GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drove a 2001 GS430 over the weekend, not impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 06:55 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 2001 GS430 over the weekend, not impressed!

I am contemplating on getting a newer GS. I like my car a lot but was just considering it when my car is still worth a little cash. I want a 2001 or up 430 or 300, until Saturday haven't driven a GS with a V8 so was unsure if the V8 would grab me or not. I am not interested in how fast my luxury car is to tell you the truth I mean in my opinion a Luxury car doesn't have to be that fast as long as it goes when you want it to. Well I took a 01 gs430 out, wasn't really considering this car just wanted to drive it, it had 47k (too many miles), it was like a Champagne color (different than mine but nice) they wanted 34 grand for it. Well anyways I drove it for about 20 mins, the v8 did not impress me at all, from 0-40 the car is slow as hell, I mean I know these cars are set up for smooth accelleration but it honestly didn't do anything for me. I changed gears and everything and it really didn't move for anything, I mean I am sure on the expressway from 50 mph and up the thing would move rediculously but that would just get me in trouble. I mean reguardless I would rather have a V8 over the 6 cyl anytime but considering my age for insurance, how much more the 430 would cost me and of course the gas for the amount of driving I do wouldn't be worth it. So unless insurance is reasonable and I find an awesome deal I will just go with a 2001 or up 300, but I think I need to get off this computer seeing all these nice cars because besides the the interior I kinda still like my car better after shopping for newer GS's........
Old 11-10-03, 07:44 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

From 0-40 the car is slow as hell? Wow! I've never heard THAT complaint about the GS430 before!

From the things you're saying, it sounds like you don't really want a new car. Stick with your current GS since you're still happy, save yourself a ton of coin, and wait for the next gen GS to see if it does more to catch your fancy.

By the way, if you really care about luxury over speed, you should look at a brand new Acura RL. They can be had for thousands below sticker, are certainly not FAST, but provide a fantastic luxury driving experience.
Old 11-10-03, 07:53 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Drove a 2001 GS430 over the weekend, not impressed!

Originally posted by CHMPNGS
I changed gears and everything and it really didn't move for anything....
So you were gate shifting? I'm curious as to how well that really works.
Old 11-10-03, 07:55 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you turn off VSC?
Old 11-10-03, 07:58 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldnt help from posting on this thread seeing how I own a 01 gs430. Yes it is a bit sluggish on the pedal, im not sure if you know this but 01 and up models are drive-by-wire ......what does this mean? well you step on the gas....and there is no drive line to the throttle body, meaning its sent by electronic data. This leaves for a "LAG" or almost even a dead spot when you step on the gas for a momentary second or two. I have complained to the dealer every time I go in for service and have them do a FLASH on the cpu to adjust the problem. Notice how I say adjust? because when you buy the 01 and up theres not getting by it. It just lags sometimes.... I noticed the problem when I had just got done driving my girlfriends 99 gs4 and hopped into my car and I noticed a tremendous difference in how touchie her gas pedal was in regards to mine.....oh well...the car is most undoubtedly great, just a little hesitation on the gas pedal sometimes, but trust me when i say this....if you think the take off is slow....trying stepping down on the gas 75% of the way when you start....the car jumps like no other
Old 11-10-03, 10:29 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Isn't the 1998-2000 GS400 drive by wire too? If it isn't, how does Snow mode decrease accelerator response?
Old 11-10-03, 11:14 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default GS430 are not slow... vs. the old GS3

Since you had mentioned that you are driving an old GS300, I don't understand why you think the GS430 is sluggish and you are not impressed at all. It's being sluggish should be compared to something else like BMW's of its equivalent. I don't think it has something to do with the milage ( 47K) where the car you tested was not well maintained or up to date in its service ( something is wrong inside it). If the one youre testing has no other problems in it, it should be as fast as the old 400. There's should be a big difference with the old GS300 ( 230 hp ) versus the GS 430 (300 hp). I dont see a fair comparison on both. I had my GS400 ( real one ) since I special ordered it back 1998 and until now it runs like since I bought it on day one. My car is up to date with its service and have 50K plus miles on it. I had driven my sister GS430 and I think my 400 and her 430 is just the same when it comes to pick up. Sometimes I felt that my 400 is a little bit faster than her 430. I cannot say that the GS430 is slow or terrible from the stop light.
I would suggest that you go back to the dealership and borrow the demo GS430 from the showroom( not from the used car lot with 47K miles on it) I knew that the GS400/430 are the fastest Lexus from their stable. ( what went wrong with the less than 5.8 seconds 0-60 mph?) Maybe the car has water inside its fuel tank.....from the flood with sea creatures trapped in the fuel filter.
Old 11-10-03, 11:14 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK, the drive-by-wire started in 2001, and the '98-2000 GS's are cable linked.

I will say...if you drive the GS4 with 1/4 throttle, in automatic mode (non-e shift or gate shift) you wouldn't know these cars are fast or powerful, just average. In fact, I have witnessed this with my brother -in-law when he drove mine during a recent weekend of wedding events, and he drove it like a grandmother most of the time. He was visibly surprised when i mentioned it had 300 hp, until i told him to floor it! That changed his mind as to where the HP was. Feathering the throttle is very misleading in these cars.

This is because the transmission wants to immediately shift into 3d or 4th gear at 25 MPH. I guess CAFE is to blame for that - gas mileage etc. However, use E-Shift or gate shift the car with 1/2 or 3/4 throttle, and bring the rpms up to 5 or 6 k, and you'd better be prepared to hang on. I have never driven a 2001+ GS4, but this is the case with my '98.

It's no joke.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-10-03 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-10-03, 11:39 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

98-00 GS ared also drive-by-wire design. They have the cable link just in case the DBW motor fails.

The v8 of GS4 does not come alive till 4000 rpm with stock TC. But with my 2800 stall TC installed, the engine comes alive right at 2500 rpm all the way to 6k red line. That's where the fun part starts.

I do feel the sluggishness of all the loaner GS's but never have the same feeling when I am behind my steering wheel
Old 11-10-03, 11:50 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default GS430

I am not comparing it to my car at all, I mean my car is also very sluggish from the start , not saying it compares. I also highly doubt there was anything wrong with the car I just figured it would give me more of a feeling with all those horses and I would fall in love with it, but it didn't. Maybe its cause I have driven cars with 300 hp and my other car has about 260-280 hp and it goes when I want it to. None the less it is still an awesome car, I was just making a point about my situation, that I will probably just get the 300 instead of the 430 and save my $$$$$.
Old 11-10-03, 11:52 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For everyday driving, I think the GS300 is a very capable car. If you are not stomping it, I don't think you will feel a whole lot of difference. At low RPMs, both cars are pretty smooth. I would not want to race a 400 in a 300, though.

As for the used car experience, I think most Lexus owners (not the ones here ) are not very agressive drivers. Just resetting the ECU will make some difference in that car. If that is not enough, a TC and LSD will probably change your mind.

Last edited by Neo; 11-10-03 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-10-03, 11:56 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98-00 GS ared also drive-by-wire design. They have the cable link just in case the DBW motor fails.
Jacob, thanks for that info.
Old 11-10-03, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Dude your kidding. The GS 300 is fast, the GS 430 is faster. Plain as day especially down low. U punch that car and that sucka pushes you to the back of your seat. Myabe that car needed servicing or something or the owner used regular unleaded.
Old 11-10-03, 12:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Throttle response on GS's are a bit 'odd', and it's made worse by tranny programming that keeps the car OUT of the power band most of the time. The programming of the car is aimed at quiet riding, and better fuel economy, and not performance. Resetting the ECU does help, as does keeping it in '4' at least, so it doesn't go into 5th which takes all the fun away.

Then if you're a nut like me and put in high stall TC and taller ring gear with Supra Torsen diff... woo woo!!! Know what I'm sayin'?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-10-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 07:52 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I remember test driving a 400 back in the day, and it was plenty powerful. But, maybe you weren't pressing it hard enough? The 300 does give you a nice feeling of quick immediate throttle response, with barely any tip in. Maybe the 400/430's give you a little bit more tip in so you don't smoke the tires all the time.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2001 GS430 over the weekend, not impressed!