GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New member with the obliatory questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-04, 06:09 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with the obliatory questions...

Hi all,

First off wanted to say looking around here, that you guys/gals handle yourself in SUCH a better manner than most car forums I've looked at.

GS300/400 are just one of many on my list that I've recently looked at purchasing, as you will be able to tell I have a WIDE variety in tastes.

Test driven a RX-8, G35, B5 S4. Looked at: MKIV Supra, E36 M3 (with intent to turbo), IS300 (with intent to turbo), S class MB's, C32, EVO, and 540i 6 speed. This is no where near the complete list.
As you can tell I have a thing for speed, but I'm still partial to my sedans.

IS300 is out, too many problems and money to upgrade. EVO is out, just not enough luxury. G35 was an absolute HORROR to drive. Hated every second of it. After starting it up and pulling out of the dealership I might as well have flipped around and headed back in. Really like the RX-8, but rotary/mazda reliability. S4 was fast, but there are problems with those turbos. You get my point. I'm trying to get it all and not pay a ton for it.

I'm not the kind of person to take my car to the track, nor can I really see myself doing pulls of up to 140 mph. Just no irresponsible like that. (I apologize to those that don't mind doing that, but the risk I have to take and the outcome is just not worth it to me.) I want luxury but I want quickness when I feel like having it.

I recently started looking at the current GS's and the last SC's (not the current, don't know lexus terminology yet ) Sounds like when you buy the 300's of these you can turbo/supercharge to equal the 400's and a little bit farther. Now my questions are:

Did the GS300 and SC300 come with manuals? (I prefer manual)

If so can the manual transmission reliably (Lexus reliability) handle the newfound power?

If not do the auto transmissions reliably (again Lexus reliability) handle it?

Any extra $$$ that would have to be dumped into either to maintain the excellent reliability?

Also if anyone is like me what does your insurance look like on SC300 or SC400 or GS300 or GS400?

22 y/o about to be 23
Outstanding credit
Perfect history

I have Farmers now ( I hate them) about to change. Farmers gave my g/f and I the "married rate" because we live together, and we pay 143/month for the 2003 A4 we have. A local insurance company which we are about to go with will give me 105/month for my Audi with just me on the policy.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about my diary of a first post!
Old 01-18-04, 06:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome!

Did the GS300 and SC300 come with manuals? (I prefer manual)
++SC300 came with a 5 speed, GS300 only automatic. 2001 and up have e-shift on the steering wheel

If so can the manual transmission reliably (Lexus reliability) handle the newfound power?
++Yes (on the SC300) to a point.

If not do the auto transmissions reliably (again Lexus reliability) handle it?
++Yes to a point. Many folks with FI get a valve body upgrade. I think the upper limits that have been tested on a GS auto tranny are around 550 RWHP (from memory).

If you haven't already, just test drive a GS400 and see if it's enough power for you. If so, that will be your simplist solution. If you want more than that, I'd recommend getting a GS300 and doing FI. SC300 5-speeds are nice too, but hard to find and will be older.
Old 01-18-04, 06:24 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input Dave. Its really hard for me to get out and test drive anything, because of full time school, 33-40 hours/wk work, g/f, and family stuff.

I have heard that the e-shift is "poorly designed" at least on the IS300. How does everyone like it on the GS?

My thinking was that the GS400 would be much higher on the insurance than the 300, so I was trying to see if I could sneak by. Vetty vetty sneaky (what movie is that from? ) I don't what 500 rwhp. I don't think I even want 400 rwhp. something around 320 rwhp would probably suffice my needs.
Old 01-18-04, 06:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by J-Money
Thanks for the input Dave. Its really hard for me to get out and test drive anything, because of full time school, 33-40 hours/wk work, g/f, and family stuff.

I have heard that the e-shift is "poorly designed" at least on the IS300. How does everyone like it on the GS?

My thinking was that the GS400 would be much higher on the insurance than the 300, so I was trying to see if I could sneak by. Vetty vetty sneaky (what movie is that from? ) I don't what 500 rwhp. I don't think I even want 400 rwhp. something around 320 rwhp would probably suffice my needs.
Mr Deeds, of course.

E-shift is no SMG, but I love mine. I don't use it for performance though... when I want to go in a straight line fast I just keep it in power mode and turn off skid control. I use it to downshift in preparation for turns, slow down for lights, and prep for any highway 'rolls' I might be involved in... gotta keep it in 3rd to be in the sweet spot.

I don't think the differential in insurance is that great... just call your agent and ask! I'm 100% certain the difference will cost you far less than adding a turbo to your car.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-18-04 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 06:36 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

awww, come on Dave. I'm the typical american. I WANT IT NOW!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to find out for sure what date my insurance for this month on Farmers will go until, then I'll set up with the new company.

Good job with the answer too!
Old 01-18-04, 06:59 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey good luck man, and as info, i went from a 96 GS3 to a 98 GS4 and my insurance did not change!!

I think you will like the GS400, and when you drive it, if it doesnt feel fast, just look down at the speedo! Trust me you will get a 20-30mph surprise
Old 01-18-04, 07:01 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

DGOT20S nice to know about the insurace. Not to sound like a dating service but whats your age/location? Just being that you could be such a low risk that it didn't really matter?
Old 01-18-04, 07:14 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I live in Mass, and I turned 25 in October (i got the new car in November). I asked my insurance lady if my age had anything to do with the rate staying the same and she said no, it has to do with your driving record/ points/ etc. in mass they call it a step program, ie, a step 9 is a perfect driver (or just the guy that has no accidents because he causes all of them! LOL)
Old 01-18-04, 07:18 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DGOT20s
it has to do with your driving record/ points/ etc. in mass they call it a step program, ie, a step 9 is a perfect driver (or just the DUMB B**CH IN THE SUV that has no accidents because SHE causes all of them! LOL)
Specifically for the Northwest I have changed your quote slightly.

Thanks again for the information. I saw the link for the gb on the headers, so maybe I can just modify slightly a GS4 and call it good.

Last edited by J-Money; 01-18-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 07:19 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Question Did anyone consider an Acura RL....

Just wondering what people were looking at buying, before they bought their GS.
Old 01-18-04, 07:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: Did anyone consider an Acura RL....

JM,

I've never seen anyone look at an Acura RL vs a GS. Just try reading the forums back a few pages and you'll see a LOT of discussion over what folks are comparing to the GS in their search or what they may be selling their GS for...

Top few I recall seeing over and over:

BMW 5 series, esp 540
Acura TL-S
Lexus LS400 / LS430
Lexus IS300
Old 01-18-04, 07:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Did anyone consider an Acura RL....

Here are several cars I test drove before buying my GS.

1. Chevy Corvette/ Chevy Tahoe
2. BMW 330ci & 540i
3. MBZ E320 & C320

By the way, Welcome to the club.
Old 01-18-04, 07:52 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Wow you were all over the board just like me.

By the way, I LOVE your car. I forget who's it is but someones GS is on my wallpaper right now. Its a driver side quarter angle shot at night ( I think on top of a hospital)
Old 01-18-04, 08:04 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you were all over the board just like me.

By the way, I LOVE your car. I forget who's it is but someones GS is on my wallpaper right now. Its a driver side quarter angle shot at night ( I think on top of a hospital)

Old 01-18-04, 08:07 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Specifically for the Northwest I have changed your quote slightly.

Thanks again for the information. I saw the link for the gb on the headers, so maybe I can just modify slightly a GS4 and call it good.
Yeah man the drivers up here in the Northeast are a trip!! It funny I came back on and read your post and thought to myself "damn did I curse in my thread?" LOL

Quick Reply: New member with the obliatory questions...