GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Lowering Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 03:10 PM
lexusman20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok guys is there anyway posible to lower a 93 gs300 on a budget cuz frankly i dont have 800 dollars
for coilovers i cant find any lowering springs for my year and the ones i do find dont go down hardley at all
i need at least a 2 inch drop please help my car looks to high lol
will b postoing pictures of muy car soon thanks guys
Old 04-25-13, 04:40 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I bought the tanabe df210 and got about 2" from them. They fit all first gen. I got springs and 4 kyb shocks for $600 off eBay. It dropped about as much as id want to for a daily on 19s.
Old 04-25-13, 05:32 PM
DomRebel
Rookie

I debated on whether to pay for coils or buy lowering springs for a period of 10 months

In the end I'd say just save up for coils, even with the DF210s you will NOT be satisfied with the drop... the wheelgap is around 3 inches stock and it will still stick out like a sore thumb even with lowering springs. Even if you buy the springs you will need new aftermarket shocks because the stock ones might blow and in the end it'll cost you more in the long run because you probably will want coils soon after.

Don't cheap out, just get Megan Racing coilovers which are the cheapest ones available. There are a ton of places to buy them, and they're around $650 for a set anyways. I bought them and just waiting to have them installed in a couple days

In the end it's up to you. Do things proper, and do it once! You gotta pay to play; that's what I figured out for the MK1 GS, aftermarket parts are hard to come by and they are expensive when you find them

Last edited by DomRebel; 04-25-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 08:08 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Not to be rude but you just said don't cheap out, buy Megan racing they are the cheapest. You get what you pay for with anything. Cheap coil covers are just that. They will ride rough and not last long. I haven't heard anything good about Megan other than cheap. My df210 lowered my car exactly where I wanted it. If you are looking for a lowered stance and still s good smooth ride they are great. If you want to slam your car to the ground and have a harsh ride scraping everywhere then coil covers are a better option.

He originally stated he was interested in dropping 2" on a budget. Lowering springs and shocks will get you there for a decent price plus he can get just springs right now and save for shocks later which is even more budget friendly.

All that being said we should ask what his ultimate goals are. If you really want cheap cut/heat your coils. I highly do not recommend that but its cheap and will lower your car.
Old 04-25-13, 09:13 PM
DomRebel
Rookie

Sorry, I guess when I said "cheap out" it was pretty vague and I meant to suggest not buying lowering springs because they're a more cheaper alternative which in reality they're not (springs will cost ~$250, then you'll have to buy new shocks for all of them for an additional ~$250-$350 which is pretty much the same price as you can pay for a set of entry level coilovers. In the long run if the OP wants to go even lower he'll have to shell out even more money for coils so it's better to get entry level coilovers the first time around).

In terms of what you pay for coilovers, it doesn't even matter how much you pay all coilovers give a rough ride and in all honesty they won't last long at all, it's inevitable they will start leaking at some point and they'll have to be replaced.
I'm assuming the OP just wants the drop and no plans on taking the car to the track so there's no point having to pay more for some prestigious brand of coilovers when the cheaper entry level ones would suffice.

You shouldn't have even suggested to cut/heat his stock springs even though you don't recommend it. His safety isn't worth having a 2" drop so no point in having that out there in the first place

For OP: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...300-400-a.html
Check out the thread and see if the DF210s would work for you

Everything I typed is my opinion/advice so take it as is

Last edited by DomRebel; 04-25-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 10:12 PM
lexusman20
Driver School Candidate

hey thanks guys well my future goal is to trick my Lexus out
what kind of coilovers too both of you recommend
@Nixspeed i do want to go pretty low man but i think 2 inch would look good
i actually plan on putting a airide system on my lexus in the future so basically the coilovers would
b for time till i have the money to spend on the airide i have 18s on my car right now
and with coilovers cnt i go even lower if i wanted to they are ajustable right
so like i could 2 inches now and lower later if i decide to maybe roll my fenders out?
do coilovers replace the stock springs and struts?
i due plan on n the future before i put n the airide system to get deeper wheels with more of a lip to go wit the air ride
bascilay i want to vip my lexus out to a extent
Old 04-25-13, 10:32 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

OK so if you want VIP style coil covers are better at first. If you plan on going air bags later then just get cheap coilovers now. Coilovers don't all ride harsh only cheap ones with bad spring rates and poor valving. Air bags are the best option as you can slam them at a show and raise it up to drive.

Coilovers do replace the shock and the spring and depending on brand have many features such as adjustable compression/rebound adjustable spring rate and ride height. Race cars don't always ride harsh and street cars shouldn't ride harsh either. There are a lot of options out there. My suggestion is research all of them. I know they are all on here and lots of good info if you just search lowering springs, coilovers, airbags.
Old 04-25-13, 10:51 PM
lexusman20
Driver School Candidate

ok cool man thanks
wut kind of car u got wut suspension do
u have?
Old 04-25-13, 11:01 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I have 12 Toyota/ Lexus cars with all kinds of parts plus a few other non Toyota cars.

I have a 93 and 94 GS 300. I currently have df210 with kyb and 19s with full aristo swap single turbo etc. Ive been building cars professionally for 16 years and I've installed/driven pretty much every type of suspension.
Old 04-26-13, 12:15 PM
lexusman20
Driver School Candidate

damn 12 lol nice. well thanks for the help man
Old 04-26-13, 01:40 PM
JLFitment
Driver School Candidate

Get coilovers not springs.
Old 04-26-13, 03:19 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yeah I may need an intervention. You're welcome. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 04-26-13, 04:14 PM
lexusman20
Driver School Candidate

haha i will keep u guys posted thanks
Old 04-26-13, 08:11 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I'm going to post up my build as soon as its complete. Always nice to see peoples builds.
Old 04-28-13, 07:23 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

This might be what you need: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/1ge...grb-250-a.html

Quick Reply: Lowering Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!