GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Project: headlight Mod: version 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 12:04 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: headlight Mod: version 2

Ok, This has been an ongoing project for quite some time, and I thought i would post it up on here from another site that it has been posted on the whole time.

alright, well the last headlight modification project was a success, for those of you that don't know what I did to the last set, look below:
(they are white, not blue)

and i think i'll be selling them, as i've had a VERY generous offer from a fella in australia.

Now onto Version 2 of this.

This one all started with me trying to get a correct set of headlights in my RHD aristo.
In Canada, our roads are ment for LHD cars, meaning we drive on the right side of the road. lights are suppose to shine further and higher on the right hand side of the car. With RHD aristos from japan, they drive on the left side of the road, and the left light shines higher up, blinding oncoming drivers in Canada.
This is the aristo projector (shown with a normal 50w halogen bulb):

as you get further away from a wall it gets worse and shines upwards to the left(which causes the blinding of other drivers) notice how much of the freezer you see above the cutoff line

this is what i'm going to be putting in (shown with a 50w halogen bulb):

note how you can't see the top of the freezer, and the light shines upwards to the right (which would shine up towards the ditch when driving on a highway in Canada)

now, i thought to my self, why put in nice projectors and have the lame lenses that have lines in it. so here goes the next part of the project:

i decided to tackle the task of removing those lines, and since they were already baked apart, here went nothing:

the sanding has only been a couple hours, at max. i'm in the process of sanding them right now as i post this. i'll keep this updated
Old 12-05-10, 12:05 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

spent another hour or so on them, the lines at the bottom are such a pain in the rear. And the most time consuming part is going to be getting everything in the middle, without scratching the lines i don't want to remove on the left side of the light.

Old 12-05-10, 12:06 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

got a bit more progress done on it, it's hard to tell compared to the last pictures, but there has been a huge amount of progress done, the lines at the bottom are very hard to get, since the bottom of the lense is covering some of it.

Old 12-05-10, 12:07 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

so after working a couple 70 hour weeks, and being sick, I was able to get out all the lines that I want out. now the rest of the work involves removing the yellowing that is at the top that was caused by trying to using a power sander, and slowly starting to use a finer grit sandpaper and then polish it up. these pictures were taken after i finished with 220grit paper, next i'll be using 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, then they should be good to polish on up

Old 12-05-10, 12:08 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

so i've moved my way up from 220 grit sandpaper, to wetsanding with 1500 grit, just got a little bit more elbow grease with 2000grit and then they'll be ready for polishing

Old 12-05-10, 12:10 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

So i've started to polish them up and try to remove all the final small scratches. this part is proving to be harder than i thought.

Old 12-05-10, 04:45 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job man! I like how you are documenting the progress.
Old 12-05-10, 07:05 PM
RY2K
Driver School Candidate

totally awesome
i so wanna do this
Old 12-05-10, 11:05 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Yea i have a more detailed thread on clubaristo.net, the link in my signature.

i hope it turns out good, as it's been MONTHS in the works. haha
Old 12-06-10, 01:07 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

and back up to date as of current:

I'm still only about 70% done polishing this lense, but was bored and thought what the hell, why not. I have some trimming and stuff to do around the new projector to make it fit, and then a bit of covering that up as well. as you'll see in the last picture

The new projector being lite up threw the polished lense:

I'm working on sanding the other lense right now, and am almost done getting all the lines out, and will have more pictures up sooon
Old 12-06-10, 02:30 PM
jdmmk3
Rookie

thats sick. is there a reason why u didnt sand down the turn signals, i kno it would take a longer time but would this change the way the light would seen?
Old 12-06-10, 02:46 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmmk3
thats sick. is there a reason why u didnt sand down the turn signals, i kno it would take a longer time but would this change the way the light would seen?
Gives it some separation...
Old 12-06-10, 03:52 PM
pingpong89
Pole Position

looks good, very nice job bro. what car is the projector from? are you planning to put a bezel around the projector?
Old 12-06-10, 04:01 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the deline on my SC, it was a pain. I feel your pain as I'm reading the thread. Keep it up dude.
Old 12-06-10, 05:44 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

real nice crisp cut off line

Quick Reply: Project: headlight Mod: version 2