GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Fried Voltage regulator AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 06:32 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried Voltage regulator AGAIN!

Hey guys! New here and first post! Really hope I can get some help.

So I have a (RECENTLY ACQUIRED) 93 gs with a 2jz-ge. I have fried the VR twice now within a few days. I replaced the alternator (from autozone) twice and both have failed. I have tried finding a bad ground but I'm not really sure where I should be looking. I really need some help with this.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I have also replaced the 15a fuse for the dash (speedo,tach,fuel,temp) and the thermostat about 10 times now. If the thermo controls are even touched it blows the fuse blows and nothing works. Aftermarket radio put in by previous owner with hack job system put as well (I have disconnected).
Old 01-30-16, 07:23 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Any info will help me out. I just NEED this thing to work.
Old 01-30-16, 07:33 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definitely start by tracking down the reason that 15a fuse is constantly blowing. Anytime you have a short to ground (blown fuse) it can do damage to the voltage regulator. I would also go in and clean up the wiring hack job for the radio as well. If you fix those two things I would be willing to bet that will solve your voltage regulator issues.
Old 01-30-16, 07:36 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah in my experience Auto Zone alternators are absolute CRAP!! I have seen them fail new out of the box and then the second and third alternator fail new out of the box as well!!!!!
Old 01-30-16, 07:49 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

That sounds like a good place to start. I'm also going to clean up the pig-tail for the alt as well. Just noticed it has some oil around it and possibly in it.

I will be starting to pull all the trashed system stuff out tomorrow as well as removing the radio and thermostat.

Is there anything else you could think of?
Old 01-30-16, 07:50 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Also I have a life time warranty on the alt so I'll keep blowing them up til I get this right.
Old 01-30-16, 08:41 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
I would definitely start by tracking down the reason that 15a fuse is constantly blowing. Anytime you have a short to ground (blown fuse) it can do damage to the voltage regulator. I would also go in and clean up the wiring hack job for the radio as well. If you fix those two things I would be willing to bet that will solve your voltage regulator issues.

i second what is said here.....

i had to do this with mine because i noticed alot of doggy wires and connections so i sat and went through my wiring diagrams etc

yes... the alt doesnt wanna be too friendly with oil and check em wiries going to it too and the plug it self....

as for me... i think i have to do all of that as well...

when i bought my gs300 i noticed the battery light is constantly one and i got a new battery the other day and guess what... my battery light is still on....

so either alt is dead or my plug is not up to par.....
Old 01-30-16, 08:45 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Im thinking of going and getting a stock radio from a guy and putting that in. Hopping the wiring behind the radio isn't all hacked up as well. Fingers crossed.

Where would I get that diagram for the wiring?
Old 01-30-16, 08:52 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wiring manual for the car...

u can google it...

even my headlamps and foglamps were wired in a very doggy way... the wiring diagram helped greatly man....

you can check this link

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/file/f...(USA-1995).pdf
Old 01-30-16, 08:56 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Awesome. Will check the link out! Thank you
Old 01-31-16, 10:55 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slickcam
Im thinking of going and getting a stock radio from a guy and putting that in. Hopping the wiring behind the radio isn't all hacked up as well. Fingers crossed.

Where would I get that diagram for the wiring?
Yes pulling the radio and checking wiring is a good place to start. Getting a stock radio is a good idea as well that way you know everything is just as it should be.
Old 01-31-16, 03:07 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Right on. I'm glad I'm headed in the right direction. I really hate electrical issues
Old 01-31-16, 07:01 PM
Slickcam
Rookie

Pulled a rats nest of wires from the radio. Any ideas how I can test everything before blowing another regulator?
Old 02-01-16, 10:18 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

First I would do a visual inspection of the wires to see if you find broken wires or exposed wires that could be touching something. Any T taps or poor splices should definitely be fixed or removed. Try to figure out which wires are factory and which wires were added or modified during the aftermarket radio install.
Old 02-01-16, 11:09 AM
Slickcam
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
First I would do a visual inspection of the wires to see if you find broken wires or exposed wires that could be touching something. Any T taps or poor splices should definitely be fixed or removed. Try to figure out which wires are factory and which wires were added or modified during the aftermarket radio install.
Just removed the aftermarket radio (it was hacked) I'm going to try and find a sock radio till I get a nice one. Are there any specific locations I should be looking? Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Fried Voltage regulator AGAIN!