GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

SQUEEEKY brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 04:01 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQUEEEKY breaks

ok i so my breaks are still squeeking like before. i read from a previous post it could be due to break dust. is there anything i can do from keeping the squeeking from coming back. its pretty embarrasing. i can drive in a parking lot doing 10mph with my foot barely on the breaks and they make soo much noise help.
Old 12-20-02, 04:20 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

dang, man.....it seems like you've been having little problems with yr car lately......dont touch anything until its BROKEN...!!!!...ha.h.a
Old 12-20-02, 04:21 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

naw my car is perfect. only problem is water leak and my freakin breaks. remember that day we drove around with my car to get our headlights done?? and you said my breaks were loud?? its doing the same thing still.
Old 12-20-02, 08:45 AM
blue wax
Lead Lap

yes Jmaii clean the dust from the brakes.... next time try some other brand of pads.

yezzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 12-20-02, 09:29 AM
marcus
Driver

Smile steady squeek or on and off??

Jmai.... I had a squeaking noise that was on and off, on and off, when I applied the brakes, not a constant squeel.... My front rotors were warped, after installing new rotors, this cured the problem. if you have a steady squeel, I would agree that a different pair of pads might cure it.
Old 12-20-02, 11:18 AM
Lvangundy

If your car is pretty new, most likely whoever put the brakes on forgot to put 'pad oil' or whatever it's called behind the shims.

If you know yourp ads are new, then it's safe to get some anti-squeal' from your local auto parts store and apply it between the shim (thin metal piece that goes over the caliper) and the brake pad back. Do NOT put it on the part that touches the rotor. You won't stop very well.

Mot aftermarket pads are pretty quiet, but some are more nisy than others. So far after trying NAPA, and another nameless metallic pad, I've found Toyota OEM pads to work the best.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 12-20-02 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 02:34 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lvangundy
If your car is pretty new, most likely whoever put the brakes on forgot to put 'pad oil' or whatever it's called behind the shims.

If you know yourp ads are new, then it's safe to get some anti-squeal' from your local auto parts store and apply it between the shim (thin metal piece that goes over the caliper) and the brake pad back. Do NOT put it on the part that touches the rotor. You won't stop very well.

Mot aftermarket pads are pretty quiet, but some are more nisy than others. So far after trying NAPA, and another nameless metallic pad, I've found Toyota OEM pads to work the best.
how does this oil work if i put it between the shim and the pad.?? i don't see how the shim causes a squeeking noise since it doesn't move
Old 12-20-02, 02:37 PM
Lvangundy

I don't understand how it works either.

It has something to do with the the horizontal vibration between the caliper and the brake pad.

The anti-squeal works, my NEW toyota pads and rotors squealed a day after I put them in, took the wheels and pads off and applied anti-squeal and poof no more noise.
Old 12-20-02, 02:39 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jmai22

how does this oil work if i put it between the shim and the pad.?? i don't see how the shim causes a squeeking noise since it doesn't move
it's actually vibration. the oil smoothens things out. picture it now?

there was this GREAT thread many months ago that i cant find now about brake squeal...very comprehensive. it came from someone in the SC forums. if someone knows what i'm talking about, raise your hand.

Last edited by meZoom!; 12-20-02 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 02:47 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. i'm gonna try this out.
Old 12-20-02, 08:32 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

My stock rear brakes squeal sometimes too! I am thinking it may be that my rotors are warped, but how can you tell if that is the problem? I don't want to buy new rotors and then that wasn't the problem.
Old 12-20-02, 08:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcnelson
My stock rear brakes squeal sometimes too! I am thinking it may be that my rotors are warped, but how can you tell if that is the problem? I don't want to buy new rotors and then that wasn't the problem.
well if the sound of your squeaking gets "slower" as your wheels turn slower (slowing down basically), then your rotors are uneven. i think in your case, maybe get new pads?? they might be worn out. check shims and area around the sliding pins, maybe you could use some of the squeal stop stuff too.
Old 12-20-02, 08:47 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by meZoom!

well if the sound of your squeaking gets "slower" as your wheels turn slower (slowing down basically), then your rotors are uneven. i think in your case, maybe get new pads?? they might be worn out. check shims and area around the sliding pins, maybe you could use some of the squeal stop stuff too.
Its hard to tell if the sound slows down or not, because it usually isnt like constant. The pads are pretty new, and I used stop squesl stuff. Maybe I will just have to buy new rotors and hope it fixes it. Thanks!
Old 12-21-02, 07:28 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Jmai22: Do you feel any vibration at all when breaking at high speeds or your brakes just squeal? If it's the former, your rotors may need resurfacing, if the latter, may be you need shim oil or maybe your brake pads are worn to the point that they need replacement.

When I bought my car, it'd vibrate when breaking from 80- mph. After resurfacing the rotors when changing brake pads the problem went away for about 2.5 years. Now the car started to shake (it's barely noticable) again, and when I will be changing the brake pads (I was thinking of going with EBC Green Stuff instead of OEM pads) I 'll have my rotors resurfaced again. I have stock rotors, not slotted, drilled or anything like that.

ALL: What does it mean when the rotors get warped? If I understand it correctly, it's uneven wear from the brake pads?

Last edited by Sovero1; 12-21-02 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 08:40 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh, ohh, I get vibration when braking sometimes. I hope that it is just my rear stock rotors that would be mucher cheaper to replace than my front Rod Millen rotors and pads. I guess I will have to replace the rear when I get the chance.

Quick Reply: SQUEEEKY brakes