GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Converting from Clutch Fan to Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 03:50 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Converting from Clutch Fan to Electric Fan

Hey guys!! My fan clutch is on its way out and the fan blades are in pretty poor condition which hasn't been a problem so far because it has been very cold lately but once spring hits and temps climb I am sure it will become a problem. So I want to convert to an electric fan set up!! Is there a bolt on OEM part I can use from a 2GS/Supra/IS300 or are there companies that make a set up for our cars? Also for anyone running a E-fan setup what are you using for temp control of the fans? I hope there is something out there because I think it would really clean up the look of the engine bay!! Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-24-14, 05:27 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of a bolt up version but supra stuff is real close if you have a fab shop or any fab skills. Make sure you use quality fans like Spal or Fal. Do NOT use mishimoto fans as they do not move enough cfm to cool.

As far as temp control sometimes I'll run one key on power and one off the back up fan circuit that's already there. Sometimes that's not enough though.
Old 01-24-14, 07:01 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

How close is it to fitting properly? I could probably just use a DIF Fan controller.
Old 01-24-14, 07:19 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Not sure I haven't bolted mine up yet but I laid it on the old radiator and if I remember right It was pretty close. I can't really remember if you could just drill the holes different or not. The shroud I got was like $600 and discontinued anyway but there are more available.
Old 03-11-14, 09:19 PM
Titten
Driver

Replacing the oem clutch fan and fan is a cinch, 30 minute job, and avoid possible electrical hassles. If the car is running hot with the mechanical fan, there's another reason why. My $0.02.
Old 03-23-14, 09:33 AM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re: fan swap

Its not hard as you have some type of control. I would run a second generation low profile fan.
Old 03-23-14, 12:09 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Does the 2nd Gen fit in the 1st Gen without modification?
Old 03-27-14, 07:39 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

man, 3 months ago I was trying to get rid of my fan and clutch from my imported 2jzge. I wish you would have asked then.

Please, please, please if you are not cramped on needed engine bay space, don't switch to the electric. The stock clutch fan setup does a damn good job of getting flow through. Plus it is very simple to change. I bought my new clutch fan a year ago for $50 on rockauto.com.

I thought about installing the electric fans, and running the wiring, until I did some serious research and found that the return on investment (time, money, labor, reliability, mean time before failure, probable causes of failure, etc.) for a stock 2jzge in which engine space is not an issue (no turbos or piping, etc) was not worth it.

I am only saying this because the simplest route is to replace stock with stock for this issue. But who knows, you may have plans for going all out with the engine mods and the electric fans may be a necessity for the future. In that case it makes sense to go electric. It really is all up to you.

Just my thoughts, & my thoughts are pennies on the dollar.
Old 03-27-14, 05:54 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

I do plan to do a turbo swap in the future but honestly at this point in time swapping to an electric fan is just for cleaning up the look of tge engine bay. My car isn't overheating I just hate the look of the clutch fan.
Old 03-27-14, 10:59 PM
kene
Lead Lap

ok. well I would check the results of the electric fan swap. from what I remember is it works out ok, but does not keep as cool as the fan clutch.

If you have time read around.

hope this helps
Old 03-27-14, 11:18 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that is true expecially with the sc400 I did a turbo set up and changetd to an electric fan befor the swap and had to put two of them oppisite sides one suck on blow wired up to keep from over heating and after the turbo I had to take out all the plastic in front of the radiator
Old 03-28-14, 08:40 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Oh and also I strongly recommend you keep the black plastic fan shroud, or make a custom one for the electric fan setup. The fan shroud is essential to help direct/focus the air through the radiator.
Old 03-28-14, 09:46 AM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

If you buy quality fans you won't have issues. Spal is all I use.
Old 03-28-14, 12:44 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

A quality fan is always a must or better yet an OEM fan setup. I wonder what it would take to install a 2nd GEN GS300 into a 1st GEN GS300.
Old 03-28-14, 06:03 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kene
Oh and also I strongly recommend you keep the black plastic fan shroud, or make a custom one for the electric fan setup. The fan shroud is essential to help direct/focus the air through the radiator.
Cant do that it gets too hot with it in there just fans because turbo temp... with out it stays just how it should it winter below 0 and in summer above 100 so im happy without it but evey car is diffrent so just knowing your car and experimentation is how you figure it out

Quick Reply: Converting from Clutch Fan to Electric Fan