GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

95 GS300 Trac Light w/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 03:09 PM
fireman171
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 GS300 Trac Light w/vibration

I have a 95 GS300 that all of a sudden started riding rough. At first I thought it was a tire issue because I had this slight vibration with steering wheel shake. Had all the tires rebalanced and rotated but no good. Over time it got worse, the gear shift is even rocking back and forth now. I checked the brakes and rotors, all are good. While checking the brakes out I had it in the air and ran the car in forward and reverse and man it sounded like the rear was about go. Left rear rotor spinning and when throttling up right side would spin intermittently and make a horrible noise. After looking on this site I finally but 2 & 2 together and realized it has something to do with the trac control. My trac light has been lite has been coming on about 10-20 minutes into my drives for some time and staying on until you shut it off and start again. I didn't realize this was a problem until now. In looking at all the treads on Trac issues I haven’t found one where people complained about driving issues like I am having.

I have an OBDii code reader/scanner for my trucks but this car has what I’m assuming is a OBDi connector, its ound with a flat side. Is this an OBDi connector? If so is there a code reader/scanner for it? I’ve seen treads on jumping it to get the codes but I haven’t done that yet. Can I just disconnect the Trac Control unit? Some of prices people have tossed around to fix these things is more than the car is worth. I don’t care about the Trac Control because I don’t drive it in the snow and the car runs fine until the light comes on then it’s back to running on octagon tires. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-13, 01:59 AM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Best thing to do is take it to Lexus and pay for the diagnostic. If your light is on its storing a code and they will tell you right away what the issue is. Generally it'll run you $60 but varies and you can call before for a price. My light comes on in my 93 from time to time but doesn't cause any shaking. If you are running it with the wheels off the ground the trac will think its spinning and do what it does to stop it. Are all your tires the same size?
Old 04-28-13, 01:52 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are throwing a CEL then it might be a good idea to see what code it is throwing first with the method below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-codes.html
Old 05-21-13, 03:08 PM
fireman171
Driver School Candidate

As you can tell I haven't messed with it for a while but drove it the other day it got worse started sounding like driving on rumble strips the entire time and gear shift would shake terrible plus it felt like it was dragging after driving a few miles and the TRAC light came on again. The car drifted to a stop on its own and you cannot push it in neutral. I am not getting any codes because it resets as soon as I shut it off, I am just getting the constant blinking light when I jump the terminals.

Next I found right the rear brake very hot and stuck, was able to collapse the caliper, took apart cleaned it up anyway and put it back on. Test drove and it did it again after driving 2 miles it did it again but the TRAC light didn’t come on this time so I’m getting no codes. Now the left front is stuck, I opened the bleeder and got no squirt of fluid just a little leaked out. I was able to collapse one piston real easy but other one was a challenge with a c-clamp. I checked all 4 wheels; (R) Front and (R) rear will turn by hand but have some real drag on them, the (L) rear spins nice and easy.

It's a 95 and I've done nothing to this thing other than service it religiously so though it only has 65,000 miles it does have some age on her. So I've ordered all new caliper, pads and rotors but I'm worried its something more. Any thoughts or ideas??
Old 05-21-13, 03:30 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

If the abs or brake system has issues it may be messing with the sensors. If your brake was seized up it may have overheated the abs/trac sensor causing issues.