GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Upper coolant neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 06:07 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper coolant neck

anyone have trouble with the hose attached to the upper coolant neck nipple?
Attached Thumbnails Upper coolant neck-coolant.jpg  
Old 08-26-11, 09:10 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

when you say trouble, what do you mean? trouble removing it?
Old 08-26-11, 09:56 AM
rapollon
Lead Lap

I've pin pointed that its leaking but never heard of it having issues. Looking at the diagram, I don't know where the upper part of the hose connects.
Old 08-26-11, 09:57 AM
rapollon
Lead Lap

can I just clamp it off for now?
Old 08-27-11, 11:22 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

naw...i dont think clamping it down is a good thing...My assumption is it goes to the heater core. I can't see what else is going on in the diagram.
Old 08-27-11, 09:54 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

bought the hose today from the dealer, about $20
Old 08-28-11, 08:36 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

I had problems with mine a few weeks ago. These are signs of when that hose is going bad
1. Obviously you will see signs of leaks on the floor.
2. when you are driving ur car and hit 75mph to 80mph on cruise or at a steddy drive your low coolant light will come on and when you let off that gas the light will go off. if you do check ur coolant reservior or the radiotor you will have full on everything. when this happens you are not crazy, you did see that light come on and went off. just replace it. And i don't know what hose you bought but that hose from lexus is $52.00, I'm a toyota technician and even with my discount with shipping and every I had to pay the $52.00. so it probably cost a few more bucks so double check that part you got cuz the hose in that pic looks like your brake booster hose. but my cost may just be out here i dont knwo... but replace the hose and you should be fine. do not just clamp it, i did the same thing while i was waiting for mine to get the my job site and it i went out on me on my way to work one morning.
Old 08-28-11, 06:15 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

To my surprise it was 20 bucks, the hose that I have flagged with the red arrow in the diagram above. Here's the kick in the pants, I had knee surgery last month. I can't stand for too long, I'm trying to figure out if I need to remove the entire intake or can I access it without doing so. Can't see the other end of the hose.

Originally Posted by Pliccaid
I had problems with mine a few weeks ago. These are signs of when that hose is going bad
1. Obviously you will see signs of leaks on the floor.
2. when you are driving ur car and hit 75mph to 80mph on cruise or at a steddy drive your low coolant light will come on and when you let off that gas the light will go off. if you do check ur coolant reservior or the radiotor you will have full on everything. when this happens you are not crazy, you did see that light come on and went off. just replace it. And i don't know what hose you bought but that hose from lexus is $52.00, I'm a toyota technician and even with my discount with shipping and every I had to pay the $52.00. so it probably cost a few more bucks so double check that part you got cuz the hose in that pic looks like your brake booster hose. but my cost may just be out here i dont knwo... but replace the hose and you should be fine. do not just clamp it, i did the same thing while i was waiting for mine to get the my job site and it i went out on me on my way to work one morning.
Old 08-28-11, 08:34 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Thats weird, but lucky on the price and no you dont need to take of the entire intake off it aint fun but you can get to it. just get you a niddle nose pliers and head at it. you probably wont see back there so you might have to use your hand to feel it as you work on it. And make sure you get the clamp on all the way when you put it on. you dont wanna have to do it again
Old 08-28-11, 08:42 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

wait a min, it that hose under the intake? like does it goes from the bottom of the throttle body to the lower left hand side of the motor? Cuz I was actually thinking about the heatercore control valve hose behind you #6 spark plug and curves to the right to the control valve! thats why the price is so low lol, my bad on the misunderstanding man. im pretty sure you can get to it without taking off the intake. if not you might need to back off the bolts on the throttle body, move the throttle body back a little and proceed.
Old 08-28-11, 08:48 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Will Do. Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by Pliccaid
wait a min, it that hose under the intake? like does it goes from the bottom of the throttle body to the lower left hand side of the motor? Cuz I was actually thinking about the heatercore control valve hose behind you #6 spark plug and curves to the right to the control valve! thats why the price is so low lol, my bad on the misunderstanding man. im pretty sure you can get to it without taking off the intake. if not you might need to back off the bolts on the throttle body, move the throttle body back a little and proceed.