GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

need some advice asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 08:52 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice asap

just got a 1st gen 93 gs300 come to find out the guy who sold me the car screwed me buy selling it to me with a blown head gasket so i over over heated the car even more my boss says i should send the head out to the machine shop n put a new gasket .any advice here im lost ,my buddy got a 2jz with tranny for 600 should i buy the swap n drop it in or machine shop n new head gasket ...
Old 10-16-12, 10:04 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Buy the swap. Machining the head if it can be can be some big $. You would also have to machine the block, so you would have to take that into account.
Old 10-17-12, 12:06 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

so i should buy the swap n sell my parts from the other engine like the intake n coilpacks or keep the exsiting motor,n thanks for the advice this is my first lexus n dont know to much is it easy to drop in the swap..
Old 10-21-12, 05:25 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

I would keep the parts if you are dropping in the same engine. If you are going 2jzgte then sell the good parts. Again if you are going 2jzgte then the swap is a little difficult but not a pain like going different brand motor. If going to swap with another 2jzge then the swap is straight forward and you wont need too much just some tools and a couple parts off your old motor. You could probably get away with buying a long block and put all your parts on the new motor.
Old 10-21-12, 10:22 PM
MikeC7909
Driver School Candidate

Check the extent of how bad your current motor is. Take the head off and do a visual check. Make sure the block isn't too damage, walls and such. See if the rings are good as well the pistons / rods. If the head looks good too, go ahead and get it cut and cleaned. When reassembling use new parts where necessary. Gaskets, seals, waterpump etc. Hopefully the car wasn't kept running past overhead to point of no repair.
Old 10-22-12, 05:07 AM
badboylx04
Rookie

the motor still started with no knocking or pinging n the tranny fluid is brown n burnt so if i just get a 2jzge swap pull the old one n swap good parts to new one ,what about the tranny should i do a trans flush n filter .i started to dissasemble the motor n its a pain the intake manifold comes out in like three pieces n the wire harness clips r all broken from the previous dummy that screwed me damn im confussed i reallly dont have the knowledge on toyota but i do on hondas lol.what a mission.
Old 10-22-12, 05:13 AM
badboylx04
Rookie

mike how do i check the rings i no to rotate the motor to see the walls n such but no clue on how to check the rings some pointers on how to break down the engine would be greatly appreciatetd i got most of the top of the engine broke down but how do i take the head off do i remove the cams n rockers n i cant figure out how to remove the timing belt,thank mikec7909 n onelt1 n all u cl members..
Old 10-22-12, 12:53 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

A compression check would check the rings, also the condition of the walls would tell you if the rings are bad in some way. The intake is a pain and the hardest part to get off the engine. The camshafts have to come out to take the head off. Make sure you mark the cam bearings, if not already marked. 1 for the front of the motor and continue to the rear. Remove the head bolts according to the specs not sure what they are. The front timing belt cover comes off with some 5 mm allen heads, that's fairly easy. The hard part is getting the crank pulley off to get the lower cover off. I cut mine off one side was already broken so I just used some side cutters and cut it off. As long as you cut on either side of the pulley you should be fine the timing marks will still be there. The timing belt come off from underneath there is a hydraulic tensioner that bolts up, its in between the alternator and the top of the crank pulley, it's cylindical not hard to miss, two bolts hold that on. The idler pulley has a huge allen head and sits on top of the tensioner. The timing belt will come off by wiggling the belt off the cam gears. It takes a little bit but it will come off. The crank pulley must come off now in order to get the front main cover off. At this point you can either remove the short block and do the work on a stand or remove the oil pan from underneath, might be a bit hard though.
Old 10-22-12, 05:29 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

thanks onelt1 i got lots of it done on my lunch break ,i cut the timing belt since im going to get an oem one from toyota, the crank pully is really hard since the motor is still in the car i only have so much room to work with so i wasnt able to take that off n im going to take the cam shafts out tommorow n ill make sure to mark them ,so im doing this while the engine is still in the car n its a pain is there a better way to get the crank off i tried with an impact but no budge lol but im almost there ,thanks for the tech support i should have pics up soon of the progrese.
Old 10-22-12, 05:56 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

You need a special tool to remove it, don't remember the name off hand, but it screws into the two smaller holes in the pulley and you use a huge break over bar to loosen the bolt and then you need a pulley puller to remove the pulley from the crank. It's a pain! there is a video on youtube of how to remove certain things the guy actually is disassembling is whole engine. It might give you more of a visual.
Old 10-22-12, 06:06 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

The videos are called Jeff's garage and he is doing service on his motor. It's a gte motor but everything is basically the same and in the same location.
Old 10-22-12, 10:46 PM
MikeC7909
Driver School Candidate

everything onelt1 said
Old 10-23-12, 07:24 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

thanks guys u made it easy for a first timer lexus owner sure was a challenge for a honda guy lol the block looks good no scratches or sores on the pistons looks good to me n the visual on the head is not so bad i didnt see any cracks or imperfection from my eye but im still sending it to the machine shop for pressure test n resurfaceing that will cost me about 125$ plus ill get my parts for 30% off so im on my way ,pics up soon thanks again guys ...
Old 10-23-12, 08:09 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

You are welcome, glad I could help. That price isn't that bad, I figured it would have been more.
Old 10-23-12, 08:22 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

ya its pretty good so whats ur advice on getting parts as of toyota n after market ,like water pump,timing belt,head gasket,etc.since i get 30% off from any dealer or parts shop.cause i want to do a full gasket change n i look on ebay n they have whole gasket sets ,but not for sure on there quality far as head gasket n cam seal a so for.

Quick Reply: need some advice asap