GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need new key. Conflicting information.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 02:38 PM
KTWayman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need new key. Conflicting information.

These days, information is freely available, but that doesn't mean everything you hear is true. Navigating in the information age is tricky. Take the following for instance.

I have a 94 GS300. All the keys are now lost (long story). I do have a Factory Key Code.

First call to local dealer resulted in the following:
"You need a new ECU and a new set of keys paired with it. Without your master key you can't pair a new one" I tipped my hand, showing that I wasn't a complete idiot and new a little about computers.
"Why a new ECU? Why can't my current ECU be reflashed?
"Because you can only flash ECUs made after 2002.".

This last statement proves that he was not confused, thinking of a 2nd or 3rd Gen model. This was clearly 1st Gen he was talking about.

After some digging I discovered that 1994 Lexus keys do not have embedded transponders (I'm of course not referring to the remote unit but rather the immo unit). as later models do. I reasoned to myself, "Why would I need to do the whole pedal dance to pair a key with the ECU...if the key doesn't have a transponder!" I called a knowledgeable independent locksmith who confirmed this. "Just make a mechanical key and drive the car" was his advise.

I will add that in the process of reading up I came across Sewall Lexus with lots of recommendations and gave them a call. They were helpful, knowledgeable and stuck to the basics. No crap about needing anything pertaining to the ECU.

I'm curious to know if others have encountered the same misinformation and can confirm FIRST HAND (no hearsay or speculating please) that early 1st Gen GS300s do not have "chipped keys" and do not require pairing. Thanks. I'll post an update as the drama unfolds.
Old 12-12-11, 06:52 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 93 SC300 only came with a valet key. I went to my local lexus dealer and asked them to cut a key based on the VIN. I cheaped out and did not spend the $250 for the remote key. So, 10min and $25 later I had a new master key. I dont see the 94 GS being any different, but have not had any additional keys cut for my GS (94 as well).
Old 12-13-11, 11:13 AM
KTWayman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Matador. I found a definitive answer. Lexus began adding transponders in 1995. 93-94 keys do NOT have one and are strictly mechanical. They come in remote and non-remote versions. The remote unit is permanently paired to a ROM chip located in the remote entry ECU. This chip is replaceable, non-programmable, and comes with part number 89705-50944 which is a 2 key set (one remote, one non-remote). Alternately, if the key head is damaged externally, a new key shell can be cut and the pod inside could be transferred. However, an entirely new key will require a new factory paired ROM chip to be installed. This is unique to early 1st Gen models.

Since I no longer have any keys, mine can be cut from the key code but no further "programming" is needed. In retrospect, my statement that the parts guy was could not be confused because he was clearly talking about a 1st Gen model is correct, but only partly. He could have been thinking of a 1st Gen 95 or later, but it's his job to know the difference between a 93-94 and a 95. In my case the difference was critical. I still don't believe what he said about flashing but that's a different matter.
Old 12-14-11, 09:49 PM
yangaroni
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is good to know. I'm going to be needing new keys. glad i can just go get some cut without the whole pedal dance. thanks kt!
Old 12-15-11, 08:33 AM
cnewingham
Driver

YUP, So true. I wanted to get a key fob for the unlock/lock function but have found that a GOOD aftermarket alarm will cost about the same and add so much more in the vehicle security department not too mention the auto start feature