GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

automatic headlight leveling system warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 03:14 PM
jomc33
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disabling Headlight Leveling Control Module - ES330

When the headlight leveling system trouble light came on, all the symptoms indicated a failed level sensor at the rear suspension. Fortunately, the failure left the headlights at the normal driving level and they passed state inspection. Later, a $138 diagnostic test at the dealer confirmed the level sensor was bad. The dealer wanted $487 for the part, which is overpriced by about $450, and over $325 for labor and misc, which grossly over charges for the actual labor that would be involved. So rather than pay a total of $839 including taxes to restore a function that many cars don't even have, I decided to unplug the Headlamp Leveling Computer Assembly, part 89960-33090. Doing this would leave the headlights locked where they are and kill the trouble light. Nowhere on this site or anywhere else could I find where this module was located on the ES330. I finally located it behind the ashtray on the center front console.

To reach the module, grasp the curved trim at the rear that surrounds the fake wood panel on the shift console. Pull up with both hands at each back corner. Put the shifter in neutral to move it out of the way. Now pull up and rotate toward the front and the whole top assy, including the ashtray, will lift out. To see a video of this, go about 5 minutes into this video:
Unplug the traction control switch to allow setting the console cover aside. The Headlight Leveling Control Module is the middle one of the three modules you will see. You may be able to unplug its connector, without having to unbolt it, by pressing hard on the release tab on the center left side of that connector.

The trouble light will now be out. If you are uncomfortable with the non-functional leveling system long term, this may give you time to purchase online a replacement sensor. I was able to locate on e-bay for $163. Or you could try to rebuild the defective, but very simple sensor, as a few posts have covered in detail.
The following 2 users liked this post by jomc33:
Jamitch (05-13-21), JayCab96 (02-26-21)
Old 11-08-16, 05:36 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default warning headlight.

your concern for the h l warning light most likely is coming from the vehicle level sensor under the vehilce. Might be failing or need replacing.
Old 11-20-22, 04:22 AM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jomc33
When the headlight leveling system trouble light came on, all the symptoms indicated a failed level sensor at the rear suspension. Fortunately, the failure left the headlights at the normal driving level and they passed state inspection. Later, a $138 diagnostic test at the dealer confirmed the level sensor was bad. The dealer wanted $487 for the part, which is overpriced by about $450, and over $325 for labor and misc, which grossly over charges for the actual labor that would be involved. So rather than pay a total of $839 including taxes to restore a function that many cars don't even have, I decided to unplug the Headlamp Leveling Computer Assembly, part 89960-33090. Doing this would leave the headlights locked where they are and kill the trouble light. Nowhere on this site or anywhere else could I find where this module was located on the ES330. I finally located it behind the ashtray on the center front console.

To reach the module, grasp the curved trim at the rear that surrounds the fake wood panel on the shift console. Pull up with both hands at each back corner. Put the shifter in neutral to move it out of the way. Now pull up and rotate toward the front and the whole top assy, including the ashtray, will lift out. To see a video of this, go about 5 minutes into this video:
How to Install LED Lexus Interior Lights - YouTube Unplug the traction control switch to allow setting the console cover aside. The Headlight Leveling Control Module is the middle one of the three modules you will see. You may be able to unplug its connector, without having to unbolt it, by pressing hard on the release tab on the center left side of that connector.

The trouble light will now be out. If you are uncomfortable with the non-functional leveling system long term, this may give you time to purchase online a replacement sensor. I was able to locate on e-bay for $163. Or you could try to rebuild the defective, but very simple sensor, as a few posts have covered in detail.
That's real wood. Any Lexus has real Japanese wood. That's all.