

Comments? Disagreements?
Welcome back.
All new GS info is here as well as nice speculation
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=m45

Our M35/45 thoughts thus far

The new M45 thread

IMO, it has the best interior of any Nissan ever, even with the ugly orange gauges. The exterior, I must be missing something, we've seen it before, nothing new about it. Yes it does look good. Not ugly but not striking either.
Don't be fooled by the 340hp, Nissan hasn't figured out that having a tranny to match is just as important. I expect the less HP having GS 430 to be as fast.
Finally the fact is expensive Infinitis have the re-sale value of Klondike Ice Cream bar during winter to a starving man lost in the wildnerness in Alaska. I'd wait 2 years, then catch a M45 for 35-40k and be a happy camper.
With the GS, since Nissan blatantly raped and copied the GS design with the new Altima AND Maxima, a once original, striking design is now copied by rental cars. So the GS evolution don't look as different as before. And noobs now have a funny comment to make. The GS is Lexus' sports luxury sedan, it should be an improvement over the previous gen. That is how cars go most times.

Here is inside info on next gen colors by DaveGS4
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=colors

I can't compare driving styles as no one has driven both. We do know the GS is still platform specific built for the luxury sport car market. THe M35/45 is built off a stretched FM platfrom from the G35. Which is a 350Z platform. Which is shared with the FX 35/45. So it's built off cheaper cars but that platform has gotten RAVE reviews for its sport.

Service. Infiniti is great, 2nd to Lexus. Infiniti is reliable as well. Right under Lexus. History. The current M45 has sold as well as radioactive candybars. Its a taxi in Japan. We all the know the current GS is the Japanese sports luxury sedan king with accolades galore.

Modifications. That has yet to be seen but the aftermarket has been more kind to Lexus than Infiniti.
Old 10-19-04, 03:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome back

have a feeling this is meant for car chat
Old 10-20-04, 03:33 AM
biker
Lead Lap

I think the $3-5 cheaper assumption is wrong. Considering even the lowest prices (they change all the time) listed on the Infiniti site show the base M35 price will be HIGHER than the base GS300. Now that Acura seems to be getting away with 50+K prices for its new RL, Infiniti and Lexus will want to follow and ask some big prices for these mid sized luxury sport sedans. Given their history I don't think Infiniti will be able to while Lexus might. Forget trying to gauge prices the first few months - the pent up demand and the first-on-the-block crowd will ensure that MSRP will be the going price for a while.
Old 10-20-04, 07:45 AM
GSpeed
Driver

With the GS, since Nissan blatantly raped and copied the GS design with the new Altima AND Maxima, a once original, striking design is now copied by rental cars. So the GS evolution don't look as different as before.
Completely agree with Sick. Lets not forget the most blatant of all Nissan rip offs of the GS design -The G35.

Also as a former Q45 owner, I can tell you resell value is horrible compared to a comparable Lexus.
Old 10-20-04, 08:36 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: 2006 GS vs. 2006 Infiniti M

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Finally the fact is expensive Infinitis have the re-sale value of Klondike Ice Cream bar during winter to a starving man lost in the wildnerness in Alaska.... The current M45 has sold as well as radioactive candybars.
LOL.
Old 10-20-04, 09:00 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i loved the old m45, i thought it looked great, especially the jp one all fixed up, but this one is looking really sweet also, think i would take this over the gs.
Old 10-20-04, 09:42 AM
biker
Lead Lap

While all three of the Japanese middleweights (RL, M35/45, GS) will all have electronic wizardry (interface screen, keyless entry, smart cruise, etc.) where is the handling trick for the GS? I mean the RL has SH-AWD and the M has the active rear steering, what will the GS have other than a suspension switch that may or may not do anything in the real world.
Old 10-20-04, 10:38 AM
marcpitch
Driver

First, I have owned Lexus' and Infinitis. Infiniti turned a corner with the G35, design rip off or not. My wife's 1998 I30 is a piece of junk, as are most pre-G35 Infinitis.

Why is resale always brought up like it some crucial issue? I really could care less about resale unless the difference is enormous. It is like deciding not to rennovate a part of your house because you are worried about resale. There are a lot of cars I do not want that have great resale value. I will be driving the car once I buy it, not putting it up for sale.

Infiniti has some catching up to do but they are absolutely heading in the right direction. Kudos to them for realizing the design of the current M is VERY unpopular (I dislike it too) and coming out with a huge styling improvement 2 years later. Why was there 8 model years between 2nd and 3rd generation Lexus...too long!

The new Lexus may be more of a comfort-sport sedan while the Infiniti may be more of a sport-sport sedan. I will be looking seriously at both, and while resale will not be an issue for me, the seats will be. I ended up in the passenger seat any time I took a left over 30 mph in my 99 GS400. While I do not need seats to hug me like ones in a race car, I don't want to be driving in a Lazy Boy recliner.

By the way, the service I have received with Infiniti is far inferior to that of my Lexus. This may be a dealer-specific issue, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Infiniti.
Old 10-20-04, 11:56 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The new Lexus may be more of a comfort-sport sedan while the Infiniti may be more of a sport-sport sedan. I will be looking seriously at both, and while resale will not be an issue for me, the seats will be. I ended up in the passenger seat any time I took a left over 30 mph in my 99 GS400. While I do not need seats to hug me like ones in a race car, I don't want to be driving in a Lazy Boy recliner.
This is the big quesion in my mind - did the folks at Toyota aim for the MB/AARP crowd who could care less about handling/seats or the more driver oriented folks? Like I mentioned, the proof will be in how the "adjustable" suspension will fare.

Last edited by biker; 10-20-04 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 12:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First, I have owned Lexus' and Infinitis. Infiniti turned a corner with the G35, design rip off or not. My wife's 1998 I30 is a piece of junk, as are most pre-G35 Infinitis.

Why is resale always brought up like it some crucial issue? I really could care less about resale unless the difference is enormous. It is like deciding not to rennovate a part of your house because you are worried about resale. There are a lot of cars I do not want that have great resale value. I will be driving the car once I buy it, not putting it up for sale.

Infiniti has some catching up to do but they are absolutely heading in the right direction. Kudos to them for realizing the design of the current M is VERY unpopular (I dislike it too) and coming out with a huge styling improvement 2 years later. Why was there 8 model years between 2nd and 3rd generation Lexus...too long!

By the way, the service I have received with Infiniti is far inferior to that of my Lexus. This may be a dealer-specific issue, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Infiniti.
Sorry, but I can't agree that pre-G35 Infinitis are pieces of junk. I now have 22,000 miles on my '03 QX4, which was actually leased as a backup to my SC430 (when I had it) and I have absolutely no complaints. Granted, it isn't as quiet or smooth as my g/f's RX300 but it is much more tossable and feels quicker. I also haven't had one reliability issue with it.

I will agree with you on Infiniti service. When I owned a Lexus I could always get a loaner. When I took my Infiniti in for 20,000 mile service I was told I had to see an Enterprise rep, who then told me I was #4 in line for a car. It took me less time just to wait for the service. This isn't anywhere close to my Lexus experience.

Re: the M45 vs. GS430... that's a tough one. I'm sure Infiniti will hit handling out of the ballpark with the FM platform, and the M has some neat interior tricks, but the GS still has my vote. Should be a head-turner once it hits the road, and if Lexus will just tighten up the steering/handling a little it will be on my short list.

Last edited by dseag2; 10-20-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 04:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by biker
While all three of the Japanese middleweights (RL, M35/45, GS) will all have electronic wizardry (interface screen, keyless entry, smart cruise, etc.) where is the handling trick for the GS? I mean the RL has SH-AWD and the M has the active rear steering, what will the GS have other than a suspension switch that may or may not do anything in the real world.
To me, Lexus AVS will be the most desireable feature of the three. I really don't care about AWD because I live in Georgia, plus if I'm going to plunk down $50K I want good old fashion, tossable, rippin RWD, not AWD. AWD adds weight, complexity, and additional maintenance costs over the long term. I don't know enough about Infiniti's Active Rear Steering to comment on whether or not it's really a desireable feature. Really though, I'd rather be able to switch my suspension from LS430 UL smooth to IS300 firm rather than have AWD traction. There are some times where I want to have a smooth, buttery ride but there are also times where I want to firm things up for a little fun. The new GS will be the first RWD car that lets you make that decision, all in one car.

Seems like enough of a handling trick to me.

-Michael-
Old 10-20-04, 07:47 PM
LexFather

Well I stated the M35/45 is FM based which is 350Z based and its a great platfrom for sports cars. Clearly. The 2nd gen Lexus did get accolades for it's coupe handling with 4 doors. It has its work CUT OUT for it (3rd gen) against the FM based car.
And since many of us here mod the suspension anyway, it's a moot point.

The reason re-sale is an issue is b/c it makes a new car less desireable. People are proud to own a car that keeps its value and held in high regard. To buy a new car and see it sold for 50% of its value in 2 years is disheartning. Especially since we are talking the 50-60k price range loaded.

Yes, we can all agree the new M35/45 is another great step as Infiniti tries to establish itself after 14 years. The interior blows me away. If this car drives as sporty as the G35, watch out 5 series.
Old 10-21-04, 04:35 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I read that the Infiniti M was being discontinued after 2006.
Old 10-21-04, 11:56 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally posted by chicagoblknazn
I read that the Infiniti M was being discontinued after 2006.
The current M is being replaced by this new M and the Q is being discontinued after the 05 MY.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS vs. 2006 Infiniti M