GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 09:15 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Anybody have any pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers? Whats the biggest size speakers that can get to fit into the doors? Will i be able to fit 6.5 Speakers in the doors?

Also if you have any pictures of your aftermarket headunit please post pics.

Thanks Alot.
Old 03-23-03, 10:54 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Originally posted by DroppedGS
Anybody have any pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers? Whats the biggest size speakers that can get to fit into the doors? Will i be able to fit 6.5 Speakers in the doors?

Also if you have any pictures of your aftermarket headunit please post pics.

Thanks Alot.
stock front and back door speakers are 4 inches. i got 5 1/4 to fit the front perfect with stock baffle and i got 6.5 to fit the rear with little modification.
Old 03-23-03, 10:57 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Re: Re: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Originally posted by Jmai22
stock front and back door speakers are 4 inches. i got 5 1/4 to fit the front perfect with stock baffle and i got 6.5 to fit the rear with little modification.
So will I be able to put 5 1/2 in the front in both front and back without modifying the the door ? Do you have any pictures of you doors?
Old 03-23-03, 12:49 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

So will I be able to put 5 1/2 in the front in both front and back without modifying the the door ? Do you have any pictures of you doors?
i don't have any pictures but if you put 5 1/4 in they will fit right in, all your have to do is carve the inside trim of the baffle that holds the speaker a little bit. but on the outside of the door it looks stock. i have MB quart components in the front and rear. and the component tweeters fit perfectly into the stock front location
Old 03-23-03, 12:53 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Originally posted by Jmai22
i don't have any pictures but if you put 5 1/4 in they will fit right in, all your have to do is carve the inside trim of the baffle that holds the speaker a little bit. but on the outside of the door it looks stock. i have MB quart components in the front and rear. and the component tweeters fit perfectly into the stock front location
Do you also have components in the rear of the car? Where did put them? Also do you have an Aftermarket HU? If so where did you get the Kit.. I know there isn't a kit for this car but where did you get that black panel?

If you didn't install the HU how much did it cost them to put it in for you?

Thanks Alot for the Help!. I really appreicate it!
Old 03-24-03, 06:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey, my drivers side tweeter went out recently, I want to replace both of them. Can I just take the tweeter cover off, without removing the door panel? I have a 96 with the basic stereo and the factory 12 disk changer (car does not have NAK)
Old 03-24-03, 09:46 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Hey, my drivers side tweeter went out recently, I want to replace both of them. Can I just take the tweeter cover off, without removing the door panel? I have a 96 with the basic stereo and the factory 12 disk changer (car does not have NAK)
Yea you can take the Cover off without takeing the door panel off..Just get a flat head screw driver and pop it off...There little clips behind the cover that holds it on.
Old 03-24-03, 10:29 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

THX dropped!
Old 03-24-03, 10:44 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Do you also have components in the rear of the car? Where did put them? Also do you have an Aftermarket HU? If so where did you get the Kit.. I know there isn't a kit for this car but where did you get that black panel?

If you didn't install the HU how much did it cost them to put it in for you?

Thanks Alot for the Help!. I really appreicate it!
yes, i also have components in the back. the tweeters are mounted on the rear door above the door handle and towards the front seatbelts. I also have an aftermarket Eclipse headunit, currently its just an empty pocket under my headunt. i haven't really had time to make a kit. it should cost around 10 bucks and 10 minutes to make a car kit. just buy abs plastic and cut it into the right shape. this abs plastic can be bought at most stereo shop

all my installation was done myself. if you take it to a shop i'm not really sure how much they would charge you but i'm guessing a lot. there is a lot of work involved installing an aftermarket speaker and amp.

example. you need to run new speaker wires to the trunk (total of 16 for me, 4 for each door (2 tweeter 2 for mid))
power cable from hood to trunk(the cable itself is like 2-3 bucks a feet you'll need like 20 feet or so)
figure out wires for new headunit

some other stuff i can't think of, but those are the main ones
Old 03-24-03, 11:20 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey Dropped or anybody else,

Could you post a pic, with where to pry the cover off? at the leading edge or the rear, I want to go in the right direction!!
Old 03-24-03, 11:35 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Dropped or anybody else,

Could you post a pic, with where to pry the cover off? at the leading edge or the rear, I want to go in the right direction!!
you don't even need a screw driver. just use your hands a pull it off. its comes right off.
Old 03-24-03, 11:59 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

thanks J, have you figured out your car dilema yet?
Old 03-24-03, 12:20 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

thanks J, have you figured out your car dilema yet?
i think i'm way way ahead of my self in the car dilema at this time. i keep looking at cars i'm not suppose to that are like 5,000 bucks above my range. lol. i think i'm gonna be keepin my gs for a little bit longer because i don't want to rush. i want to find a perfect car. you think a almost 6 foot asian guy can fit in a Mini cooper?? lol
Old 03-24-03, 12:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey man, if you like the car, just look at it, you never know what can happen. If it is meant to be, it will work out. I'm not saying to go shopping for a 03 gs430, but if you are looking 3-5k above your range, it can happen. When I bought my first car in 98, I wanted a 93 Altima GXE in order to be in the right price range. When my father and I found a 95 Accord EX with leather, CD changer, wing and alarm, I didnt even want to drive it!!! I said no pop, the car is too much, he said, just drive it! I got the car!!! Conversly, when I got the 96 GS, I was looking for a 97 SC400, certified!! Obviously I was a little TOO optimistic on that one!!
Old 03-24-03, 01:51 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

It would be possible to put separates in the rear doors, but speaking as an audiophile concerned more about sound quality, why would you?

It would give you a little more volume, but chances are you'll be placing the tweets high on the door similar to the placement of the front doors. Think about that for a moment. Think about where those tweets would be in relation to your left ear. You may as well wear one headphone.

Put the separates up front and use a coax in the rear. It won't be perfect, but it doesn't sound bad. I had competed a few times with this set up before...

I went a little more extreme. I have 5 1/4s in the doors playing mid-bass (all the doors). I have no tweets in the rear at all. Then, 5 1/4s in kick panels and tweeters in the a-pillar. This is a little more extensive than most are willing to go.

The Sound Domain site seems to have some troubles right now...but when it comes back up, my page is...

www.sounddomain.com/id/ricosrevenge

There are pictures of my doors there on page 3 I believe.

Quick Reply: Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.