GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

A prospective buyer needs HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 09:06 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default A prospective buyer needs HELP!!!!!

Alright guys, this is it! I am in the market for a 1st generation GS and i couldn't be more excited. I've been an admirer of the car for quite sometime, and I finally have the opportunity to pull the trigger. I refuse to pay another car note, so I've decided to the get the car that I've wanted since high school(I graduated from HS in 2003). I'm sure I'm going to receive a lot of weird looks for purchasing a car that is 17 years at it's youngest possible age, but I am in love with this car. This car was so ahead of it's time; I honestly think it's giving some recent cars a run for it's money. Obviously, I would prefer to get latest year(s) possible, but I don't see a lot of 97's for sale.

Here is where I need the 1st gen guru's help.I know that no car is without it's common issues, especially a car that is 17+ years of age. What problem areas should I be looking for? What should I be looking to repair on a car that's in pristine condition? Any info would really be helpful. Once I get my hands on the car, I am looking to hold on to it for quite some time.
Old 09-16-11, 09:55 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe there are a few threads/stickies listing the common problems so just try a quick search. Off the top of the my head, the window regulators usually go bad so it won't roll up/down. Also, the 96-97 5spd auto trans are not known to last very long. Good luck on your search and post pics when you pick it up!
Old 09-17-11, 08:47 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam we have the same story..... I grad HS in 03, didn't want another car note, wanted one for a while. So Jumped on a 94 with 179k. Like THEMOLE said window regulators. (front ones didn't work when i got the car. got one off ebay for $50 and one from Junkyard for $40). 96-97 5spd auto trans have had some issues. Mine is still running great. Good luck.

Loved the decision i made. with that said. I replaced radiator. thermostat, water pump, timing belt, cam seals, valve cover fuel filter, sparks and wires, ECT sensors. Couple other things but my car was poorly maintained by previous owner. Couple more things and shes almost brand new.

My car is not even hooked up yet and i get GOOD LOOKS from people.
Old 09-17-11, 10:54 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ pics or gtfo
Old 09-17-11, 11:45 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by greens14
^ pics or gtfo
huh???? U think I made that up???

Last edited by freshmoney; 09-17-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-17-11, 11:58 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

freshmoney: Are you mechanically inclined? Are you making the repairs yourself? Or do you take it to the shop?
Old 09-17-11, 12:22 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by MyGS3
freshmoney: Are you mechanically inclined? Are you making the repairs yourself? Or do you take it to the shop?
This is the first car i have ever worked on in my life. Not even a oil change before this one. Only thing i didn't do was the water pump, valve cover, cam seals, took it to Ed on this site. My friend helped with the tune up. Was comfortable enough taking off half the engine by myself. Everything else was was pretty easy for a noob. I even did tranny drain and fill coolant flush changed hoses etc.
Old 09-17-11, 03:04 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by freshmoney
This is the first car i have ever worked on in my life. Not even a oil change before this one. Only thing i didn't do was the water pump, valve cover, cam seals, took it to Ed on this site. My friend helped with the tune up. Was comfortable enough taking off half the engine by myself. Everything else was was pretty easy for a noob. I even did tranny drain and fill coolant flush changed hoses etc.

Okay. I've been searching high and low for a quality one. I'm hoping I can find one very soon. I'm even willing to travel to a different state for the right car. As soon as I get one, I will post pics.
Old 09-17-11, 10:46 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Okay. I've been searching high and low for a quality one. I'm hoping I can find one very soon. I'm even willing to travel to a different state for the right car. As soon as I get one, I will post pics.
mechanically inclined or not, youll be fine either way as long as you care. and pics or gtfo means post pics of the new car asap. congrats btw
Old 09-18-11, 10:09 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 09-18-11, 06:14 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

there a lot of gs3 in ga. I see about 3-4 a dayrunning around so finding one shouldn't be that hard
Old 09-18-11, 06:35 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
there a lot of gs3 in ga. I see about 3-4 a dayrunning around so finding one shouldn't be that hard
I see a couple around the city. I don't think finding one will be the hard part. I think finding a quality one will be difficult. Are you in the Atlanta area?
Old 09-18-11, 07:13 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=MyGS3;6689951]I see a couple around the city. I don't think finding one will be the hard part. I think finding a quality one will be difficult. Are you in the Atlanta area?[/QUOTE
yes I live in the A-t-hell area
Old 09-18-11, 07:20 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

[QUOTE=2turbo4u;6690021]
I see a couple around the city. I don't think finding one will be the hard part. I think finding a quality one will be difficult. Are you in the Atlanta area?[/QUOTE
yes I live in the A-t-hell area
A-T-Hell. Funny. I'm afraid to ask why you call it that. Do they have any gatherings in Atlanta?
Old 09-18-11, 07:29 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

yeah they have gathering, like the Varsity on the 1st thurs. of each month.
Caffeine & Octane the 1st Sun. of each month
then there's Seloc the southeast lexus members meet. Check the southeast section of the regional portion of the board. Also get with Veritek he's goes to the lexus meets.

Last edited by 2turbo4u; 09-18-11 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: A prospective buyer needs HELP!!!!!