GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Damages to the GS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 03:36 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damages to the GS.

I don't know what it is but every week it looks like I find more damages to the bodywork of the GS.
Today I found to medium dents on the hood (paint is also gone at the impact point). I have no clue how it got there.
Someone also used my car is a bumper car when parking so the front bumper and left front fender are damaged as well as the rear bumper from someone putting something on top of it.

There are a couple of other damages that have apeared since I bought the car last december.

It's really pissing me off.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.
Old 03-16-04, 03:47 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Blow off steam? I didnt see any, tell us how you really feel (before I get banned for inciting violance)

At least have some @!#%& in a sentence.
Old 03-16-04, 03:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn richie sorry to hear that man, maybe time for a beater car?
Old 03-16-04, 04:21 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
damn richie sorry to hear that man, maybe time for a beater car?
Yo D....apparently his GS is considered a beater car by other drivers.

Richie....time to park elsewhere bro.
Old 03-16-04, 04:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally posted by PHML

Richie....time to park elsewhere bro.
Yeah, like Belgium.
Old 03-16-04, 04:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Yeah, like Belgium.
Guam has it's perks too
Old 03-16-04, 04:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally posted by O. L. T.
Guam has it's perks too
Yeah, but that's a MUCH longer drive from the Netherlands . Brings new meaning to 'parking in BFE'.

Seriously Richie, sorry to hear about all the dings to your GS!
Old 03-17-04, 06:00 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Damn guys, washed the car today, found to more scratches.
I am seriously going to kill the next person I see close to the car or touching it.

PHML, the GS is my beater car, well..............my only car. Cannot afford a beater and the Lex at the moment.

Dave, walking to Belgium each morning to get the car and drive to work would mean I would have to stop sleeping, LOL. Not the best idea.

What would a totall respray cost for the GS?
Old 03-17-04, 09:16 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Before you consider repainting the car, I'd try the following cheaper options first:

1. Dents/dings. Try to find a reputable paintless dent repair place and they should be able to pop them out. That way, you don't have to worry about getting it repainted. Some shops around Seattle, WA will do a car for $200-375, or $50 per ding. The results are very good, and you don't have to worry about repainting your car.

2. Scratches. Use an automotive paint cleaner and it should help to minimize them. Try Meguiar's Scratch-X or something similar to that--it will take some rubbing, but will be minimized. There's a multitude of car care products out there to minimize the scratches on the car--esp. apparent in a dark color such as your green GS. Also, applying some paint polish (like Meguiar's #9 works great) before applying wax helps to really bring out the shine of your paint and helps to minimize the scratches as well.

3. Rubbed off paint where other cars scraped you. Try using paint lacquer thinner, but be sure to followup with some wax afterwards. On my previous white Acura TL, someone scrapped their R front bumper onto my L rear bumper and left their paint on it--it looked it it was scrapped to the black plastic, but it was just black paint from the other car. Once lacquer thinner was used on the affected area, it took off about 66% of the apparent damage to the paint. Something to note, I initially tried Meguiar's Scratch-X on this, but couldn't get it off easily, and only when a body shop tried the lacquer thinner did the rubbed on paint from the other come off.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-17-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 10:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Before you consider repainting the car, I'd try the following cheaper options first:

1. Dents/dings. Try to find a reputable paintless dent repair place and they should be able to pop them out. That way, you don't have to worry about getting it repainted. Some shops around Seattle, WA will do a car for $200-375, or $50 per ding. The results are very good, and you don't have to worry about repainting your car.

2. Scratches. Use an automotive paint cleaner and it should help to minimize them. Try Meguiar's Scratch-X or something similar to that--it will take some rubbing, but will be minimized. There's a multitude of car care products out there to minimize the scratches on the car--esp. apparent in a dark color such as your green GS. Also, applying some paint polish (like Meguiar's #9 works great) before applying wax helps to really bring out the shine of your paint and helps to minimize the scratches as well.

3. Rubbed off paint where other cars scraped you. Try using paint lacquer thinner, but be sure to followup with some wax afterwards. On my previous white Acura TL, someone scrapped their R front bumper onto my L rear bumper and left their paint on it--it looked it it was scrapped to the black plastic, but it was just black paint from the other car. Once lacquer thinner was used on the affected area, it took off about 66% of the apparent damage to the paint. Something to note, I initially tried Meguiar's Scratch-X on this, but couldn't get it off easily, and only when a body shop tried the lacquer thinner did the rubbed on paint from the other come off.
Thanks for the detailed info man.
I'lle get it looked at when time permits.
Old 03-17-04, 10:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Richie, some one got mad at you because they must've known that you have 10k+ posts and still only
one mod.

Yeah, that sucks when you find dings and dents and that idiot is long gone.
Shows when other people don't give a damn about other people's property.
Old 03-17-04, 12:26 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CrazyGS
Richie, some one got mad at you because they must've known that you have 10k+ posts and still only
one mod.

Yeah, that must be the reason!!
It must be a lack of respect for other peoples propperty.
Old 03-17-04, 12:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

is there some sort of lot or garage where you could park her? the mental comfort would more than offset the monetary loss!
Old 03-17-04, 02:40 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DGOT20s
is there some sort of lot or garage where you could park her? the mental comfort would more than offset the monetary loss!
My parents have a garage at the house but it's full allready.
Since I have no income at the moment, paying for one isn't an option.
Old 03-17-04, 02:56 PM
phluid
Lead Lap

You sure the girl you had been talking about doesnt have a boyfriend?

Quick Reply: Damages to the GS.