GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

New audio system install help (south florida)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 07:10 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New audio system install help (south florida)

Hey any members in the south florida area wanna help me upgrade my stereo system in my 1994 1st gen. Willing to pay. I dont know much about installing stereos thats why i want to see some one do it up close. i learn things in one shot. Right now i only have one speaker working the rear pass. door. not sure whats going on. the driver side speakers dont come on. not sure whats going on. Thinking about rewiring all the speaker wires. So i ordered some new 6.5 kenwood speakers both for rear and front. Making custom baffles now. I got a old (2,3,4,5,6) channel amp lying around. And i want to get one 12 in a small sealed box.(love the trunk space) so much i want to go IB but not sure if the rear deck cover can handle it. bought it with no stock sub. And i need to order a double din tv. Alot of work for someone who only has connected speaker wires to a speakers.........
Old 03-23-11, 10:27 AM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running an IB sub 12" in the stock location. I bought a 10 line to rca convertor on ebay and a bs amp on craigslist, total cost about $90, been running this setup for two years and sounds great.

Pioneer Sub $40
amp 50
Convertor 10
Old 03-23-11, 10:46 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Rapollon what sub are you running and did mount it directly to the rear deck or to mdf and mount it under the rear deck(any pics) and any mod to rear deck or cover??????....... i just like the idea of keeping it looking stock instead of a box in the trunk
Old 03-23-11, 08:35 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

It's a pioneer 12 infinite baffle sub, I don't recall the model. Remove the stock plastic sub ring and the 12 fits perfectly. I secured it with some machine screws. No dynamat since the car is already will insulated and I'm not running much power about 300w... works great, just have to tune the crossover on the amp to make it sound right. I'll try and post a video
Old 03-24-11, 10:01 PM
freshmoney
Driver

yeah i would love to see a video. yeah i want to try a free air sub first and see if i can get the bass i want. just want a little thump to my music nothing fancy. Thinking about purchasing a pioneer 12" ts-w303r and put it in the rear deck, the specs are close enuff for IB. and if it doesn't work a small sealed box wont take up that much space and they dont sound pretty good for a $40 sub. i finished and installed the front baffles today with the kenwood 6.5 kfc1682ie. i was only able to screw the 2 bottom lower screws to the door. i use 1/2" thick mdf to make the baffles. i followed the steps on here . any one else have that problem?????? but its still pretty stiff, does move at all. once i mounted the baffles i figured why not hook up the speakers. I went with the facotory wires already in the car instead of rewiring. I was only able to get the driver door working tonight, i connected the pass. side the same way but it wouldn't come on. took it off and tried it on the driver side and it worked fine so its not the speaker. it got dark and i dont have a garage so i had to quit on the pass. side speaker till the morning . Im already impress with the kenwoods. with only one speaker it sounded clear and loud and ran off pioneer old 2 din HU 50x4.....
Old 03-25-11, 11:36 AM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

I removed the plastic speaker grill and place a 2000 watt 12" pioneer subwoofer and stored it in the rear deck. I replace all my front and rear 4" factory speakers with 4" JVC speakers. I have 2 600w Alpine amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub. Freshmoney what is a free air sub?? What sound does the free air sub gives you ??
Old 03-25-11, 03:36 PM
freshmoney
Driver

free air sub is a sub that doesn't need a box. example sitting on the floor in your room while playing fine. what we really need for are cars a a infinite baffle sub. which uses our trunks for the box. your suppose to be able to get just as good bass like if your had a box... i just got done cutting out the speaker box that was built into my trunk (spare tire well) 4 12"s. bought it like that. now my trunk is back to normal. after looking at the rear deck not sure about putting a sub there. rear deck cover looks real weak like it would rattle took much with a sub right next to it....... @AJ how does yours hold up.... FLORIDA SUN, car with no tints is a MONSTER to the rear deck.
Old 03-25-11, 07:50 PM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

Yeah the trunk rattles a bit, but not too much. I have 30% tints. Fresh I would like to some pics of your subs in the trunk and pics with the 6.5 speakes you are installing in the front n rear. I want to see how it looks.
Old 03-26-11, 10:28 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Here are the speaker baffle pics. i just followed the outline i seen from some of the guys on here(SC's, 2nd gen GS's).... couldn't find any pics of our cars.

I already installed the front two in the car but..... no pictures yet... waiting on the rear speakers they get here on monday I went 6.75" in the back.

i haven't ordered the sub yet. i'm only going one 12". I spoke to kicker and they told me i can use there Kicker CVR sub and it would work great as long as i dont try to feed it too much power. Without the box and sitting in the rear deck they said give it only HALF the RMS. Might try that first but it also can pound in a small sealed box in the trunk.

Last edited by freshmoney; 03-26-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 11:36 AM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

Wow I can't wait to see the finishing touches. I thinking about putting 6.5"component speakers in the rear only. The music willbe playing in the back. Nothing is the front.
Old 03-29-11, 06:45 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Finally got all the speakers to work!!!!!! There were never connected to the HU.... Aj i will have pics up soon... its been raining off and on here in fl so im workin while i can. i have to add my amp now, and some slik tweeters.

Last edited by freshmoney; 03-29-11 at 06:50 PM. Reason: pics
Old 04-23-11, 04:32 PM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

FRESHMONEY how's the project coming alone??? I'm still waiting for your pics??
Old 04-25-11, 10:23 PM
freshmoney
Driver

aj i haven't forgot about the pics.... just been real busy with work. still need to order my sub and maybe a amp. thinking about running speaker and sub separate amp.
Old 05-02-11, 02:12 PM
AJ STYLEZ
Driver

Ok FRESH!!! What name brand sub and amp you thinking about geting??
Old 05-04-11, 06:48 AM
freshmoney
Driver

still undecided...... every time i find something i wanna try i see something else. not going to crazy on the bass im more into SQ with this car. Right now i Really want a 7" in dash. the car came with a old double din pioneer.

Quick Reply: New audio system install help (south florida)