GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Bought the 94' GS. Now, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 02:02 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The shifter trim has probably broken on almost every GS sold in the US. edashkit.com has the shifter surround for $48.00. http://www.edashkit.com/store/p/2459...OEM-1-Pc-.html The cupholder is also a common failure item. My brother fixed mine by adding retainer screws to the back edge so it doesn't slide all the way out.

The code 71 and CEL going off and coming back on is exactly what was happening in my car up to when I had the VSV replaced. Congrats on the car. Looks nice!
Old 01-15-13, 08:04 AM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSir
SWEET! Feels like it doesn't need an ounce of work, but I'm sure it does. I'll be going through all of this bit by bit over the next few months.

How do you think I should "inspect" each plastic plug. Do you mean, uh, physically touch?

Calipers definitely don't look great, rotors look pretty fresh and I think I'll get some pads and DIY.

Wish I had something that just had a diagram of what and where everything is... hmmm #hitssearchbutton
Yeah that's what I meant with,inspect lol, I had a 93 with 227k miles and those damn connectors would always give me aome type of trouble, even got to the point where it didn't want to start because the temp sensor connection was broken. Ball joints and upper control arms are easy to replace, tie rods will be a pain (i had to soak mine in pb blaster for 3 days) check for oil leaks in the engine bay also, if you have oil in your alternator it's more than likely that your distributor o ring is cooked, they only cost about 2 bucks at the (toyota) dealer. I have the pdf repair manual but it's too big to email, so what i'll do is try to find a site that will host it and pm you the link
Old 01-16-13, 10:35 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
The shifter trim has probably broken on almost every GS sold in the US. edashkit.com has the shifter surround for $48.00. http://www.edashkit.com/store/p/2459...OEM-1-Pc-.html The cupholder is also a common failure item. My brother fixed mine by adding retainer screws to the back edge so it doesn't slide all the way out.

The code 71 and CEL going off and coming back on is exactly what was happening in my car up to when I had the VSV replaced. Congrats on the car. Looks nice!
THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-16-13, 10:38 AM
IamSir
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by m1k3yg
Yeah that's what I meant with,inspect lol, I had a 93 with 227k miles and those damn connectors would always give me aome type of trouble, even got to the point where it didn't want to start because the temp sensor connection was broken. Ball joints and upper control arms are easy to replace, tie rods will be a pain (i had to soak mine in pb blaster for 3 days) check for oil leaks in the engine bay also, if you have oil in your alternator it's more than likely that your distributor o ring is cooked, they only cost about 2 bucks at the (toyota) dealer. I have the pdf repair manual but it's too big to email, so what i'll do is try to find a site that will host it and pm you the link
I have the man- so I'm good to go there. Sparky's could use a new set- summer on those as well. Control arms and ball joints look good in the back, must have been replaced. The front needs new rotors and brakes; arms and ball joints just dirty and old. I'll get to those over the summer. Other than that (and it's winter driving ability) the car is just about perfect. I think I want to put LED's in the headlights, but I don't want to take them off.
Old 01-16-13, 11:23 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Kit at .edashkit. is just a woodgrain overlay for your existing PRND2L Console plate, the part at sewell is the entire piece (frame, real woodgrain, clear section, shift **** slide etc. Guess it depends on how comprehensive a replacement you want. Let me know the cost of access to that FSM, gonna need that....
Old 01-21-13, 09:55 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Ok bro, the first thing would be the breaks. I would clean lube the slide pins to prevent the calipers from seizing. While there, replace a problem that plauges ours cars, the ball joints. They can and will break at anytime. Make sure to replace distributor o-ring to prevent oil from leaking onto the alternator. Everything else is basic care except for the T belt etc.