GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

motorized steering wheel tilt

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 08:22 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by chuckisc
T42GS3: Your post is very good, detailed and informative. Thank you!

Chuck
Agreed
Old 12-15-03, 10:29 AM
LVgs400
Pole Position

I have had a problem with my steering wheel for over a year now... In cold weather (it only gets to be like 30 degrees here in Las Vegas at nights) The steering wheel goes down very slowly, or not at all! In some cases as mentioned before, you press the stick and it just clicks. If you press the stick down and pull very hard on the steering wheel it will after several times, eventually go down. My tech has a motor sitting around at his shop, just haven't had time to go get it from him. But that writeup is very informative! Awesome! DIY thread?
Old 12-15-03, 02:39 PM
t42gs3
Driver School Candidate

LVgs400

I did the same thing you did pulling and pushing up/down to get it to move and it moved very slowly w/ my assistance. Not even a minute after this it stoped completely and the motor only click. Mine also happened when the weather got down to the 30s-40s. This happened a week after I stored the gs in my garage for the winter, I don't think the weather has to do anything with this on my gs but the motor definitely yes, this is my fourth winter here. After my DIY it has worked like a champ. I've been checking it every other day and it has been working perfectly. Make sure your tech replace ALL of the old grease.

Last edited by t42gs3; 12-15-03 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-02-04, 07:56 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

sorry to bring this from the dead ..but my question is can the dealer only disable this ..or can we do it ?
Old 05-02-04, 11:22 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RanGer498
sorry to bring this from the dead ..but my question is can the dealer only disable this ..or can we do it ?
I think it is only the dealer that can do this.

I am having one of mine replaced this week under warrantee.
Old 05-02-04, 12:13 PM
philip fra
Driver School Candidate

outstanding post. i would also like to disable the ignition key function and just use the joystick when needed. i always drive the the wheel at full out and full down. if it stayed there all the time that would be fine with me.
Old 05-09-04, 08:47 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by chuckisc
T42GS3: Your post is very good, detailed and informative. Thank you!

Chuck
Thank you!

Mine is acting up. Some times it'll be fine, but other times, it'll squeel like a dying pig when I remove the key from the ignition.

I have never heard a peep from it when I insert the key in the ignition......just when I remove it.

Since I'm out of warrenty, does anyone know how much it'll cost for the dealer to disable this function with the C Best settings?
Old 05-10-04, 03:54 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Cadd
Thank you!

Mine is acting up. Some times it'll be fine, but other times, it'll squeel like a dying pig when I remove the key from the ignition.

I have never heard a peep from it when I insert the key in the ignition......just when I remove it.

Since I'm out of warrenty, does anyone know how much it'll cost for the dealer to disable this function with the C Best settings?
mine squeels some times when i turn onthe car.
Old 05-10-04, 06:21 AM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only the dealer can disable. I had mine disabled. You can still adjust with joystick and it still will retain memory settings and move when you hit driver 1 or driver 2. Works like any other car once the tilt away is disabled.
Old 05-10-04, 06:37 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
Only the dealer can disable. I had mine disabled. You can still adjust with joystick and it still will retain memory settings and move when you hit driver 1 or driver 2. Works like any other car once the tilt away is disabled.
Were you under warranty? If not, how much did the dealer charge you for this?
Old 05-18-04, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Were you under warranty? If not, how much did the dealer charge you for this?
i have a feeling it won't be pretty
Old 03-27-06, 09:31 AM
BLW
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by t42gs3
1-The up/down motor was locked. Moving the joystick up/down does not work, the motor click only, no movement. There is a seperate motor for the forward/backward movement. Before it locked, the motor was hesitating and moving the steering wheel up/down very slowly, then it stop.

The problem is the motor had build up too much dust. If you are familiar with a dremel tool, the motor has similar parts. Both has brushing in they that makes contact to spin the motor. Only difference is that dremel has vents on the side which allows air to flow in and dust out, the motor is completely sealed so the dust builds up from the brushing and no place for the dust to go.

2-The Fix: $64.00 with tax TOYOTA PART # (GREASE STEERING)= 08887-02507
I removed the the steering colum cover, ignition key cover, and the two peices below the steeriing colum.
Then removed air conditioning duct. Leave key in ignition and disconnect the battery. Below the steering colum is a screw drive(like garage door screw drive) a little smaller than 1/4 inch, follow that down to a cover with two screw on each side. Remove the screws, slide cover back with the two washers behind the cover up the screw drive and use a string or trash bag ties to tie onto the last washer and tie the other end to anywhere to keep these three parts from sliding back down while you are working. This now exposes the gears.

The first motor motor is the up/down motor. There are four screw on the side of the motor, remove them.
Back to the exposed gears, there is a gear about the size of a nickel, use a needle nose pliar and gentlely pull it out about 1/4 inch and hold it. Now slide the motor out.

Remove motor from plastic mount. Take motor apart, you will see the brushing(mine has about 15-20% wear on it). Slide the internal out, wipe and blow this part(I did not remove the grease on the tip of the rod). Do the same for inside of the motor housing. I added a thin layer of grease to the bottum of the inside of the motor housing. Then reassemble the motor. Remove any old grease that you see, also the screw drive and all grease in the gear housing , all of the old grease are kind of dry. Regrease every thing with new grease including steering colum while you are at it. Reassemble motor, gear, washer, and cover.
Reconnect the battery and test. Put every thing back together.

Sorry for the long post. Hopes it helps anyone with this problem. It took me about 2 hour but after doing this once it should olny take an hour. Works like new again.

If any one is having trouble with their power tilt on their steering wheel, this is a good DIY project that is effective and fairly easy.( I did use the Stay-Lube CVC grease from NAPA in place of the Toyota grease) It worked for me and just wanted to say thanks for posting it for us all !!!

Old 03-27-06, 02:24 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I had my C-best settings changed out of warranty for the door locks and it was still free.
Old 04-02-06, 10:34 AM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLW

If any one is having trouble with their power tilt on their steering wheel, this is a good DIY project that is effective and fairly easy.( I did use the Stay-Lube CVC grease from NAPA in place of the Toyota grease) It worked for me and just wanted to say thanks for posting it for us all !!!

Do you know the NAPA grease part number?. I called them and they had no idea what CVC grease was
Old 10-18-08, 11:40 AM
VIPtint
Pole Position

ok just did mine. took apart all the lower plastics to expose the motors. you take off the lower and mid section. also the section surrounding the key. i couldnt remove the cover for the steering shaft though. it will expose 2 motors. mine is a 99 gs3 and the tilt motor was the one closest to you, it also had writing facing you. the telescoping motor didnt. i removed the 4 bolts to remove the motor and it comes apart. cleaned it and regreased it with di-electric grease. the dust clumps up the stock grease and takes away constant conductivity. while i was in there i regresed the shaft as well with regular grease. put it back together, and went up and down a bunch of times to spread the grease. it is now good as new. cost:$12.00, time: 1 hour, and i also had to stop and tint half of a a subaru forester in that time.

sorry no pics

Quick Reply: motorized steering wheel tilt