GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

CatalyticConverter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 06:29 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CatalyticConverter

The tittle says its all fellas. Im in need of a cat mines clogged up bad any1 got any suggestions????
Old 07-31-14, 07:11 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

A crowbar because that's what is getting done to mine lol
Old 08-01-14, 12:59 PM
S9JZS147
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends on the emission laws in your area...personally i run no cat since i am not going through any smog tests and turbos don't mix well with them to start hahaha. You can either buy an oe one from lexus for way too much....buy a direct bolt on from a local parts store...buy a universal weld in type or fit a test pipe/punch out old one. Either way up to you no real wrong way of doing it. Only one question comes to mind is why your cat is clogged? Is it due to age? Running too rich? Hope this helped....
Old 08-01-14, 04:03 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by S9JZS147
All depends on the emission laws in your area...personally i run no cat since i am not going through any smog tests and turbos don't mix well with them to start hahaha. You can either buy an oe one from lexus for way too much....buy a direct bolt on from a local parts store...buy a universal weld in type or fit a test pipe/punch out old one. Either way up to you no real wrong way of doing it. Only one question comes to mind is why your cat is clogged? Is it due to age? Running too rich? Hope this helped....
Dude. Mad props. You sir, nailed it.
Old 08-01-14, 04:13 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Originally Posted by S9JZS147
I would love to hit it wit the crowbar but unfortunately i needa pass smog. im good on goin to the stealership lol juss really wanna pass smog. and as far as i could remeber i purchased the car this way cuz it sounded loud off the bak but was still able to pass smog but im assuming it got bad and now cant even pass lol juss need a temporary fix i guess in order to pass smog
Old 08-25-14, 08:05 PM
amyinralei
Driver School Candidate

Default Has anyone had catalytic converter issues on GS300?

I have a 2002 GS300 that runs great and is in good condition. The check engine light came on. I need to pass the state emissions inspection. I replaced four O2 sensors but that did not fix the check engine light issue. I am being told the code means catalytic converter and its going to cost $1100 to fix. Has anyone else had any issues with the GS300? Suggestions?
Old 08-26-14, 08:50 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

The 1998+ gs300's ahve a different exhaust setup, try the second generation gs forums?
Old 09-16-14, 12:41 AM
Titten
Driver

Originally Posted by amyinralei
I have a 2002 GS300 that runs great and is in good condition. The check engine light came on. I need to pass the state emissions inspection. I replaced four O2 sensors but that did not fix the check engine light issue. I am being told the code means catalytic converter and its going to cost $1100 to fix. Has anyone else had any issues with the GS300? Suggestions?
Before spending that cash, clear up the codes and see if they come back.
Old 10-01-14, 11:25 PM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I got a question. I have no emission laws where I'm at so I'm not worried about passing any tests or anything. But my converters are clogged and my car is slugging down big time and drinking my gas like water. I wanna know if I just gut out my converter or cut it and put a straight pipe, would that affect the engine negatively at all? Cuz I did a little research and seen continuously that gutting your cats are bad. I just wanna verify if it is and what other options do I have.
Old 10-02-14, 05:36 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your cats are clogged and you gut them you will notice a difference but for overall performance gutted cats usually have very little positive gains and in some cases even have negative effects. I think the best option would be just deleting the cats all together be using an aftermarket header.
Old 10-02-14, 10:19 AM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
If your cats are clogged and you gut them you will notice a difference but for overall performance gutted cats usually have very little positive gains and in some cases even have negative effects. I think the best option would be just deleting the cats all together be using an aftermarket header.
What positive or negative effects are there? Can it be really serious? I just want to do this temporarily til I can get enough cash to replace them correctly.
Old 10-02-14, 12:21 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3RK

What positive or negative effects are there? Can it be really serious? I just want to do this temporarily til I can get enough cash to replace them correctly.
Positive effects would be a minimal horsepower gain while the negative effects ,which are more likely, will be a pretty sizeable loss in power. In some case I have seen pieces of the cat get pulled in the cylinders if the cat is not completely gutted. Not worth the risk to me.