GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 08:21 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spark Plugs?

Alright, so I just have a quick question. I've watched and researched on it, and still don't have a solid answer...

Do spark plugs have any affect on the cars performance? If so, what are some good plugs to go with?
Old 10-15-14, 09:02 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Yes, having the correct spark plug, and one that is working properly will help with efficient combustion. Having the correct gap for the spark to jump is also something that is important. These are the plugs recommended most in our cars. I would run the Iridium Powers (IK16 for 2jzge or IK20 for GTE)

Old 10-15-14, 09:42 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I run std NGK V-Groove in my 2GS4, they run good, idles like a rock. Great power, but the 2GS4 has plenty of power....

Iridium is a good solid long lasting plug, but they are a bit more expensive than the V-Groove, but in the long run you would save $ using the v-groove.

As for power increase, no dyno test I have ever seen has shown SIGNIFICANT increase/decrease in power from a NEW plug to NEW plug no matter what kind it is. I have seen several over the years.

Fine wire plugs concentrate a higher amount of energy on the tip, which helps arc the gap in a high compression (or high boost) environment over a std plug. Technically you can run a wider gap with an Iridium over a std plug and still have sufficient arc on the gap.

I avoid platinum plugs, they often run hotter than the iridiums or std copper plugs. So that extra heat could (could, hard to prove, but commonly believed) induce pinging. Mainly in boosted applications people avoid platinum like ebola....
Old 10-21-14, 04:13 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
I run std NGK V-Groove in my 2GS4, they run good, idles like a rock. Great power, but the 2GS4 has plenty of power....

Iridium is a good solid long lasting plug, but they are a bit more expensive than the V-Groove, but in the long run you would save $ using the v-groove.

As for power increase, no dyno test I have ever seen has shown SIGNIFICANT increase/decrease in power from a NEW plug to NEW plug no matter what kind it is. I have seen several over the years.

Fine wire plugs concentrate a higher amount of energy on the tip, which helps arc the gap in a high compression (or high boost) environment over a std plug. Technically you can run a wider gap with an Iridium over a std plug and still have sufficient arc on the gap.

I avoid platinum plugs, they often run hotter than the iridiums or std copper plugs. So that extra heat could (could, hard to prove, but commonly believed) induce pinging. Mainly in boosted applications people avoid platinum like ebola....

Do you know if you have to remove the throttle body in order to replace the plugs/wires?
Old 10-21-14, 08:22 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

On a 2GS4 now, on a 1GS3 or 2GS3 I dont know but doubt It.

Originally Posted by ComponY
Do you know if you have to remove the throttle body in order to replace the plugs/wires?
Old 10-23-14, 01:10 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ComponY
YES the throttle body has to be unbolted and the coolant line running underneath disconnected. The t-body will slide out toward passenger side.
Old 12-15-14, 05:05 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99k-119k my NGK iridiums are still running great, I've got a lot of trust for them, I juist threw new NGK's in both my 04 4runner(158k) and 07 sequoia (100k)
Old 12-15-14, 08:34 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't want to go through the time and hassle it takes to change out the spark plugs on the 1GS, then go with a longer life plug such as platinum or iridium. I believe OEM is platinum.