GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Secret MOD Unveiled....Navigation retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 10:27 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Secret MOD Unveiled....Navigation retrofit

For my 2800th post......I present you.........

Navigation retrofit process for a non NAV car (GS300-400)

As many of you may know I wanted to retrofit the Lexus OEM Navigation system to my GS because I like the way the factory screen integrates with the dash and the ergonomics of the controls etc.

As a refference here is a before pic.....

Well over the past 6 months I have accumulated everything that I need for the swap including the harness end for the various components. I must also give credit to Anh (Bananags) for being patient and answering my millions of questions as I started this project.

Disclaimer:

If you are not comfortable with automotive electronics and schematic reading and soldering, please; PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS SWAP!! Have Anh make you the harness; it will save you hours of headaches as well as several thousands of $$$ (yes I did say THOUSANDS) if you damage any piece of the hardware or your car for that matter!

Anyway, on to the fun stuff…..

Parts required…..

Navigation Screen
Navigation Computer
Navigation HD (The computer may not come with this)
Navigation Antenna
Single din Pioneer Or Nak Radio (this must match the changer in the car now or you will loose CD functionality)
Left & Right radio bracket (You can re-use the ones off your current radio and Ac controls)
Additional Bracket for the navigational computer
A speaker (I used a Blaupunk 3.5” coaxial)
5 10 mm nuts (for securing the NAV computer)
Zip ties, Band aids (you will NEED these)

Last and certainly not least the connectors for all of the pieces (good luck getting these)!

Before you begin you will have to fabricate a harness using the connectors that you have for each of the components. The harness and the plugs required are not in a non NAV car so they MUST be fabricated. Please use a good quality cable as you have to keep in mind that you are carying video traffic through it. You can attempt it yourself or I strongly suggest giving Anh a call!! For waht is involved in making this harness properly, his prices are very good!! (You'll see if you attempt it yourself) This is not a simple task so be very careful. The attached schematic may help some. Again, see disclaimer above.

Schematic 1

Schematic 2

Plug pinouts

You will have to remove the instrument cluster to tap the speed sensor wire that the Nav system requires. If you have reached this far, you will know which plug and wire to tap! but just in case you do not, its C13B, Pin #6! You should also use this time to mount the speaker for the voice part of the navigation. I mounted mine facing downwards so that it could be heard easier.

A word of caution here....

Anh does not recommend running the output from the Nav unit through some external amplifier because it may dammage the NAV computer. If you have done this and your nav system is still orking please PM me!!

The installation for the various pieces is not that difficult however the running of the harness might pose a challenge to some. The easiest way to do it is to completely remove the back seat, rear parcel shelf cover and center console.

While the parcel shelf is out you may want to attach the navigation antenna to it to save you some time later. I mounted mine about 3 inches from the rear passenger side. Here is a pic to help identify the positionn....

Well after running the harness and connecting the speaker etc......may I now introduce you to a GS 300 NAV retrofit.......

One more with the system coming online......

More pics to follow......
Old 02-17-04, 10:28 AM
Letsride

Audio screen........

Old 02-17-04, 10:29 AM
Letsride

Climate ........

Old 02-17-04, 10:30 AM
Letsride

Like factory......

Old 02-17-04, 10:35 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I could help.
=)

now, get that TV input to work then you are set. if you are patient, you can pull the wood out (on the screen) and get something that match your dash better (nothing a little heatgun won't remove)

Anh
Old 02-17-04, 10:38 AM
Letsride

Anh..... I have the new pieces ordered and they should be here this week. I had the HD upgraded to the latest code Sept03!! Works great.......
Old 02-17-04, 10:56 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

man i want to do this but just dont know where to get the parts. *sigh* Letsride where did u find most of ur parts?
Old 02-17-04, 11:03 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey man thats great work, this is one of those huge projects that soem might not appreciate but its a great mod imo...good job...
Old 02-17-04, 11:27 AM
phluid
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bluelex
hey man thats great work, this is one of those huge projects that soem might not appreciate but its a great mod imo...good job...
I second those comments.. nice job
Old 02-17-04, 11:33 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I wanted to do the retrofit to my car, but I'm terrified.

Last edited by chicagoblknazn; 02-17-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 11:50 AM
stckyfngz
Lead Lap

congrats...looks good
Old 02-17-04, 11:56 AM
Letsride

Originally posted by joshoowa
man i want to do this but just dont know where to get the parts. *sigh* Letsride where did u find most of ur parts?
Junk yards and the dealer. The parts are not cheap but neither is my car
Old 02-17-04, 11:57 AM
Letsride

Thanks guys....it was all worth the wait
Old 02-17-04, 12:14 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Congrats Bro!!!! This is EXACTLY the mod I want to do so badly but as someone else mentioned - "I am terrified" to do it myself.

I wonder if the same parts can be gotten through Steve Ganz for less than what you paid at your dealer? Can you please pm me with the cost of the total system if you don't mind? I want to do this mod so badly.....

I am debating the cost and difficulty of this compared to what RMMGS4 did in his car.
Old 02-17-04, 12:16 PM
Letsride

Hameed, thanks!! If you can do a stereo install you can do this......if you have the right parts!!

Quick Reply: Secret MOD Unveiled....Navigation retrofit