GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Major rattle from beneath trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 05:42 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Major rattle from beneath trunk

Do any of you have this? I was going over a bumpy road the other day and heard a loud rattle coming from the back of my car. I figured it was the rear license plate frame. Well, it's not. Basically, if I hit my trunk or spoiler with the palm of my hand, I hear this really loud metal on metal rattle coming from underneath the car. I also hear it when I close the trunk. I got down underneath the car and hit the gas tank a few times, and it seems to be coming from there. I don't think it's coming from inside the gas tank, but I can't be sure. My car is a little low on gas right now, so maybe the weight of a full tank of gas will make it go away. Has anyone else heard this rattle? I really thought it was the license plate frame clanking around, so that's the best way to describe it. Thanks.

e-man
Old 06-18-04, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Look where the spare tire compartments are (pull off the carpet in the trunk). I am sure there is something that came loose (tool, lugnut, something) and that is what is making that noise.
Old 06-18-04, 05:49 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks. Could be a tire tool, but I don't think so but it sounds much like a much lighter metal on metal contact. I don't have to hit the trunk very hard for it to make the noise, and it definitely reverberates a few times. The license plate frame rattle is the best way I can describe it. It's more of a shaking rattle than a heavy tool rattle. I'll check it out and let you know. Anyone else have any idea? I'm really not being nitpicky here. The sound is pretty darn loud (loud enough for me to hear while I'm driving).
Old 06-18-04, 06:27 PM
LexFather

Make sure the lug nuts on your rear wheels are tight. That happened to me before. A loud thunk and it was the lugnuts needing tightning.
Old 06-18-04, 07:27 PM
e-man
Pole Position

1SICKLEX:

I am changing my CL handle from e-man to D-man, the capital D standing for DUMBA$$. You were totally right. The jack lever/crank tool had come loose from its place and was clanking against the spare tire well area. The reason the clanking sounded like a very light, reverberating metal on metal was because the tool was suspended between the spare tire and the side of the spare tire well (i.e., as if it were weightless) and it was vibrating/rattling against the side of the spare tire well. Thanks for the help. Feel free to absolutely ignore any future posts I make, because chances are they will be totally idiotic. Thanks again.

D-man
Old 06-18-04, 08:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

haha well, that's why you should love this forum, we got all the info and solution for you
Old 06-18-04, 09:36 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by e-man
1SICKLEX:

I am changing my CL handle from e-man to D-man, the capital D standing for DUMBA$$. You were totally right. The jack lever/crank tool had come loose from its place and was clanking against the spare tire well area. The reason the clanking sounded like a very light, reverberating metal on metal was because the tool was suspended between the spare tire and the side of the spare tire well (i.e., as if it were weightless) and it was vibrating/rattling against the side of the spare tire well. Thanks for the help. Feel free to absolutely ignore any future posts I make, because chances are they will be totally idiotic. Thanks again.

D-man
Hey, all 10,000 plus of my posts were not all whoring on here . Glad we could help.
Old 06-23-04, 01:37 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone else knew only because it probably happened to them(me too) and we drove around with it like that for a week wondering wath the f*** was that noise!!1