GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Any 93-97 GS300 Owners have pictures of there Upgraded Door Speakers, and HU.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 01:03 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense taken:

Well the Kenwood is better than stock but "Free Air" subs just don't do it for real bass. Above 60hz you might as well be playing "patty cake" on your lap. Great for boomy bass. For the average person its the Sh!@. At the time, that was all the sound i wanted and kinda tradeoff for trunk space, time, effort, and money. I may go bandpass, i had a bandpass box in my BMW once, i was really impressed. And maybe i can eliminate the need for Dyno or Rammat.

But then again i may go with a sealed enclosure. Is that what you have?

Post some pics please.
Old 03-27-03, 01:10 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 007
No offense taken:

Well the Kenwood is better than stock but "Free Air" subs just don't do it for real bass. Above 60hz you might as well be playing "patty cake" on your lap. Great for boomy bass. For the average person its the Sh!@. At the time, that was all the sound i wanted and kinda tradeoff for trunk space, time, effort, and money. I may go bandpass, i had a bandpass box in my BMW once, i was really impressed. And maybe i can eliminate the need for Dyno or Rammat.

But then again i may go with a sealed enclosure. Is that what you have?

Post some pics please.
I have no pic, i'm in the process of redisigning my trunk. I used to play a ported box with 2 JL 10"s and they hit so hard. but that bass sounded really loose. Now i'm running 2 Alpine Type R 12" getting total of 1200watts. And it hits even harder man. When my gurl drives my car and rolls up with the front window halfway down and the sound system is barely on it sounds soo good. the bass on my car sound very tight and deep. I think my current system is perfect right now. i have MBquart front and rear components and its soo clear mix with tight bass sounds wonderful.
Old 03-27-03, 01:22 AM
Lead Lap

LOL... you sound real happy.

I installed a Alpine system in a PT Cruiser last week, Alpine headunit 7893 with 2003 mono amp (forgot model) and SWS 12' sub. Stock interior speakers. Man that thing hit so hard. You can't beat the sound of a SUV/hatchback.

I liked the way that alpine sounded and thought of getting a alpine sub and amp but i am running all Kenwood now and the last Alpine V12 amp i had got hot too quick and cut off. My Kenwood Amp never overheats and their Excelon Subs sound great. I may go with JL though,.. who knows.
Old 03-27-03, 01:27 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 007
LOL... you sound real happy.

I installed a Alpine system in a PT Cruiser last week, Alpine headunit 7893 with 2003 mono amp (forgot model) and SWS 12' sub. Stock interior speakers. Man that thing hit so hard. You can't beat the sound of a SUV/hatchback.

I liked the way that alpine sounded and thought of getting a alpine sub and amp but i am running all Kenwood now and the last Alpine V12 amp i had got hot too quick and cut off. My Kenwood Amp never overheats and their Excelon Subs sound great. I may go with JL though,.. who knows.
JL is great. there newer subs are a rip off though. like 500+ for 1 sub. i think the alpine Type R is great for 100-150 a piece. that are great SQ subs. everyone thinks so. not just myself. You don't need to go all the same brand name. you can mix the sub brand name with the amp. no problem at all.

i know what you mean when you say hatchback with a sound system. My friend had a sound system in his 4runner and that thing was pretty loud with cheap stuff. lol. but the bass in hatchbacks don't sound as good as a car with a trunk. the trunk performs like an extra box.

the bass on the outside of a hatchback will sound better than the inside of the hatchback. but on a regular car with a seperate trunk, the bass will sound good in and out.
Old 03-27-03, 01:30 AM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Here it is... they got rid of the "Sound Domain" thing and just have "Car Domain."

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ricosrevenge
Rico... did you install the leather on the seats yourself? How hard was it? Also did you change the carpeting?
Old 03-27-03, 07:18 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

No I didn't install the leather myself. I had a shop do it, they gave me a great price...$150.00 for installation. Anything less than $250 is great.

I didn't change the carpeting either. I did modify my floor mats (BTW these are pretty inexpensive through Lexus, its like $100 for the full set...I was shocked!) I now have stainless steel plates that I had custom made with the Aristo logo lazer engraved into them. These cover the "Lexus" logos. Unfortunately, my source for that stuff is unavailable now.

I have ZERO Dynamat in my trunk and also, due to the design of the system, my spare has been removed. Thats what cell phones are for right?

The porting issue is touchy, in order to keep bass out of the trunk, and therefore keep trunk rattle out, 100% of the subs output must be forced into the cabin. By allowing the stock sub hole to "vent" bass into the cabin, you still have all of the subs energy and pressure banging around in your trunk.

Todd
Old 03-27-03, 07:36 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default System

I just did the rest of the sound system in mine over the weekend. I was thinking of free-air when I was searching for things to do but those JL ones are hard to find. My boy runs a stereo shop and he suggested I try this MTX stuff, never really had ever heard much about it, I have had JL and rockford stuff in my Tbird SC for years. I got the MTX stuff for a rediculously cheap price. I had the DVC 10 in MTX sub just free air in the rear deck for a couple weeks, and the deep song slammed almost too much but the tight stuff sounded like crap, we put a small truck type box and mounted it to the rear deck and dynomatted the top of the rear deck. It sounds very good, very clear not too tight, not too deep and no rattle. I wish I would have taken pics of the install. Gonna have to do the interior speakers soon also.
Old 03-27-03, 08:11 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

updated my site www.sounddomain.com/id/gompka Lots of pics of 5.25 in the rear doors, like rico said 5.25 easily fit in rear or up front. Thing is they have to be siliconed in as original mounting screws are obsolete.
Old 03-29-03, 12:29 AM
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Old 07-04-15, 06:55 PM
victorhugo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 007
Ok
How did you get you whole center like that