GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NO Timing belt or water pump with 90k service at lexus of cerritos?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-03, 11:34 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO Timing belt or water pump with 90k service at lexus of cerritos?

I know that this should be in the maintnance forum but I wanted to get info from other GS owners

I took my car in today for the 90k service and I received the service contract. on the service contract It doesnt say anything about changing the water pump or changing of timing belt. this is what it lists

-90k trans/coolent/brake/ maintnance

replace engine oil and filter
replace engine air filter
replace oil drain plug gasket
perform brake system fluid flush
flush cooling system incl engine and radiator
perform trans service-reseal trans pan and clean filter
check and adjust all tire preasure
replace differnetial oil
retorque suspension bolts
inspect a/c filter
inspect brake pad and and all braking components
check and adjust parking brake
lubricate sway bar bushings
inspect timing belt and advice
inspect ball joints, drive belt ,exhaust fuel system and steering system
hand wash exterior, vacume interior and dress tires.

so I called back and asked if they were going to change the timing belt and water belt and he said no and that it would be an additional 600 bucks!!!!

is this right I was under the impression that it would be included because under edmunds.com it states that the changing of water pump and timing belt is done in the 90k service for about 600.00

I am going to pay 549.00 so has any one experienced this? I was thinking of changing them my self
is it hard? I dont want to pay another 600.00 that could be my TTE lip and other mods!!!!!

please help

-erick

Last edited by LEXISM; 12-27-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-27-03, 11:53 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus of cerritos is a rip off. they overcharge and their service personel are full of crap. their service technicians don't know what they are doing. i had my car inspected there once for the rough idle business, and the service manager Steve K. Simmons gave me attitude. i've written to lexus corp about him and his rudeness toward customers. LEXISM, i would not go back there again if i were you. i would either take ur car to longo lexus or a mechanic that you trust.
Old 12-27-03, 11:57 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man that seems like alot of money for replacing fluids and seeing if bolts are tight. who knows how many they actually do. what i've done is find an independent shop that i trust, and i have them do one thing at a time when i get an oil change. not such a large amount out of pocket at once. some things they've come back to me and said they didn't need done yet. of course everything is cheaper than the dealer. my guess is you could get all this done for $300-$350 at independent. i'm not positive but i think somewhere in the 90-100 thousand mile range for the timing belt is a good time to change it. similiar savings on timing belt. so say $700 vs $1200 at dealer total. good luck i know the dealers make a hugh profit on these services.
Old 12-27-03, 01:54 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is too much for a 90k service. At our shop our price is $350 for the 60k service.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 12-27-03 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-27-03, 02:03 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow man they should change your timing belt at 90k service. my schedule maintenance booklet calls for it. i even spoke to my service advisor about it and he said yea at 90k timing belt should be replaced. you need to take your car to another dealership or take it somewhere and have it done or if you personally know a mechanic have them do it. oh by the way i go to the tustin dealership. anyways cerritos lexus sucks i didn't like their customer service when i went there back in sept to look at buying a car. all their salesman were like in a rush to get me in their office to sign instead of showing me their vehicles. i don't like that crap at all. so i ended up going to tustin where i had a really good experience and the salesman who helped me showed me the car i ended up purchasing inside and out and showed me all the features instead of trying to get me in the office so soon to buy and because of this wonderful service i ended up buying a 03 black gs300 on labor day. but my poor baby has been neglected and only has 1100 miles on it since i bought on the 15 of sept. i been away on business trips left and right that i can't drive my car as much =0(.
Old 12-27-03, 03:31 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN!!!!!
too bad for me! its time for me to pick up my car oh well now I know not to go back!!! any one know how much it will be for changing water pump and timing belt somewhere else.... let me know, anyone!!!
Old 12-27-03, 05:26 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YOU ARE BEING RIPPED

MAN!!
I thought I had heard it all, but this takes the cake. Not only are you supposed to replace the timing belt and water pump, but you are ALSo supposed to replace the Iridium Spark Plugs as well. I don't know what is with some of these dealerships.

My brother inlaw drives a 1999 LS 400, and he just did the 90,000 service at Lexus of Concord California, and they hit him for (gulp) $1800 dollars. Then I began to look his car over, and discovered that they did "NOT"
1. Change the transmission fluid (MOST unsatisfactory. I know Type T-IV gets dirty fast, but not in less than 500 miles).
2. Change the power steering fluid..(looks like the original fluid)
3. Service the battery (The positive cable is heavily corroded, indicating either a cracked post, or weak cells). I am not sure if they pulled a test of the starter, and charging system. What started all of this is that I heard his car start up on Christmas day, and the starter appeared to be dragging. He assured me that the car had just been serviced. When the car refuses to start, or burns out an alternator because of that battery, it will be too bad.
4. They did not change the hood pistons...(they were worn out, and after all that money, he still has to prop the hood to check his oil...totally unsat.
5. Windshield wiper blades did not get changed.

Plus they hit him up for a rear transmission mount that they said was "going bad". So they called and asked if they could replace it, and they approved it.

So the bottom line is: DON'T assume they will do anything you don't ask for. Then CHECK your car when you come to pick it up...you may find out that something is not done.

Good luck,

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 12-27-03 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-27-03, 05:29 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to a Toyota place near me. The first time I went there I bought my Lexus Manual with me and spoke to the manager there and she said. "Anything Lexus can do, we can do." That day I just got wheel alignment done and they treated me good (plus the manager lady was a hottie). I will need my 60k service in about a year so I will go to them.

My advice is to check out some Toyota places also. Speak to a manager there. They deal with the budget smart (not cheap or poor...budget smart) people that buy Camrys and 4runners so they give good prices. Don't go to the ones that are right near a Lexus place because they might be owned by the same guy.
Old 12-28-03, 03:08 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Complain to Lexus Customer Service. That SUCKS!