GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My track time and performance data before Torque Convertor Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 05:50 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My track time and performance data before Torque Convertor Install

Okay,

I am heading down to SRT this weekend to get the TC installed. I have taken in several runs from 0-60mph and a couple 1/4 mi runs over the past 2 weeks before my TC install. The only engine mods I currently have is a K&N intake, yellow top optima battery, and grounding wires. I have all the suspension mods out there for the GS and currently run on 245-45-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Based on a suggestion from RMMGS4, I went out and got a G-timer to get some performance results on the car. I think many of us GS owners are overly optimistic on how fast our cars really run. I recorded some hard data and I was shocked to see I was running a bit slower than what the GS is advertised to run at:
Advertised rate found on lexus web site for a 1999 GS400: 0-60mph in 5.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.3 seconds.

Actual rate that I got using the Bel-FX-2 G-Timer.

My top 3 times before TC install:

1. 0-60 mph in 5.95 seconds and 1/4 mi in 14.5
2. 0-60 mph in 6.02 seconds and 1/4 mi in 14.6
3. 0-60 mph in 6.07 seconds and 1/4 mi in 14.7

Out of about 8 runs I only managed a single run to break into the 5 second range. Remember, these are my top 3 runs....most of my runs averaged about 6.2 seconds. Also, I found the fastest way to launch the car for me was to leave it in D and power brake to about 2000 RPM's and barely chirp/spin the tire and than stomp the gas pedal all the way. My usual method of putting it in L than 2nd, 3rd and up shifting based on RPM's actually gave me slower times.

I am hoping to get better times after the TC install
Stay tuned, I will post some initial feedback after this Sunday when I return from SRT.
Old 07-29-04, 08:17 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the numbers. I'm waiting to get my TC installed as well.

Last edited by r00kie; 07-29-04 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 08:48 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent Drew !

Very good detailed report.

Your numbers are quite respectable, based on all the testing we have done in NorCal.

As far as your launch methods, you are dead on to what I have found. The quickest launch will be to chirp the tires lightly and then grab ' n' go. If the tires spin for much more than a second then your times will be slower, even though it "feels" better. This is the main reason why I hate to hear reviews based on the old butt-o-meter, cause it is deceiving. As for launching methodology, the tranny upshifts better in drive than humanly possible so leave it in drive.

Launching rpm will depend on the road surface. You will get better times on a rocky asphalt surface vs. a smooth newly paved surface.

Please make sure to do your follow up runs on the same road surface whatever you do. And if you can do it under about the same wheather conditions and time of day as the first test , that would be good. Also record tire pressures and how much gas is in your tank. An empty tank result will be quite different than full, so make sure you have the same amount of gas for both tests.

Doing all this will assure more consistent results and more reliable data.

Can't wait for your results.

Old 07-29-04, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is awesome drew, very very good result if you ask me. that's very fast time with stock tires!

now my concern is, after you put in the tc, you will have a tough time lauching the car

keep us posted!
Old 07-29-04, 09:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Very good report Drew! I am also looking forward to your test results after your TC install.
Old 07-29-04, 01:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One other FWIW

You also have to take into account the time of year and the heat factor. You'd have to get the car mag test data and the ambient temp when they were tested, to see if your GS is representative of the "norm" or not.

I know the guys in my other car club / group ( T-Bird SC's) can run .2 to .4 faster when it's below 65 degrees. One guy runs .6 faster in the quarter from summer to winter, with all other things being the same. That's a LOT.

Best of luck.
Old 07-29-04, 10:40 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: One other FWIW

Originally posted by Guitarman
You also have to take into account the time of year and the heat factor. You'd have to get the car mag test data and the ambient temp when they were tested, to see if your GS is representative of the "norm" or not.
His best time is within 1 to 4 % of what some magazines have reported (depends which mag). As I responded earlier, we've done testing within our local group as well and concur that his times are consistent. Given all the other variables like what you've mentioned and then factor in that Drew has had limited launch practice, I'd say his times are representative.

Originally posted by Guitarman
You also have to take into account the time of year and the heat factor.
I know the guys in my other car club / group ( T-Bird SC's) can run .2 to .4 faster when it's below 65 degrees. One guy runs .6 faster in the quarter from summer to winter, with all other things being the same. That's a LOT.
Wow, .6 is def a big diff. Makes me wanna do some winter testing.

When it comes time for Drew to pursue a "Best ever Time", your suggestions would be good advice, but don't lose site of the purpose of this testing and what he is trying to achieve. We all want to know how much improvement the TQ addition will contribute to his cars performance. So it is more important to focus on emulating the test conditions of these inital test runs, to make a fair comparison when the TQ gets installed. Example: If the ambient temp was 75 degrees at 5pm on the first tests, then he should try to do the next tests under those same conditions.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-29-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 02:23 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Drew,

Well done!! Just curious what total cost for TC and install was quoted from SRT. Just wondering...~R
Old 07-30-04, 09:44 AM
Guitarman

Wow, .6 is def a big diff. Makes me wanna do some winter testing.
Amen brother! The problem for a lot of the country is that they close the tracks down in the winter. Here in Florida, it ( Orlando Speedworld in my case) stays open all year, and we DO occasionally dip into the 30's and 40's ( at night of course) in Jan, Feb etc. That kind of dense air compared to the humid 80's and 90's sure can make a marked difference in track times.

I don't run my SC'ed T-Bird at the track, but I can tell you it feels a LOT stronger in the cold air. Maybe 30 HP worth on mine. I love winter driving, even in Florida.

Best wishes Drew, you go boyee.
Old 07-31-04, 10:03 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Two thumbs up Drew!

Your times are close to mine as well. (95k miles)

Looking forward to your TC times since I just bought one too!!!
Old 08-01-04, 08:51 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default DREWGS4..How is new TC? Tests yet?

Just wondering....~R
Old 08-02-04, 12:54 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,
I got back from SRT this past weekend. Mo is a great guy and really knows his stuff. They successfully installed my EDFC and changed out all my fluids. Ran into a problem with TC install. The Torque Convertor sent from precision industries was not an exact fit because of misaligned threads. Mo, could not install the TC and I will have to go back for the install. I have no update on the performance of the car other than its is shifting a whole lot smoother and no rough idle. I think this is because of the fluid changes. Hopefully, I will get a chance to go down there next week some time and finish the TC install
We clocked a 0-60mph time on one run with Mo driving and myself in the passenger seat. It was boiling hot outside, and we still managed a run at 6.2 sec. Not bad considering there were two of us in the car, my luggage in the trunk and hot hot weather outside. I will update everyone again when the TC finally gets installed. In the meantime, I plan on gathering more data and see if the fluid changes, new plugs, TRD thermostat and Perma tranny cooler, make any difference.....all of which were installed during my visit to SRT.

BTW, EDFC is really cool. I love the ability to change on the fly at any speeds. The dampening changes instantly within 2-3 seconds from 0-0 to 31-31. This came in handy on my trip back to NJ on route 95. There was a newer corvette convertible, newer BMW 325i and myself all going at least 90mph. At one point the road just opened up with no traffic and the corvette just nailed it. The BMW and myself floored it as well. I quickly pressed the pre-programmed button hard 0-0 settings and the steering gets harder and the coilovers get firmer.
We got to 130mph and the corvette did gain on me but only slightly. As for the BMW, he was no where to be found and was way way back of us.
Nice to have the ability to change the driving mode instantly...well worth the money IMHO.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 08-03-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ummm just one thing.... 31-31 is the softest setup. 0-0 should be the hardest setup. everything starts from the stiffest settings i believe

Last edited by rominl; 08-02-04 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 04:34 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
ummm just one thing.... 31-31 is the softest setup. 0-0 should be the hardest setup. everything starts from the stiffest settings i believe
i was going to say ...31-31

is this something new

too bad about the tc install i was hoping to hear your new numbers

guess youll find out next week

Last edited by rominl; 08-02-04 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 05:58 PM
AmmarithGS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrewGS4, was the VSC on or off when you did your runs.

Quick Reply: My track time and performance data before Torque Convertor Install