GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

After contemplating for months, I finally did it: Tein HA + EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 02:43 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you purchase the HA's + EDFC from? and where did you get them installed?
Old 02-28-03, 02:46 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, thats sweet. now i don't know if i should get the dvd player or this. lol. i would love to have a car that can handle, but being my car is a 93 i don't really want to put mods on my car that i can't easily remove and put into the next car. i think i will have to pick the dvd. but anyways your car and that new system is soo freakin cool and sick. you gotta come down to so cali sometime and give me a ride man.
Old 02-28-03, 02:46 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Default After contemplating for months, I finally did it: Tein HA + EDFC

Hey guys,

I've had it now for about a week and I'm happy with it so far. It solved 2 of my problems:

1. I always hated the gap at the wheel well. Now, I have it lowered to about one and a half finger gap (used to have 3 finger gap with the Eibachs). I'll give it some time to let it break-in and settle, then maybe I'll lower it to about a one finger gap.

2. For me, the car was still leaning too much when cornering. When I speed through corners or Freeway On/Off ramps, I always had to find something to hold on to. With the Teins, it has reduce a lot of the body-roll. Even with the softer settings, it has less body-roll than before (with Eibach/KYB). Now, I can FLY through those ramps without any problems.

The ride is not too stiff. On the softer settings, it's comparable to the Eibach/KYB setup. With the EDFC, I can control the settings inside the cabin. When I have my daughter with me, I have it set on about 13-front, 15-back (16 being the softest). When I'm alone, I set it to a little stiffer (12/14) via the EDFC. When I get to an On/Off ramp, I have it set to about 8/10 and then fly around those turns. I use the EDFC so much I hope I don't break it already. I'm just having a blast testing it out.

Even though this cost me an arm and a leg, this is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully, this will be my last mod. I don't plan on anymore mods anytime soon.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails After contemplating for months, I finally did it:  Tein HA + EDFC-112-1209_img.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 02:48 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

front view,
Attached Thumbnails After contemplating for months, I finally did it:  Tein HA + EDFC-112-1220_img.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 02:51 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Back view,
Attached Thumbnails After contemplating for months, I finally did it:  Tein HA + EDFC-112-1212_img.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 02:53 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

pic of EDFC,
Attached Thumbnails After contemplating for months, I finally did it:  Tein HA + EDFC-112-1225_img.jpg  
Old 02-28-03, 05:24 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Educate me on this .... with this setup you can control your ride height from that digital display inside your car? ... Does setup require replacement of front & rear shocks?... Cost?
Old 02-28-03, 09:15 AM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

basically, the tein HA setup is a coilover setup where its sold with the spring and the strut. you can only adjust the height of the car by raising or lowering the perches the spring sits on. with the EDFC, you can only control how you want the ride to feel. lets say you want your ride a little stiffer so you can corner better, you would set it to a stiffer level. if you want it to be a softer ride like a luxury car, they you would set it accordingly. you can't make it lower or higher via EDFC .

EDFC Info

Tein HA Info
Old 02-28-03, 09:40 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

007 - Sorry for the lack of detail. But, yeah, basically what Mischievious said. The EDFC can only control the stiffness. You have to remove the wheels to adjust the height. Cost.......the Tein HA coilovers + EDFC + labor.........~$1400. For me, I think it is worth it because it is exactly what I am looking for. But for others, it may be different.

Mischievious - thanks for the great explanation.
Old 02-28-03, 12:42 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ktsgs3:

nice, work man! got any infos where to purchase this?

tks!
Old 02-28-03, 06:23 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the lesson guys

Very nice setup.

kts_GS3.... nothing is too expensive when that is what makes you happy.
Old 02-28-03, 06:49 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Thanks, guys! I'm really enjoying the Teins. I'm think I made the right decision. Today, I tried out some of the stiffer settings. It was fun but I was literally bouncing off my seat when I drove over some uneven pavement.

I got the Tein HA's from a friend here who has a car accessory shop. I also contacted Steve Ganz (from Carson Toyota) to compare prices. My friend was charging me more for the parts itself but less for labor if I got it from him. Basically, it would have came out the same. I decided to get it through my friend so in case anything goes wrong I could always go back to him. But according to both my friend and Steve, this was the last set of HA for the 1st gen. They had discontinued the HA's awhile back and was just selling what they had left. You could call and check just to be sure. I know Tein has other applications for our car. The Tein CS is supposed to be similiar to the HA's but less stiffer (and less drop I think). I think it's a little more expensive, too.

I got the EDFC from Angel at Carson Toyota. He was recommended to me by Steve Ganz. I had my friend install it on the same day he installed my Teins.

Yeah, I wish I could meet up with you So Cal 1st gen-ers. Are any of you near Disneyland? I take my daughter there about 2-3 times a year. But unfortunately, we always take the minivan.

Off Topic here - for some reason I see 2 posts somehow got posted before my original post. And "BRIAN" as the "Thread Starter". It's no big deal but just wondering if it was only happening on my system.
Old 03-03-03, 04:52 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Will you need an Camber Kit?

Do you think you are going to need an Camber Kit to keep the wheels straight? Normally when you lower a car the tires tend tomlean in and wear on the inside.
Old 03-03-03, 09:56 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Will you need an Camber Kit?

Originally posted by DroppedGS
Do you think you are going to need an Camber Kit to keep the wheels straight? Normally when you lower a car the tires tend tomlean in and wear on the inside.
Yeah, I had that problem with both of my previous car ('85 Celica & '87 MB 190e) after I lowered it.

Right now I don't need it because I don't have an extreme drop on my Lexus. I had an alignment done after the installation and all came out OK in the rear. It was a little off in the front (I forget which side) though. If I lower the car more ( which I think I might do), I might encounter that problem.
Old 03-03-03, 12:31 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

kts gs3: tks for the infos, buddy!..we're plnning to have another 1st gen meeting soon, no exact date yet. the last meeting, only 2 people showed up, the rest didn't show maybe due to last minute call or had car problems...........like me!.....yeah, i had a brake problem that day and i had told jmai22 that i cudn't make it.
but yeah, we have to have "1" meet at least.......just hang out and talk about cars!!!

Quick Reply: After contemplating for months, I finally did it: Tein HA + EDFC