GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with a fix-it ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 11:07 PM
Orbit9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a fix-it ticket

I have a 98 GS400 and I just got a fix-it ticket for missing front license plate. I am in LA and this is the first ever fix-it ticket that I got for missing front plate. Now, does anyone know of any method or thing that I can put my plate at the front without drilling into my bumper? May be a magnetic front plate holder? Anything? Anyone?

Thanks
Old 04-28-04, 11:17 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Just use tie wraps or velcro, but tie wraps will probably work better. Might be other ideas if you use the search function, i know this topic has been talked about before.
Old 04-28-04, 11:42 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't want noticeable holes in your front bumper you can try this DIY...courtesy of rominl.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=74526
Old 04-29-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by BR1AN
If you don't want noticeable holes in your front bumper you can try this DIY...courtesy of rominl.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=74526
yup, fix the problem once and for all
Old 05-01-04, 10:49 PM
Orbit9
Rookie

Thanks for the help.

One more question, I might have found a way to put on the plate without any drilling but the placement of the plate is a little to the side, not like all the way but between the fog light and the center.

Now, will that pass the inspection? Is there a law saying that you have to put it at the center?

Thanks
Old 05-01-04, 11:09 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Orbit9
Now, will that pass the inspection? Is there a law saying that you have to put it at the center?
Only requirements:

Cal Veh Code § 5201, Positioning of plates

License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.
Old 05-02-04, 12:48 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i recently just got one too...i just zip tied/3m double sided taped it down (the gray double sided tape with red peel away) went to my school's campus PD and got it signed off...
Old 05-02-04, 12:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Orbit9
Thanks for the help.

One more question, I might have found a way to put on the plate without any drilling but the placement of the plate is a little to the side, not like all the way but between the fog light and the center.

Thanks
yes the licence plate can be to the side
Old 05-02-04, 10:14 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

the plates are allowed to be off center. look at the New EVO and the older style dodge caravans. their plates are underneath the drivers headlight.
Old 05-03-04, 12:44 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For people in LA or OC.... If you do not have front license plate, please try to avoid driving your car to LAX. My fiance, recently got one as well and I have seen police pull over people like crazy due to the missing of front license plate. This is all because of heighten security measure to avoid potential terrorist plot. Oh yeah, I had several other friends who also got this in LAX.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 05-03-04 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-03-04, 03:42 PM
Orbit9
Rookie

This is just too funny. I got my fix-it ticket right around LAX....

Old 05-03-04, 03:50 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive by LAX every day...I guess I need to be inconspicuous
Old 05-03-04, 03:58 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

A friend of mine got one recently. The police officer told him that, though he would let him "off" with a fix-it ticket, it can now be written up as a moving violation. This was in Santa Barbara near an exotic car meet, and police officers were in force to patrol the area...

Does anyone know if sticking the front plate inside the car, in the windshield on the passenger side, will suffice? If so, I'd just do this when going near the airport. Otherwise, I'll take my chances.
Old 05-03-04, 04:07 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt put it on the dash so it is visible through the windshield, for one i think it is ugly, and two you can still get a ticket for it being there, and three if u do get pulled over for some other reason the officer will first notice it being there so you will have a better chance of getting a ticket for no front plate. the easiast way to get it signed off is to stick a piece of double sided tape on the plate and stick it on the bumper when u get there, and pull it off once it is signed off this way u dont have to deal with any holes. also use a frame it will make it look a little more legit.
Old 05-03-04, 05:16 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

and two you can still get a ticket for it being there
That's what I was unsure about. I agree it looks ugly and is extremely noticeable - it looks like you purposely didn't mount it in front though you knew it had to be on your car. I was just thinking of a temporary fix for driving in high (fix-it ticket) risk areas.

Quick Reply: Help with a fix-it ticket