GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Accelera Tires Stretched

Old 08-22-13, 11:55 AM
Canmar8732
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bk2thamax
I decided to try something different. I see everyone stretching Achilles tires and Falkens. So i decided to buy some Accelera tires and have them stretched. The STS by my house in NewJersey in Union did them for me. The rears are 255/35/20 mounted on 20x12 rims....and the fronts are 225/35/20 mounted on 20x10.
Do accelera tires run big?
Old 08-22-13, 12:00 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post pics of the rim after a week of driving. pls thanks
Old 04-28-14, 07:26 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to revive this old post. But im interested in how these worked out for you. Im about to order the same size tires for my 20x12 rims as well.
I think its funny with all these other people's responce with tire stretching. Tire stretching has be going on for decades. It not a new thing people.
Old 04-28-14, 08:19 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I never understood stretching. I come from the Supra community so I want wider wheels and wide tires for as much contact patch as possible! Why buy a wheel that's 12in wide wheel if you only want a 225 tire? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-29-14, 03:19 PM
bigjoeoso
Driver School Candidate

thats looks dope........ lol
Old 05-05-14, 01:53 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
I never understood stretching. I come from the Supra community so I want wider wheels and wide tires for as much contact patch as possible! Why buy a wheel that's 12in wide wheel if you only want a 225 tire? Doesn't make sense to me.
In the supra community thats what they do. In the "fitment" and "stance" scene tire stretching maybe the only option. No one said anything about mounting a 225 on a 12" rim?? Coming from me, I think meaty tires on a stanced out car makes no sense.

Last edited by 3gsJaayyyy; 05-05-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 08:46 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Some people want speed and performance (handling and braking) while others just want to look good going very slow. I'm more of a speed guy so I have big fat tires that fit my wheels right lol. 400whp isn't a lot but I use it as much as I can.
Old 05-05-14, 10:14 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
Some people want speed and performance (handling and braking) while others just want to look good going very slow. I'm more of a speed guy so I have big fat tires that fit my wheels right lol. 400whp isn't a lot but I use it as much as I can.
I see where you are coming from with your "speed and performance" statement. But saying, "looking good and going very slow" is your personal opinion. This is a Lexus GS forum. Our cars wasn't built for performance, unless you drop a 2jz or a 26b in it. Which is another story. I drive my car like I drive all my other cars. Obviously, ill take alittle more care when driving over potholes(to protect my rims). Running "big fat tires" has its purpose and running stretched tires has its purpose. I dont understand why people automatically look at it as a negative just because it doesn't look like their tires or looks unsafe. Mad Mikes 26b GS runs stretch tires. His RX7 runs stretched tires. Im sure both those cars has more HP than any of our cars. Last thing he does is drive slow.
Old 05-06-14, 04:29 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

It is a performance "sports sedan" luxury and a fair mount of speed. I don't disapprove of anyone's choice in car modifications but I do disapprove of unsafe mods. Cruising on stretched tires is fine thing but promoting faster speeds on them is highly unsafe. Sure a few guys do it and may not have issues but its not safe. Also you may have 1000hp but if you're running a 215 tire all you will do is smoke it. Straight line isn't all these cars can do either. I regularly keep up with mr2 on tighter canyons in my GS. My car is set up for what I believe the perfect blend of VIP cruiser, highway racer, and canyon runner. It rides very smooth yet holds The road good.

End of the day you can do whatever you feel is right. I don't have to agree with it as its not my car. As a custom car builder with 17yrs professional experience I can't allow people to do unsafe mods to their cars without all the facts. If you see something "cool" and want to do it but have no idea the affect it'll have on handling and braking you are foolish. Although if you understand it will negatively affect handling and braking and still want to go forward with it by all means.
Old 05-06-14, 05:03 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
It is a performance "sports sedan" luxury and a fair mount of speed. I don't disapprove of anyone's choice in car modifications but I do disapprove of unsafe mods. Cruising on stretched tires is fine thing but promoting faster speeds on them is highly unsafe. Sure a few guys do it and may not have issues but its not safe. Also you may have 1000hp but if you're running a 215 tire all you will do is smoke it. Straight line isn't all these cars can do either. I regularly keep up with mr2 on tighter canyons in my GS. My car is set up for what I believe the perfect blend of VIP cruiser, highway racer, and canyon runner. It rides very smooth yet holds The road good.

End of the day you can do whatever you feel is right. I don't have to agree with it as its not my car. As a custom car builder with 17yrs professional experience I can't allow people to do unsafe mods to their cars without all the facts. If you see something "cool" and want to do it but have no idea the affect it'll have on handling and braking you are foolish. Although if you understand it will negatively affect handling and braking and still want to go forward with it by all means.
You sound like the typical tire guy at Les Schwab.
Again with your 215 tires. I never said anything about mounting that size tire on a 12"wide wheels.
What you are saying is your opinion. You are trying to state facts when its all just opinions. Whos promoting stretch tires? Im not, just because I run them. Im just saying its been happening longer than your 17 years of professional experience.
I simply asked the OP how his experience was with the tires. Then you come along, with your 17 years of "professional experience" telling me redundent stories about your car. I When I never askes you for your stories or your opinion your car. Im not building my car so I can stop on a dime or take a corner at 100mph. If I was id buy a real performance car.
I think someone who street races is a fool. Theres a time and place for that, and its definitely not on the streets.
I am done with you. Go toot your horn somewhere else.
Old 05-06-14, 07:54 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

There is a reason most tire places won't do this. Hate all you want. If you drive your car on the street, you will eventually have to stop on a dime due to a kid or a car running a light etc so to have an unsafe street car and drive it is retarded. A good performing car on a track will also perform better on the street. 90% of the time just cruising an ill handling car is fine but the other 10% you'll regret your tiny little contact patch.

Sorry you can not take criticism well and feel attacked. Obviously you have your own issues. I'm not attacking anyone just commenting on my own experience on how unsafe stretching tires is. Not to mention how easy it is to ruin your wheels when the rim sticks out inches past the tire. Like I said before do whatever you want just don't be a fool and get all the information prior to your decision.
Old 05-06-14, 08:50 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

How about you listen to your own advice and get all your information before making all these false assumtions. I never said any of these:
215 on a 12" rim.
My rim sticks out inches past my tire.
I have a tiny little patch touching the road.
You now nothing about my car.

By you saying that, you are saying anyone running a 255 tire doesnt have enough tire touching the road to be safe?? Let me guess, your 17 years of experience is probably how long you've been driving. You you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. You pretty much are saying everyone has to build a track car to be safe on the street. You sir sound like an Idiot!

Im not hating on your concept of wider tires. I agreed that running wider tires has its benefits. But for my application it doesnt. Get that through your head. Im not building an oxymoron of a "VIP Cruiser, highway racer and a canyon runner". Since im not going with how you run your car, you bashed on me. Not once did i bash on you. Im simply stating there is no problem running stretched tires, as long as it is done right. You sound like a textbook hater!

You are also commenting on the topic of stretch tires on how unsafe it is. This debate is long gone and over with. Coming from a said "professional" you know that. But obviously you are not. Most tire shop wont do it because they are not trained to stretch tires. A "professional" would know that.
Having to stop if some dumb *** kid runs into the street. My car brakes just as well, maybe alittle better as it did stock.
I also forgot this is a 1st gen gs forum. My Gs is a 3rd gen. So out the box my car brakes better then any 1st GS.

Dont call me a fool. Update your facts, you sound like you are stuck in time...lets say 17 years ago.
Old 05-07-14, 04:16 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

That is a very funny rebutle. I do not know your setup nor do I care. I'm commenting on 90% of the stretched setups I see which are 10-12" wide with 205-225 tire on them.

Manufacturers post rim widths that are safe to run given certain tire width and sidewall height. This is what most tire shops will install. Other than that it is an insurance liability and they won't do it. Yes I'm sure most of them can install them and you most likely will be OK driving it around but its not ideal.

Your car does not out perform mine in any way, especially braking. Even a stock GS in any generation has the braking force to lock up or activate abs with OE tire sizes. Running a narrower tire hinders that braking effectiveness even further. Personally attacking me does not bother me at all. I know I am correct in my opinion on extreme stretched tires being unsafe. Feel free to do as you wish.
Old 05-07-14, 05:21 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

First off, I'm not attacking you in anyway. Im stating that you need to read what you are saying. Your comments have nothing to do with the OP. All you are doing is stating false facts about my car.

"Running a narrower tire hinders the braking effectiveness even further"-my tires are not narrow or any where near OE size.

You are also assuming just because im running a 12" width rim that im running a 225 tire. Only fools do that. I dont fit with in your 90%. Dont know what croud you run with, but maybe you should preach your professional expertise to them.

"Your car does not out perform mine in any way"- you also said, "I do not know your setup nor do I care".- How does this make any sense??? You dont know my car nor do you care??

Now you are saying this is how you feel on "extreme" stretched tires. Make up your mind before you start bashing on someone.

"Yes im sure most of them can install them and most likely will be OK driving it around but its not ideal."-
Its not ideal running low/high tire pressure in your tires. Its not ideal running staggered setups on awd cars. The list can go on forever. Yes, i agree with your point on "extreme" stretching. Im not running an "extreme" stretch. You still make no valid point for coming at me the way you are.

If you wanna be an internet bully? More power to you. My feeling are not getting hurn nor do I feel threatened by you. Your manufacture/OE facts are great, but like I said before. They have nothing to do with this OP, me or my car. So if you wanna get in to a "one up" or a "***** messuring contest" about your car. This is not the place for that. Maybe you should hit up hondatech for that. By reading what you've said so far, im sure you love hating on hondas.

Good day Sir!
Old 05-07-14, 10:04 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I'm not bashing you personally at all. I'm stating facts and none of them are directed towards you or your car. I am however commenting on the pic from the op which is extreme stretch and unsafe. I could care less what you think you have. This entire post is about the rim/tire choice pictured.

I've stated facts where you have no basis for your arguments at all. You continue to side skirt the real issue.

If you are so concerned with your particular setup post your specs up here, I'll cross reference that with manufacturers suggested sizing and inform you of what is safe or not. Its so easy a child could do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accelera Tires Stretched