GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Water sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 05:21 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water sound

So when I start the car or rev the motor or start to go there is a water sound that is pretty loud from the passenger side of the car. I'm at a loss here.

Sorry I post a lot here guys. A newbie to this luxury life
Old 02-20-16, 06:42 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't worry about posting too much....I think we need more posts in the 1st Gen GS section!!! That sound usually indicates the coolant system is low on fluid. The sound you are describing is air and coolant moving through the heater core. Check the coolant level in the radiator and check for leaks.

Last edited by TRACKMKIII; 02-20-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 02:32 AM
Slickcam
Rookie

Right, there isn't that many of us on here.

So I checked the coolant level before leaving for work tonight, it was pretty low. Topped it off, and the noice is still there. Also the car is a bit sluggish now...
Old 02-21-16, 04:22 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the coolant level in the radiator was really low you may have to leave the radiator cap off and let the air burp out of the system.
Old 02-21-16, 05:12 AM
Slickcam
Rookie

Oh true. I spaced that. I was just trying to do it quick before work.
Old 03-11-16, 05:47 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

I hate to say blown head gasket but that 's what it sounds like it is. I ran into this on my newly acquired 93 and it ended up being a blown head gasket on the number 6 cylinder which is right where the heater core hose is. I had a water wooshing sound in the morning and whenever you accelerated due to the pressure blowing into the cooling system.

After you shut the car off check to see if the coolant reservoir bubbles for an extended period of time after you spend some time bleeding it. The other thing to check is if when you first start it check to see if the exhaust smells sweet.

I would drive it for a little while and see if it goes away but if it continues to happen then you might be looking at a head gasket :-(
Old 03-11-16, 09:26 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Thanks for the reply on both of my issues. I was fearing this as well, however like you said it does go away after the car is at operating temperature, only on start up and acceleration. You also mentioned on my other post that the sound I'm hearing is could be from the a/c compressor but now you have me thinking that the sound could be related to this. Maybe when the compression happens in the cylinder with the leak...what do you think?
Old 03-12-16, 03:25 PM
RepoRaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slickcam
Right, there isn't that many of us on here.

So I checked the coolant level before leaving for work tonight, it was pretty low. Topped it off, and the noice is still there. Also the car is a bit sluggish now...
I used to have the same issue, you probably have air in the system. Turn the car on with the heater on full blast and the cap off of the radiator and just let all the air bubbles run out, it may take awhile so be patient. Once the bubbles stop top the radiator off and close it back up, worked for me
Old 03-12-16, 07:10 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Slickcam;9403109]Thanks for the reply on both of my issues. I was fearing this as well, however like you said it does go away after the car is at operating temperature, only on start up and acceleration. You also mentioned on my other post that the sound I'm hearing is could be from the a/c compressor but now you have me thinking that the sound could be related to this. Maybe when the compression happens in the cylinder with the leak...what do you think?[/QUOTE

The noise could be related as you said. As the last post said it could honestly just be a lot of air in your cooling system but as it has been stated before our cooling systems are hard to bleed. If it does this every morning though after numerous days it may be more towards head gasket.
Old 03-12-16, 07:38 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Originally Posted by Biohaz7331
[/QUOTE

The noise could be related as you said. As the last post said it could honestly just be a lot of air in your cooling system but as it has been stated before our cooling systems are hard to bleed. If it does this every morning though after numerous days it may be more towards head gasket.
That's what I thought. I'll try putting it on a hill and really try and give this thing a good bleed. The only thing that makes me think head gasket or heater core is the disappearing coolant. I'm going to get some dye one of these days and see if I can track it down.