GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD chasis braces

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-01, 12:14 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys, ive done Ltuned suspension srtup, and i love it!!! but im thinking to put the TRD chasis braces on my GS430 also, i dont wanna the TRD strut tower cuz i hav to take the engine cover out........sad......(the 430's engine cover's very beautiful, isn't it..?) so....any difference if i only put the chasis braces??? front and rear, but NO strut tower bar on top of the engine?? does the chasis braces make the car even stiffer??? especially when i corner with high speed!!

kyle/01GS430/Ltuned suspension/ECU
Old 04-01-01, 01:11 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How About RMM?

Kyle - Have U checked with RMM to see if their STB will fit over the engine cover? Don't know about the 430's but it does over the 400. The lower chassis brace will stiffen things up but I'd wager that an upper STB would be more effective, simply because the GS has a chassis brace already, albeit a pretty flimsy one ( too light & hollow ).
Old 04-01-01, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Agreed the STB will do more than the CB.

STB is a good addition!
Old 04-01-01, 07:38 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

hey thanks for the input guys!
i wonder if the RMM STB will fit on GS430???
Old 04-06-01, 08:09 AM
kodai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the RMM front tower bar will not fit the GS430. The only way to make it fit is to remove the engine cover. I for one won't remove such a nice cover. You should also look into a rear bar from Cusco. below is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails TRD chasis braces-dsc00080.jpg  
Old 04-06-01, 10:07 AM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kodai...

How much did the cusco rear bar cost you and did you have to cut into the trunk to get the bar to fit? Looks like you did...thanks bro
Old 04-06-01, 07:46 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

kodai,

Also, who did you get it from? I believe in your other post you said you have Tein coilovers. Does the Cusco rear bar provide access to adjust the Tein stiffness?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-01, 11:37 PM
kodai
Driver

VeilsideGS3-

I only had to cut the liner. That was it. It took about 15min. to install after getting the liner out of the way. Cool thing is that the end plates mount under the liner. The cost was about $220. Again worth evry dime.

QBranchCars---

The guy at GReddy gave me to a shop near my house. You should call them for a dealer near you. Also, yes the tower bar does still allow me to adjust the suspension if needed.
Old 04-07-01, 09:13 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Default Cusco rear STB

I have a supplier for the Cusco rear STB, $162.00 plus shipping. They have a few in stock so if you want one let me know.
Old 04-07-01, 12:05 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

kyle3481-
Throw that engine cover in your garage and get the upper strut bar. The engine cover does nothing and a Upper strut bar would make a big difference in handling.

That must be one really nice engine cover if you would keep it on over stiffening your chasis.

From what I have heard from a few different shops is that the chassis underbraces will NOT make that big of a difference. You probably wouldnt even notice when you take a corner.
Old 04-07-01, 02:24 PM
kodai
Driver

Sounds like some one just stepped out of and Honda and into an IS. What are talking about taking the cover off. Half the appeal of the engine area is the cover when you open the hood. RMM is working on a front bar to be used with the engine cover on. If anyone is interested just call and ask them when it well go on sale. RMM phone number is 714-847-2158
Old 04-07-01, 05:02 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by kodai
Sounds like some one just stepped out of and Honda and into an IS. What are talking about taking the cover off. Half the appeal of the engine area is the cover when you open the hood. RMM is working on a front bar to be used with the engine cover on. If anyone is interested just call and ask them when it well go on sale. RMM phone number is 714-847-2158
I did not jump from honda to lexus. I am a car enthusiast. The engine cover does nothing! It is what is under that cover that matters. I was just stating my opinion. If I had to remove my engine cover to fit a upper strut bar I wouldnt even have to think about it. That cover would be straight into my garage.

Once again..

Engine Cover= DOES NOTHING
Upper Strut Bar= DOES A LOT

Old 04-08-01, 01:46 AM
kodai
Driver

Every part of a car is for a reason. Just as A is to B and B to C. Even if it is just for looks. Compaines are in development of product that will work with the factory parts in place. I for one did not but a Lexus GS just to take parts off and set them aside. Even if they are only for looks. I can wait for the CORRECT FITTING parts to become avaible. I also hope that others feel the same way and not start hacking there cars up. So you are wrong Black IS300. The egine cover does do some thing even if it is just for looks. I think I can also say that you did not buy a Lexus IS to hack it up, correct? Thats why we bought the cars we have. The hole car makes the exceperince engine covers and all. I don't think you can disagree can you?
Old 04-08-01, 01:48 AM
kodai
Driver

sorry, forgot to spell check. Forgive me it's late..lol
Old 04-08-01, 10:15 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by kodai
Every part of a car is for a reason. Just as A is to B and B to C. Even if it is just for looks. Compaines are in development of product that will work with the factory parts in place. I for one did not but a Lexus GS just to take parts off and set them aside. Even if they are only for looks. I can wait for the CORRECT FITTING parts to become avaible. I also hope that others feel the same way and not start hacking there cars up. So you are wrong Black IS300. The egine cover does do some thing even if it is just for looks. I think I can also say that you did not buy a Lexus IS to hack it up, correct? Thats why we bought the cars we have. The hole car makes the exceperince engine covers and all. I don't think you can disagree can you?

I completely Disagree. Taking off a engine cover is hardly considered hacking your car up. If I looked under your hood I would be more impressed if I saw a upper strut bar than a a stupid engine cover. Especially because I know the Upper Strut bar has a function besides collecting dust.

So I am wrong because I have my own opinion? Im sorry.. I thought I was allowed to give my opinion, but because kodai tells me Im wrong.. I must be. I dont feel the need to explain myself on this anymore... I already told you how I feel and I guess I was "wrong."

Last edited by Black_IS300; 04-08-01 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: TRD chasis braces