GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! My GS Isn't Running Right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 01:31 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! My GS Isn't Running Right!

Here's the background information. Used degreaser on my engine, covered alternator and electrical wiring, then washed it off with water. Drove my car last night and it was fine for the 2-3 times I drove it. Then later that night I started driving it again and first thing I noticed was a rough idle. After this, when you put it in gear and step on the gas the car shutters while accelerating! The engine actually shutters and shakes.

It also feels so weak. Going up a hill I can't do more than 30-40. Also, this is the worst part, my car backfires!!!

I'm feeling horrible and don't know what to do. Check engine light is on and VSC is disabled now.

I'm guessing some water got into the spark plug wiring or something and it's causing problems with that.
Old 11-16-03, 01:45 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Sorry to hear of you problem brendan. I have a feeling it was due to water getting into critical engine compartments.. That's why I do not like to clean my engine unless it deals with wiping and not washing of it.. It's risky, but if you are able to effectively do it right, your engine looks new...

Good luck bro!

Last edited by Wald GS; 11-16-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 02:02 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Leave your car in the garage overnight and try to get a fan blowing into the engine compartment for at least 8 hrs--you need to dry it out. Like LexAristo, I don't wash my engine for any reason. The only cleaning I do is to wipe it down with a damp cloth, and that's it. Hope it works all right after drying out.
Old 11-16-03, 02:14 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Just talked to VVT-i (He's a Lexus Tech.) and he said to dry out all the spark plug connectors, etc. Problem for me is that I'd have to remove the throttle body, and all that -- What I'm going to do tomorrow i just take it to Toyota because the nearest Lexus dealership is 50 miles away.

Wish me luck
Old 11-16-03, 02:16 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it isn't running on all 6 all the time.
I think you got some water in the ignition system.
Old 11-16-03, 02:18 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Lesson to everyone ... no water in the engine for cleaning ... regardless of what anyone else says.
My father was no help on this one when he insisted it was okay.
Old 11-16-03, 02:29 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by brendanlim
Lesson to everyone ... no water in the engine for cleaning ... regardless of what anyone else says.
My father was no help on this one when he insisted it was okay.
Just blame your dad!!!
Old 11-16-03, 05:37 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

It's going to the dealership tomorrow. I will keep you guys updated on everything.

Old 11-16-03, 07:10 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brend,
Sorry to hear about this. Since you said you drove the car 2 to 3 times before the problem showed itself, do not assume that it is related to you washing the engine. I have cleaned my engine numerous times and never had a problem.

Second, i would check that all the fuses are OK and none of them are blown. It may be something real simple that is gonna cost you an arm and a leg if you take to the dealer to fix.

Last but not least, verify that there is no water in the fuse box compartments in the engine, no water in the ECU compartment also in the engine, and that all spark plug quick disconnects are firmly in place.

Check that the MAF sensor plug is also firmly in place.

Last but not least, you may want to disconnect battery...wait a few minutes, reconnect, and start up the car.

Hopefully one of these resolves the problem for you.

I wouldn't drive the car too much until you find out exactly what is wrong. Although the toyota dealer is close, i'm not sure they have the diagnostic computer that can give them the code on exactly what is wrong.

Anyway...i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-16-03, 07:13 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
Brend,
Sorry to hear about this. Since you said you drove the car 2 to 3 times before the problem showed itself, do not assume that it is related to you washing the engine. I have cleaned my engine numerous times and never had a problem.

Second, i would check that all the fuses are OK and none of them are blown. It may be something real simple that is gonna cost you an arm and a leg if you take to the dealer to fix.

Last but not least, verify that there is no water in the fuse box compartments in the engine, no water in the ECU compartment also in the engine, and that all spark plug quick disconnects are firmly in place.

Check that the MAF sensor plug is also firmly in place.

Last but not least, you may want to disconnect battery...wait a few minutes, reconnect, and start up the car.

Hopefully one of these resolves the problem for you.

I wouldn't drive the car too much until you find out exactly what is wrong. Although the toyota dealer is close, i'm not sure they have the diagnostic computer that can give them the code on exactly what is wrong.

Anyway...i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Nuum, if you're reading this, what do you think.
Old 11-16-03, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Just talked to VVT-i (He's a Lexus Tech.) and he said to dry out all the spark plug connectors, etc. Problem for me is that I'd have to remove the throttle body, and all that -- What I'm going to do tomorrow i just take it to Toyota because the nearest Lexus dealership is 50 miles away.
As I said on the phone, you want to get everything dry. Maybe a hair dryer might help? Also, I was looking at the 'free samples' of degreaser given away at the recent Atlanta Autozone meet and it says in tiny letters on both bottles DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM. Hmmm... my WHOLE ENGINE is made of aluminum, so I have no plans to let that stuff get anywhere near my engine bay. Why make a degreaser that can't be used on aluminum!?!?!

Anyway, Brendan, I mention this because you may want to look at the degreaser you used. MUCH MORE likely though is the water issue... did you or your Dad actually use a hose on the car (wince)?

Again, the main thing is to get everything as dry as you can. I'd make all efforts to do that BEFORE taking it to the dealership. I'm sure it's all going to work out with no permanent damage, hang in there!
Old 11-16-03, 09:50 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
As I said on the phone, you want to get everything dry. Maybe a hair dryer might help? Also, I was looking at the 'free samples' of degreaser given away at the recent Atlanta Autozone meet and it says in tiny letters on both bottles DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM. Hmmm... my WHOLE ENGINE is made of aluminum, so I have no plans to let that stuff get anywhere near my engine bay. Why make a degreaser that can't be used on aluminum!?!?!

Anyway, Brendan, I mention this because you may want to look at the degreaser you used. MUCH MORE likely though is the water issue... did you or your Dad actually use a hose on the car (wince)?

Again, the main thing is to get everything as dry as you can. I'd make all efforts to do that BEFORE taking it to the dealership. I'm sure it's all going to work out with no permanent damage, hang in there!

Yes, my dad used a friggin hose
I'm about to go run and check the back of the bottle.
Old 11-16-03, 10:03 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Yes, my dad used a friggin hose
I'm about to go run and check the back of the bottle.
Didn't say any warning about using on the aluminum.

Tested the spark plug hypothesis about them being shorted out by running the car and taking off the connection for one or two spark plugs. Well, the ones I took off didn't effect the engine -- so that means they aren't doing jack ish in the first place. So the two I tested (the ones I could reach because of the throttle body being in the way) are short circuited at least.

I hope it's nothing more than that. I would dry them out but I'd have to take off the throttle body and VVT-i told me how to do it but it kinda flew right over my head. I didnt want to mess anything else up. Also, didnt want to reset the ECU because I didnt want the diagnostic code from the check-engine light to go out. Nuum said that Toyota can read it since I'll be taking it to a Yota dealership. Dealer it is guys. I hope things work out. This whole thing with my car has gotten me pretty down.

I can't wait until tomorrow to find out what's wrong.

EDIT: Also, I covered up the alternator, MAF, and the wiring close to the brake fluid resevoir. I didnt even think about the spark plugs. Now I wish I had an engine cover dammit..... Man, if I need a new engine .... Im going to tell my insurance I had a 2JZ-GTE

Last edited by brendanlim; 11-16-03 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 10:11 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Didn't say any warning about using on the aluminum.

Tested the spark plug hypothesis about them being shorted out by running the car and taking off the connection for one or two spark plugs. Well, the ones I took off didn't effect the engine -- so that means they aren't doing jack ish in the first place. So the two I tested (the ones I could reach because of the throttle body being in the way) are short circuited at least.

I hope it's nothing more than that. I would dry them out but I'd have to take off the throttle body and VVT-i told me how to do it but it kinda flew right over my head. I didnt want to mess anything else up. Also, didnt want to reset the ECU because I didnt want the diagnostic code from the check-engine light to go out. Nuum said that Toyota can read it since I'll be taking it to a Yota dealership. Dealer it is guys. I hope things work out. This whole thing with my car has gotten me pretty down.

I can't wait until tomorrow to find out what's wrong.

EDIT: Also, I covered up the alternator, MAF, and the wiring close to the brake fluid resevoir. I didnt even think about the spark plugs. Now I wish I had an engine cover dammit.
As we've discussed Brendan, your not the only one with car troubles. Good luck though.

-Anthony
Old 11-17-03, 10:01 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

It's at the dealership.
They are cleaning out some water that got into the spark plug cavities and the spark plugs need to be replaced too. It's costing $300. I should get my car back tomorrow evening.

It could have been much worse so I'm happy that it's going to be alright. I hope this work gets better.

Last edited by brendanlim; 11-17-03 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! My GS Isn't Running Right!