GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My 1st 94 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 05:55 PM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My 1st 94 GS300

I've been wanted a 1st gen gs since Jay-Z had 1 in the video. I finally broke down and brought 1 yesterday. The jackleg dealership said they didnt know why it wouldnt start. They thought it was the ECU. I paid 1400. Its a 94 190235 on it

Well it didnt have a battery. But know that I got it 2 start, it shuts down whenever you give it gas. My boy who works 4 toyota told me that it probably is the ECU. Gonna order 1 off eBay tomorrow. Im already plotting on a 2jz-gte vvti swap too. I dont think thats gonna b as easy as everybody on here makes it seem. I got a lot of work ahead. Im really excited. If any of you vets have advice and tips please let me know
Old 02-26-12, 07:09 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looks good! As for the issue of it running and shutting down, I highly doubt it is the ECU. I would say something more along the lines of MAF, or something like that. Does it throw any check engine lights? It should....

As for some tips, paint the grill back to black. That gold looks hideous. (BTW I am not trying to be a douche, just stating some opinions)

Why a VVTi swap? That swap is going to be harder than a non-vvti swap. The non vvti is as simple as extending the aristo harness and dropping the engine in. The swap really is that-easy.

Let me know if you have any questions. The car has potential that is for sure!
Old 02-26-12, 07:24 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pick up. I have an extra ECU if you are interested.
Old 02-26-12, 10:31 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

I would diag that before just throwing a computer at it. Unplug the maf sensor and see if you can give it gas then. You said it die when you give it gas. That sounds like a maf among 50 million other things to me but I would try that first. Let me know if that works
Old 02-27-12, 12:04 PM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
The car looks good! As for the issue of it running and shutting down, I highly doubt it is the ECU. I would say something more along the lines of MAF, or something like that. Does it throw any check engine lights? It should....

As for some tips, paint the grill back to black. That gold looks hideous. (BTW I am not trying to be a douche, just stating some opinions)

Why a VVTi swap? That swap is going to be harder than a non-vvti swap. The non vvti is as simple as extending the aristo harness and dropping the engine in. The swap really is that-easy.

Let me know if you have any questions. The car has potential that is for sure!
I know the grille is horrible!LOL... It doesnt have any CEL, its really confusing. But more people have suggested the MAF sensor. So I'm going to clean that and the throttle body and see what happens

VVTi swap is only because Im having trouble finding a engine&trans without the turbos. Where's a good place to look?
Old 02-27-12, 12:05 PM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jussjoshin
I would diag that before just throwing a computer at it. Unplug the maf sensor and see if you can give it gas then. You said it die when you give it gas. That sounds like a maf among 50 million other things to me but I would try that first. Let me know if that works
Im going to clean the MAF and throttle body soon. Its dark by the time i get off so it might not be til saturday. I'll keep you posted
Old 02-28-12, 11:10 PM
ceegeeaye
Rookie

Is that a stock grill or was it painted? I've never seen a gold grill haha. Just caught my attention.
Old 02-29-12, 06:12 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ceegeeaye
Is that a stock grill or was it painted? I've never seen a gold grill haha. Just caught my attention.
Painted unfortunately!
Old 02-29-12, 06:18 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Messanger
I know the grille is horrible!LOL... It doesnt have any CEL, its really confusing. But more people have suggested the MAF sensor. So I'm going to clean that and the throttle body and see what happens

VVTi swap is only because Im having trouble finding a engine&trans without the turbos. Where's a good place to look?
First, if you clean the maf no not remove the sensor or spray it directly with maf cleaner. It will ruine the sensor.
Next-the vvti swap is going to be considerably harder because the wiring information is not readily available. Unless you really know what you're doing. As far as engines go, I actually had extremely good luck ordering mine off of eBay. I assume you don't want it to have turbos so you can go single, so why not remove them and sell them? The aristo ones may not bring much money but I wouldn't let an engine be counted out just because it has turbos.
Old 03-01-12, 06:00 AM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
First, if you clean the maf no not remove the sensor or spray it directly with maf cleaner. It will ruine the sensor.
Next-the vvti swap is going to be considerably harder because the wiring information is not readily available. Unless you really know what you're doing. As far as engines go, I actually had extremely good luck ordering mine off of eBay. I assume you don't want it to have turbos so you can go single, so why not remove them and sell them? The aristo ones may not bring much money but I wouldn't let an engine be counted out just because it has turbos.
In the other write ups guys where saying if you use the right cleaner it wont hurt the MAF or the sensor. I planned on doing it this evening...
Ive been looking on eBay. its almost impossible 2 beat those prices. I was gonna try the swap myself. im a little discouraged now after researching some stuff. I know a guy in powhatan. he's done a few swap ive seen his work. but i dont want to pay
Old 03-01-12, 10:20 AM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Messanger
Im going to clean the MAF and throttle body soon. Its dark by the time i get off so it might not be til saturday. I'll keep you posted
Don't clean it. Just unplug it and see if it runs better. If it does, then replace it. It's very easy to ruin a maf sensor and you will almost surely do so by spraying anything on it.
Old 03-01-12, 08:30 PM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy update

changed the MAF and cleaned the throttle body. im still having the same issues. it will start, but when i give it gas it shuts off. still not getting a CEL either. i'm gonna try a ecu next. let me know if you guys have anymore ideas
Old 03-01-12, 08:43 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Adjust your TPS to factory specs
Old 03-01-12, 11:20 PM
wilsonsan
Rookie

Does your car work on idle,without any problems ?
Old 03-01-12, 11:29 PM
guku0701
Rookie

i had a similar problem.car would run really rough when i step on the gas but doesnt die.had really bad idle too.i changed the plugs wires caps and rotors and ended up improving it a very slight bit.finally i changed the ignition coil and goddamn it seemed like it came from the factory.id suggest you should check that too.mine was a 1uz fe so it could be different.
good luck

Quick Reply: My 1st 94 GS300