GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How much do you love your JZS147?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 09:20 PM
VietScouty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How much do you love your JZS147?

This was the first thing I did when I bought mine. First things first, inspected the ball joints, fluids, belts, etc...when that was done, the following day...bought it to my shop and...
Changed motor oil into full synthetic along with either HM filter or synthetic filter (Change every 5,000 miles)
Tranny fluid exchange flush and replaced it with full synthetic fluid and tranny filter. (Change every 30,000)
Flush out the rear differential fluid and replaced it with synthetic gear lube (Change every 15,000)
Coolant fluid exchange flush (Change every 30,000)

I haven't replace the spark plugs, wires, air filter, distributor cap, timing belt, water pump, alternator (with a more high power), battery and power steering pump yet. For rear diff plugs, you can always get a replacement from Pepboys since I heard they carry it. Keep this up and your vehicle won't go wrong like most idiots. Always remain proactive and keep a record book to keep track of all of your services. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-22-10, 01:36 AM
vipman806
Pole Position

Dude, this one needs sticky lol
Old 11-22-10, 04:04 AM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

yes this should be a sticky just like a few other threads but they wont make it a sticky and that sucks..
Old 11-22-10, 04:58 AM
vipman806
Pole Position

True... well there's always the notepad or microsoft word to save it on.
Old 11-22-10, 10:57 PM
VietScouty
Rookie

Talking

Yeah, this does need to be a sticky. Here is something that I learn, most people will always overlook at maintenance (ing) their transmission and coolant/radiator and differential (if applicable and ours have it) fluids. I got into this habit after my tour in Iraq almost decade ago, "Take care of your combat vehicle and it will take care of you". I have a 04 honda civic with over 125k that still runs like a champ after maintaining it like it suppose to, all fluids, inspection every month or quarter and replacing whatever needs to be replaced.
I'll tell you a story after what I've seen when I service the tranny and differential, the tranny came out milky which is bad and the differential, I was horrified of what I've saw when I drained it "THICK BROWNISH COLOR" which is really bad. LOL
Old 12-06-10, 08:34 PM
VietScouty
Rookie

Just to inform everyone that we can use 75W-90 GL-5 on our rear diff. Its fully synthetic and it should be ok. I think its the same ones that its used in the subbies for their transmission and a Toyota highlander with a 2UZ-FE engine transfer case.
Old 12-07-10, 01:43 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I used Red line diff fluid when I changed the fluid. Works well.
Old 12-07-10, 09:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I still use dino oil. I have reservations about switching to synthetic with a high mileage car. I change the transmission fluid every 8,000 miles, which is overkill. I do love the car. I love the sound of the I6 and the car's solid feel. I bought it in January, 2002 and it's still my DD!
Old 12-07-10, 10:03 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it so much, you can see in my sig. I have a 93 then gave it to my younger brother after I bought my 93 Supra TT. Since the Supra was a garage queen, I still need a daily driver. After couple beaters like 90 Camry and 92 Supra NA, I decided to go back to my first love and got myself a 95 Lexus GS Touring Edition because I like the Diamond White Pearl paint more. It is still my DD and loving it. People always asked me why don't I upgrade to 2nd Gen GS 98-05, I told them not that I can't afford it but I don't like that body style ( no offense to 2nd Gen owners).
Old 12-07-10, 10:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm with you on the body style as is my brother, who owns a 2GS.
Old 12-07-10, 03:17 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my car so much that I have sex with my car every day before getting home from work... up the gas pipe.

I kid, I kid: I love my car so much and that is the simple reason I decided to build it up. If I could buy another one, I would. Or one for the wife (sicne she actually likes it), my vip build and another one for papa (me) as a track car... heck yes, I would love to do that.
Old 12-08-10, 04:50 PM
afracer
Driver

We like our GS300 a lot, since we've bought it we've recommended it to all our family, and actually my sis is looking at getting one this week. They're one of the few full size, RWD, dependable, and affordable cars out there that I'd trust anyone in my family to be driving around.

Old diff fluid being dark brown and thick isn't a bad thing unless theres like chunks coming out or something. I've really started liking Lucas gear oil...has the 'climbing' quality about it that my 240SX transmission seems to love. I wonder if conventional gear oil has ZDDP in it? Anyway, I don't think you're any worse off using synthetic gear oil or conventional as far as rear ends go. When it comes to engine oil however, it is nice to use conventional/old school motor oil with ZDDP, but it tends to kill cats and O2 sensors on newer cars so that's why you don't see it anymore. Most racing oils contain it though.

As soon as we bought our GS300 we gave it a tune up (plugs & PCV) followed very quickly by 3" catback, oil change, tranny fluid flush, K&N air filter, new tires/wheels, LS400 front brakes, and new control arms. Since then we've installed new driver window motor, body kit, Tanabe springs, LaminX, HIDs, Aristo tails, rebuilt tranny, new radiator, serpentine belt, and idler pulley. She's pretty happy, soon to get an Aristo rear spoiler, carbon fiber grille, and new leather skins. Bought with 140K, now has 170K after 2 years, and running great. I say I like it because it's not fast yet and needs a turbo for me to actually 'love' it. But it's my wife's car so nothing happens without her consent.
Old 12-08-10, 07:39 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the GS300 a lot. Have it converted to Aristo (gte swap). I like it better than most MKIVs I've driven.

Jeff
Old 12-08-10, 07:43 PM
VietScouty
Rookie

Originally Posted by afracer
We like our GS300 a lot, since we've bought it we've recommended it to all our family, and actually my sis is looking at getting one this week. They're one of the few full size, RWD, dependable, and affordable cars out there that I'd trust anyone in my family to be driving around.

Old diff fluid being dark brown and thick isn't a bad thing unless theres like chunks coming out or something. I've really started liking Lucas gear oil...has the 'climbing' quality about it that my 240SX transmission seems to love. I wonder if conventional gear oil has ZDDP in it? Anyway, I don't think you're any worse off using synthetic gear oil or conventional as far as rear ends go. When it comes to engine oil however, it is nice to use conventional/old school motor oil with ZDDP, but it tends to kill cats and O2 sensors on newer cars so that's why you don't see it anymore. Most racing oils contain it though.

As soon as we bought our GS300 we gave it a tune up (plugs & PCV) followed very quickly by 3" catback, oil change, tranny fluid flush, K&N air filter, new tires/wheels, LS400 front brakes, and new control arms. Since then we've installed new driver window motor, body kit, Tanabe springs, LaminX, HIDs, Aristo tails, rebuilt tranny, new radiator, serpentine belt, and idler pulley. She's pretty happy, soon to get an Aristo rear spoiler, carbon fiber grille, and new leather skins. Bought with 140K, now has 170K after 2 years, and running great. I say I like it because it's not fast yet and needs a turbo for me to actually 'love' it. But it's my wife's car so nothing happens without her consent.
Well said.
Old 12-08-10, 07:53 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

this is all common sense to anyone who knows anything about a car. just my 2 cents,

also royal purple makes a good oil for the rear diff, i'm using that with my torsen, and she's loving it so far

Last edited by deknick; 12-08-10 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: How much do you love your JZS147?