GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st gen GS300 intake manifold plugged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 11:52 AM
silvergs94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen GS300 intake manifold plugged?

I am working toward clearing the common trac off / check engine lights on my 94 gs300. I have tested and cleaned all components of the EGR system except the intake manifold. It seems that there is plugging found there since I am unable to blow pressure thru the port where the EGR valve bolts to it. With a light and mirror i can look a short distance into this passage an see no signs of any carbon biult up. Is there some reason besides a plug that would prevent pressure from flowing thru this port into the intake manifold? If indeed there is a plug a little further in what is the easiest approch to removing it? When looking thru the intake from the end the air cleaner is connected to and opening all the butterfly valves, I see a pipe about 1/2 in in diameter running across the throat of the manifold in a front to rear (of the car that is) posistion. Is this a sort of diffuser tube for the egr gasses and could this be the possible location of the plugging? Also on the rear side of the manifold, where this internal tube is located there is a freeze plug type cap inserted. Could i possbly remove this cap and do the plug removal from there then reseal the manifold afterward. I am trying to avoid removing the intake manifold. If i must can i just remove the portion down stream of the traction control unit or must it come off all the way back to the air cleaner hose? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 08-20-11, 12:51 PM
silvergs94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face found answer in the Diy sticky. Will look there 1st next time. sorry to waste space

this is a great forum one note: i thought the EGR valve was bad because the engine did not stumble when vacuum was applied to the valve at idle. I could have checked it further by using a mirror and flashlight to see if the shaft between the diaphram and the valve was moving when the vacuum was applied, it was, the valve is good. Time to wrench.

Last edited by silvergs94; 08-20-11 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-21-11, 12:02 AM
siknezz408
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my car, I had a check engine light on my car with a egr code, so I first check the egr valve and the egr vacuum switching valve for any leaks using a smoke machine and everything was good, then I applied manual vacuum to the egr and the rpm did not drop, so that means the egr ports are clogged. You gotta take apart the intake manifold and clean all the ports and it should be good.