GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Auto leveling light came on????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Sorry to get off topic, I wanted to post a new thread up.....but I decided to do a SEARCH first.

Is that what the sound is??????

I constantly hear a pressurizing sound on the driverside. But I hear this constantly (even when I'm driving). It's more like the sound a robot makes when it moves its arm or something.....a robotic/pressureized sound that last about 2 - 3 seconds.

Anyway, back on topic. I never knew that I had auto-leveling either! Do 400s come with them or do only 430s come with them? I remember reading through the manual, but I don't think I read anything on auto-leveling. Cool.
um..... are you sure that's the hid? i think it's the brake reservor, i have that all the time. first of all if your hid goes up and down all the time even during normal driving, that's very bad idea, something is wrong with the autoleveling computer. second of all, if you can hear the hid motor moving inside the cabin when driving, man, the motor needs some lube
Old 06-02-04, 03:30 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not the HID motor, do you think it's the brake reservior? I hear it constantly (especially when I'm at a traffic light or driving really really slow where there is no wind noise).

Since you hear it too, I guess it's "normal"? I hear it almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive.
Old 06-02-04, 06:19 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Just realized something....I don't have auto-leveling

I went to lexus.com's CPO library and only the 2000+ GS4s have the HIDs with auto-level. My 99 doesn't. Oh well.
Old 06-02-04, 07:47 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Just realized something....I don't have auto-leveling

I went to lexus.com's CPO library and only the 2000+ GS4s have the HIDs with auto-level. My 99 doesn't. Oh well.
Cadd:

Just a FYI, but ALL GS3/GS4 with HID headlights have autoleveling (so long as it came originally with the car). I have a 99 with HIDs, and I've been in 98's with HIDs, and they all do the autoleveling (down then up) diagnostic when you first start up the car w/ the lights on.

If you don't believe me, turn on the ignition to ON, but don't start up the car. Then turn on your HID headlights and leave the HID headlights to ON (by now, they won't move as it's already too late). Now turn the ignition to OFF, and take out the key, exit the car and push the lock button twice (once to lock the car, twice to shut off the lights). Next, unlock the car, get in, and turn the key ignition to ON (you don't have to start the car), and you'll see that the front HIDs will turn on automatically and do their down-up diagnostic.
Old 06-02-04, 09:02 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Cool!

I didn't go through that process. I just turned my headlights on and off and didn't see any movements. I didn't realize that I had to turn the car to the "ON" position.

Now, what would happen if you have the car in the "ON" position and THEN turn on your lights? An example would be you're driving around and you decide to turn on the lights. When you turn them on, would the auto-adjust?

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

BTW, why doesn't the CPO library in the Lexus website show MY1999 have the auto adjustment?

But thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-04, 09:20 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Cool!

I didn't go through that process. I just turned my headlights on and off and didn't see any movements. I didn't realize that I had to turn the car to the "ON" position.

Now, what would happen if you have the car in the "ON" position and THEN turn on your lights? An example would be you're driving around and you decide to turn on the lights. When you turn them on, would the auto-adjust?

BTW, why doesn't the CPO library in the Lexus website show MY1999 have the auto adjustment?

But thanks for the info.
If say you were driving, then turned on your HID headlights, your headlights will just fire forward and adjust to aim the beam parallel to the road as it's supposed to (FYI, at this time, it won't do it's initial down-up diagnostic). The only time it'll do its down-up diagnostic is when you first put your keys in and turn it to "ON" or to start up the car--even if you have the headlights to "OFF", it'll still do a down-up diagnostic to test the motor actuators. If somethign is wrong with your car's HID headlights, the dash HID warning light will light up and remain lit up.

Nice to know your car has the autolevelers eh?

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-02-04 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:04 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

The autoleveling diagnostics are very noticeable at night - I'm surprised to see so many people who never saw it before.

One thing I noticed was that the autoleveling on my 99 GS4 was very slow to react compared to the RX330 I got as a loaner. When going up/down driveways, there would be a 1 second delay before the headlights re-aimed themselves, whereas on the RX330, it seems like the reaction was immediate.
Old 06-03-04, 09:09 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

If it's not the HID motor, do you think it's the brake reservior? I hear it constantly (especially when I'm at a traffic light or driving really really slow where there is no wind noise).

Since you hear it too, I guess it's "normal"? I hear it almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive.
It's most probably this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=ABS+self+test
Old 06-03-04, 05:52 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Thx Phantom!
Old 06-03-04, 10:21 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know how many sensors the auto leveling system has? Anybody had any problems when they swapped out their OEM strut/springs with lowered ones?
Old 06-03-04, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by rgarjr
Anybody know how many sensors the auto leveling system has? Anybody had any problems when they swapped out their OEM strut/springs with lowered ones?
i believe two, one for front wheel and one for rear wheel. if you put on coilover and lower the rear really bad without the front going low, it could make the light comes on
Old 06-04-04, 12:32 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by rgarjr
Romini has it right--2 tandem sets (front-rear for each side). The computers monitor the level difference between the front and rear units and modify the angle of the headlight on that side accordingly. That is, if you lower your car evenly, the drop will be the same and it won't affect your autoleveler function--but if you get an asymmetrical drop (i.e. back lower than the front) like romini suggested, then, yes, you'll have it constantly aim at a different angle to get it to shine parallel to the road.
Old 04-30-10, 01:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
The autoleveling diagnostics are very noticeable at night - I'm surprised to see so many people who never saw it before.

One thing I noticed was that the autoleveling on my 99 GS4 was very slow to react compared to the RX330 I got as a loaner. When going up/down driveways, there would be a 1 second delay before the headlights re-aimed themselves, whereas on the RX330, it seems like the reaction was immediate.
pretty much makes the autoleveler almost useless. So if I'm driving at night and hitting hills, the leveler will never react fast enough.
Old 05-03-10, 10:15 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisgaddy
I didn't even know I had auto-leveling headlights until I tried this. That was a neat trick. I guess I should go back and read more of the manual, aye? Thanks for the tip!
The auto-leveling feature was only offered on cars equipped with HID headlights.
Old 05-03-10, 02:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
pretty much makes the autoleveler almost useless. So if I'm driving at night and hitting hills, the leveler will never react fast enough.
way to bump a 6 year old thread for nothing sam hahaha

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
The auto-leveling feature was only offered on cars equipped with HID headlights.
dont follow him into this doom. lol jk

Last edited by sakataj; 05-03-10 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto leveling light came on????