95 gs300 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 02:27 PM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 gs300 help

Hello

95 gs300 was given to me, it was running great last time it was driven. Sat 8 years, put new battery in it cranks but won't start. Ordered a new fuel pump. I am assuming it's the prob. In the mean time, what else could I be checking?
Thank you
Old 04-15-16, 04:38 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Spark Plugs? And give it new fuel!!!
Old 04-15-16, 10:10 AM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
Thanks for the reply
Old 04-15-16, 10:52 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After 8 years of sitting, you'll probably need to change all the seals and gaskets plus the tires, all of the fluids, the water pump, thermostat and probably the radiator. The reason is the radiator just fills up with rust when it sits like that. You can try flushing it out but it's likely clogged up. When cars sit that long, the headgaskets tend to leak too. If you start getting pressure in the cooling system, white smoke under acceleration or oil in the coolant, it's your headgasket. The tires are just too old, they're definitely got cracks in them by now. Your brake fluid is likely full of water and I'd be surprised if you don't have rust in the calipers. All of the other rubber seals like the VCG, cam seals and rear main seal have dried up and will probably leak. You might want to check the vacuum lines too and make sure they aren't cracked.
Old 04-15-16, 11:07 AM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mandrake
After 8 years of sitting, you'll probably need to change all the seals and gaskets plus the tires, all of the fluids, the water pump, thermostat and probably the radiator. The reason is the radiator just fills up with rust when it sits like that. You can try flushing it out but it's likely clogged up. When cars sit that long, the headgaskets tend to leak too. If you start getting pressure in the cooling system, white smoke under acceleration or oil in the coolant, it's your headgasket. The tires are just too old, they're definitely got cracks in them by now. Your brake fluid is likely full of water and I'd be surprised if you don't have rust in the calipers. All of the other rubber seals like the VCG, cam seals and rear main seal have dried up and will probably leak. You might want to check the vacuum lines too and make sure they aren't cracked.
Thank you for your input. I will be sure to go through and check all of it.
Old 04-23-16, 08:05 PM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
So I replaced the fuel pump and, nothing. I got crank but no start. I am replacing the spark plugs tomorrow. Should I be worried about the timing? No timing belt break or anything, just curious due to how long it has sat. And is the 1st gen gs vvti? My supra isn't, but also a 7mgte.
Old 04-24-16, 08:02 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

95 should no be VVTI so even if the belt broke you should be ok. It can't hurt to check the timing. I would actually check the timing belt and check the distributor position as well. Did you drain the gas tank of all of the old gas and replace with fresh gas? Did you check to see if you are getting spark at the plugs?
Old 04-24-16, 08:47 AM
locobori86
Driver School Candidate

I would start with def emptying the tank (fuel will def go bad after 8 years). Check for spark (tester shouldn't be to expensive at the parts store) when you are certain the engine has spark assuming you changed the plugs, a quick test to bypass the fuel system is as follows. To temporarily bypass the fuel supply, disconnect a vacuum hose (preferably the line from the brake booster) spray throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner slowly while some starts the vehicle. Keep in mind this will also bypass all fuel lines to the engine as well so don't outrull clogged fuel lines. Ethanol doesn't do to well sitting for extended periods of time. You are looking for a heart heart to the engine not a permanent fix. If the timing belt was broken the engine is non interference (will not bend valves) in stock form so still crank with a very distinct sound. Good luck diagnosing
Old 04-24-16, 05:49 PM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Thank everyone for the feedback. I replaced the spark plugs and started right up. Didn't smoke or anything after all these years. Going to replace hoses and belts tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-24-16, 05:57 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's awesome!! Glad you got it running!!
Old 04-29-16, 03:33 PM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Default Had an issue

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Hello

So all has been going well except for yesterday and this morning. So, car drives great, but once it sits for a few hours or over night it cranks but won't start, acts flooded. It only starts if I am pressing the gas while starting. And when it does start it's rough and white smoke then idles fine and drives great till I leave work for home and have to do the same over again.

Iam going to replace the fuel filter once the pb plaster loosens the bolts. Have an idea what it could be?
Thank you
Old 05-02-16, 10:49 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd go for injection cleaner..seamfoam or something like that.
Old 05-10-16, 07:31 AM
Blk95gs300
Driver School Candidate

I would check relay i had a truck that had a relay that was half fried which was causing it to start and run but if i was to cut off and immediately try to start i would have to wait a couple of min for it to start jus a suggestion
Old 05-12-16, 09:01 PM
hassan86
Driver School Candidate

Default Not running

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
So, since the last time I poster the. Gs has stopped running. It cranks OK no start condition. Iv changed the plugs, wires, fuel pump, igniter, and tps. I was told there isn't a cold start injector.I kept smelling fuel but when I tried to crank so, I removed plugs and all were flooded.
I removed it all with a shop vac. Put teas spoon oil back in cylinders to lub. Did the unflood procedure after to be sure it was all out. Even removed the efi fuse and cranked once.
Car started but ran with a slight miss that but smelled strong gas and white gas smelling smoke out of exhaust (a lot). Car ran (not great,slight miss) then ran out of gas.

Pulled ecu but, looked good no cap leaks.
Could you think of what this could be? I'm stumped
Old 05-13-16, 06:51 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hassan86
Pulled ecu but, looked good no cap leaks.
Could you think of what this could be? I'm stumped
Review my previous post. I've already answered your question.

Originally Posted by Mandrake
I really wasn't kidding when I said all gaskets, tires, fluids, water pump, thermostat and the radiator.