GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Driver seat wont adjust forward or back.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 04:17 AM
whattaGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat wont adjust forward or back.

All functions work except going forward and backward with the entire seat, it feels like its getting Hung up on something on the right side of the seat. Anybody got any ideas, troubleshooting tips or stories of similiar issues with a resolution?
Old 09-05-11, 04:25 PM
lpolo69
Pole Position

There are 3 seat motors under your seat. If the one that controls back and forth doesn't click or you can't visibly hear it than the motor is bad. Worse case is the plastic gear has gone bad. Bang the motors with a hammer to see if that works for you also.
Old 09-06-11, 02:15 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My driver seat have the same problem and I'm pretty much stuck at where I'm at. At least I'm the only one driving it so I guessed I'm okay with that for now.
Old 09-14-11, 04:01 PM
2jzforme
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if the plastic gears in the seat tracks are still avaible from the dealer?
Old 09-14-11, 05:29 PM
whattaGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suprawhite
My driver seat have the same problem and I'm pretty much stuck at where I'm at. At least I'm the only one driving it so I guessed I'm okay with that for now.
Yeah its stuck where she sits, its my wife's car so when I drive its uncomfortable because I am 5'11' 220pds. Anybody know if I can just change the seat or is it not that simple. I will check my local dealer's for the plastic guide.
Old 09-16-11, 09:05 PM
silvergs94
Driver School Candidate

Default 1st gen gs300 fore aft seat jamming

check out this site. gamaviti.com it caters to land cruisers who have a similiar problem with their seats jamming. i have ordered and recieved replacement white gears that are the weak link in the fore aft drive system of certain year land cruisers. these i were told are the same as the ones that fail on the 1st gen gs300 seats. you can cross reference this an check it out to be sure. there is a diy tutorial on this site also that guides you through the replacement process. hope this helps get you going
(forward and backward). also i heard that these gears and mabye the gear boxes they are contained within are interchangeble between the drivers and passengers seat if you want to make the drivers side adjustable again and have the passenger side stationary. one more thing, i found on my seat the inside track was where the jamming was occuring and it is possible to reposistion the seat semi manually by bumping the seat switch in the direction you want it to go then using a ratchet wrench, extention and socket turn the nut at the forward end of the inner track to pull/push that side of the seat so it catches up with the other side. repeat repeat till you are where you want to be. thats all

Last edited by silvergs94; 09-16-11 at 09:12 PM. Reason: too add mo info
Old 09-17-11, 03:35 AM
lpolo69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silvergs94
check out this site. gamaviti.com it caters to land cruisers who have a similiar problem with their seats jamming. i have ordered and recieved replacement white gears that are the weak link in the fore aft drive system of certain year land cruisers. these i were told are the same as the ones that fail on the 1st gen gs300 seats. you can cross reference this an check it out to be sure. there is a diy tutorial on this site also that guides you through the replacement process. hope this helps get you going
(forward and backward). also i heard that these gears and mabye the gear boxes they are contained within are interchangeble between the drivers and passengers seat if you want to make the drivers side adjustable again and have the passenger side stationary. one more thing, i found on my seat the inside track was where the jamming was occuring and it is possible to reposistion the seat semi manually by bumping the seat switch in the direction you want it to go then using a ratchet wrench, extention and socket turn the nut at the forward end of the inner track to pull/push that side of the seat so it catches up with the other side. repeat repeat till you are where you want to be. thats all

Are you positive that these are the same gears ? Anyway to find out cause I need a set of these also ...........
Old 09-17-11, 08:57 AM
whattaGS
Driver School Candidate

My dealer does not carry these parts so silvergs94 suggestion may be the only way to get new parts, you can find a part out 1st gen, I have found a couple in my area but I would like to have new ones then they would last another 14 years,lol.
Old 09-18-11, 03:41 PM
silvergs94
Driver School Candidate

Default seat gear compatibility

check on the gramviti.com website what vehicles that the gears offered there will fit, then check thru a toyota or a lexus dealership and see if they they will also fit the 1st gen gs300 If you have access to a 1st gen in the salvage yard use the passenger side gear as it is bound to have very little wear compared to the drivers side gear. the dealership told me both sides gear boxes are interchangeable so it seems the gears within would follow suit.

Last edited by silvergs94; 09-19-11 at 02:49 PM. Reason: to add more info
Old 09-21-11, 07:28 PM
2jzforme
Driver School Candidate

Awesome guys, thanks for the informal info!! Good good stuff!
Old 09-22-11, 11:36 PM
808UCF11
Driver

and i thought my gf's gs was the only one having this problem!!!
Old 09-25-11, 02:08 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Same thing happened to my passenger's side front seat, and we took it apart, and it's the motor. Not gonna change it since it's gonna be pretty expensive.
Old 09-12-15, 09:52 PM
Muisak
Driver School Candidate

Default Fun with power seats

Killed mine this morning. Got a spray can wedged under the seat, and i'm pretty sure its stripped the one side gear. Has anyone tried these gears from gamiviti to see if they work for the 1st gen GS? Says it fits first gen LS, hopefully with the way toyota loves making things modular it'd be the same part lol.