GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus GS 430 - DOA

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 08:13 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS 430 - DOA

On Saturday night, we took a trip down to Peachtree City for a house warming party. Of course, we drove the Lexus (picture 1) because it was a fancy party (they had beer AND food). However, because Peachtree City is so far out of town, we had to stop for gas on the way home. There were strong storms that night, and the gas station had some standing water (picture 2), but that should not be a problem, right?

As I pulled around to the pump, the 2-3 inches of water swelled up and we were suddenly bogging with the Lexus. The third picture shows the area we drove thru, and the fourth shows the water up to my knees. The Lexus pulled thru the water, but then it coughed and died. We were out of the deep water, but we knew there was trouble. Oil was floating in the water beside the car.

But hey, its just a little water, how much damage could it do? And how would a quick bath hurt a 300 hp V8? Oh yeah, the large air intake is right above the radiator, which pulled the water directly into the engine. The last three pictures show the blown engine. You can see the hole in the middle of the first picture. The second is a close up, the hole is the size of your fist. The third picture shows the smaller, second hole blown thru the side of the engine block (yellow outline).

Insurance should be covering the damage, and they may actually total the car later this week. Totalled? From a a little water? To repair the damage, the dealer (Hennessy at Peachtree) will have to install a new engine. The dealer says that the new engine will cost $20,000!!! And that is before diagnosing the transmission or any electronics and computers.

So, that was my weekend. No one was hurt, and I may be buying a new toy this weekend. Enjoy the pictures.

I haven't been on the board in awhile, it's been a crazy year. But thanks again to DaveGS4 and 1SICKLEX for the advice on the car. I did not have any mods, but it was still a great ride.

Brent Young

Last edited by youngatl; 08-25-04 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 08:14 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

GS430
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:16 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

A little water...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:17 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

More water...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:17 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:21 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Air intake (not mine, I had to pull it from the gallery)
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:21 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear that man...i will never drive my car in flood ever again...i've driven through water that met up right at the bottom of my car but never any higher than that. hope you will be buying another lexus with that vip money.
Old 08-25-04, 08:22 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Engine #1
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:23 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Engine #2
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:24 PM
youngatl
Driver School Candidate

Engine #3
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-04, 08:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how fast did you go through the shizz. Did it come in through the doors? How many miles did she have?

That sucks man. I would lose tons of sleep!
Old 08-25-04, 08:57 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Did I read that correctly? $20,000 for the engine? Wow. How come?

Ed
Old 08-25-04, 09:10 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that sucked! How did the engine blow? Once water gets in, doesn't the engine just die out?

I guess the $20k engine is a brand new GS430 engine.

Let us know how it goes with the insurance company.
Old 08-25-04, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Wow, that sucked! How did the engine blow? Once water gets in, doesn't the engine just die out?

I guess the $20k engine is a brand new GS430 engine.

Let us know how it goes with the insurance company.
no way. when the car is running normal, it takes in air and ignite. but if water gets in, you compress water. imagine the pressure. that's hydrolock and often times you blow the engine

sorry to hear the problem man hate to see gs430 bite the dust. but yeah, if the engine is blown, very likely the car is gone....
Old 08-25-04, 10:12 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Lexus GS 430 - DOA

Originally posted by youngatl
On Saturday night, we took a trip down to Peachtree City for a house warming party. Of course, we drove the Lexus (picture 1) because it was a fancy party (they had beer AND food). However, because Peachtree City is so far out of town, we had to stop for gas on the way home. There were strong storms that night, and the gas station had some standing water (picture 2), but that should not be a problem, right?

As I pulled around to the pump, the 2-3 inches of water swelled up and we were suddenly bogging with the Lexus. The third picture shows the area we drove thru, and the fourth shows the water up to my knees. The Lexus pulled thru the water, but then it coughed and died. We were out of the deep water, but we knew there was trouble. Oil was floating in the water beside the car.

But hey, its just a little water, how much damage could it do? And how would a quick bath hurt a 300 hp V8? Oh yeah, the large air intake is right above the radiator, which pulled the water directly into the engine. The last three pictures show the blown engine. You can see the hole in the middle of the first picture. The second is a close up, the hole is the size of your fist. The third picture shows the smaller, second hole blown thru the side of the engine block (yellow outline).

Insurance should be covering the damage, and they may actually total the car later this week. Totalled? From a a little water? To repair the damage, the dealer (Hennessy at Peachtree) will have to install a new engine. The dealer says that the new engine will cost $20,000!!! And that is before diagnosing the transmission or any electronics and computers.

So, that was my weekend. No one was hurt, and I may be buying a new toy this weekend. Enjoy the pictures.

I haven't been on the board in awhile, it's been a crazy year. But thanks again to DaveGS4 and 1SICKLEX for the advice on the car. I did not have any mods, but it was still a great ride.

Brent Young
Damn dude, no condolances. Damn. Damn.....

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 430 - DOA