Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oops sorry...link added.
Old 09-08-10, 10:51 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kene
After reading HyperVish's post

Here is the Toyota/Lexus GS300(1st gen) ball joint recall documents. check and see if your VIN # is in the affected vehicles.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...romPublic=true

out of maybe for example I think out of 32,000 in the first years 27,000 were affected where the ball joint would split apart rendering the car useless until fixed not to mention the body work damage.

(Mine just separated not too long ago, and I was lucky I was at a stop....Picture your car sitting on its underframe)

Report Date: September 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Search Type: VEHICLE
Make: LEXUS
Model: GS300
Model Year: 1994

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make: LEXUS Model: GS300
Model Year: 1994
Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 28, 1995
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 95V072000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 27604
Summary:
THE SPHERICAL PORTIONS OF CERTAIN LOWER BALL JOINTS HAD FINISHED SURFACES THAT WERE NOT SMOOTH CAUSING FRICTION WITH THE SURFACE OF THE BALL JOINT CAP.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION CAN LEAD TO SEPARATION OF THE BALLJOINT INCREASING THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE ACCIDENT.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LOWER BALL JOINTS ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES.
Notes:
SYSTEM: SUSPENSION; INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM; LOWER; BALL JOINT. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. NOTE: IF YOUR VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, PLEASE CONTACT TOYOTA 1-800-255-3987. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.
Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Ok so I see the TSB but theres no description of what the ball joint causes....i.e. Knocking over bumps, etc etc. How do you know this was the cause for the body roll?

Edit: The tsb says the driver may hear creaking, or rattling from the front suspension but the driver may not hear any noise. befor it fails.
SO this is not for my problem. Thanks anyway. Im still waiting for my Rear lower control arm to get here...until then we wil see...

Last edited by Is300Tree2; 09-08-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 04:45 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Update!!!!
I changed my front outter tie rods. Steering wheel feels better. 4 new tires with stock sizes instead of staggered setup. Smooth ride but shaking/ sway of body still there.

Changed out rear shocks and springs with a set from the junk yard. The boots were fresh and no oil on the shock body so i pressumed they were in good condition. Sway still there and its evident that its only coming from the rear. I did notice a Curviure of my sway bar end links as if they are bent. I looked at new one and they are supposed to be straight. So i will replace them as well but they dont appear to be the culpret.
Old 01-28-11, 08:25 PM
jrARISTO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same prob... i change my ball joints all ready have new tires new shock and springs....check all my bushing and motor monts....all seem good...the only thing that i see in my car is strut monts.....i know that if those are bad it willm!or the struts move.....as for the cv joint the can make the car tremble.....I had a integra that had a bad cv joint and it didn't click..it just trembled and i change every motor mont and bushing I can think of and it was the cv joint....but I'm going to buy megan coil overs....then get an alinment and go from there.....ill let you know what happeneds..
Old 01-31-11, 04:37 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

OK sounds good. I saw some loosnes in the rear strut rod bushing (where the bottom of the strut bolts to the arm). But its not major nor is it even a side to side play. Its back n forth. But like i said before, my sway bar end links are bent and new ones came in the mail today so once i get time they will go on and i'll update since tis is the 25th thread with the same problem and no confirmed solution.
Old 01-31-11, 08:03 PM
Xcaliber00
Driver

Thumbs up

Here's to hoping that's the issue. Mind does it also.
Old 02-05-11, 08:28 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

So today I replaced the sway bar end links. They were a easy enough process. 14mm or 12 i cant remember socket and a pair of vice grips and a beer and your good. I drove home and immediatley felt the stiffness of the rear end. almost like new! I havent been on the highway but i feel comfortable saying the shaking/swaying/ body rooling/ crap that my car and so many others was doing, is over. The end links were bent as you wil lsee in the picture and they were only like 40$ off ebay.

Obviously no need to put up the new ones because they were straight. lol

heres where i got them from. They didnt come with the clips as pictured but no biggie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 02-19-11, 10:28 AM
skylitejdm
Driver School Candidate

i have this problem as well, check your hub bearing... get it changed and this would fix that problem... and a better alignment... FIXED
Old 02-22-11, 11:23 PM
snakewhite
Driver School Candidate

Talking Problem solved!!!

Hello Club Lexus, this is an update to an early post.

Went ahead and replaced the steering damper with a Monroe steering damper for a Lexus 1996 - LX450, LX470, LX570 which I bought at Kragen/Oreily, which needed some adaptions such as three new washers and a new screw.

Also bought four new tires and had the alignment done on the lexus, wow what a difference on how the lexus drives, no more shaking or swaying at highway speeds.

Feel comfortable and safer now that I went ahead and replaced these parts.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-08-11, 03:04 PM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Update: The shaking isnt gone. I will check out my hub bearing....the car just sits right now and my tags expired n im in no hurry to fix it. BUT....with the guy a few posts up...I will check out that dampner too. I dont ever feel the shaking/swaying from the front and my steering wheel doesnt move during this. So I dont believe its from the front. My struts were used but they did not look horrible so they may still be a possiblity.

Also there have been so many people that have fixed this problem with different repairs. So once I figure something out I will update this and then we can compare it to others.
Old 03-09-11, 01:20 PM
jrARISTO
Rookie

I got my sway bar links front and back and it feels a little bet batter still pull from one side but not that much....going to but sway bar brushing and steering damener and ill up date this too
Old 03-10-11, 08:09 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Def. I agree that the sway bar end links def. help stiffen it up. I was also thining about the sway bar bushings. I will look into aftermarket bushings.
Old 03-10-11, 09:51 AM
jrARISTO
Rookie

Energy suspension makes them for like 8 or 9 bucks
Old 03-16-11, 01:04 PM
jrARISTO
Rookie

My car is still doing the same thing so o Googleed it you guys should check this site out WWW.monroeautorepair.com/suspension.html I think it mite be the tie rod ends
Old 03-26-11, 12:18 PM
jrARISTO
Rookie

An update to all this I found another site and they are calling it bump steer autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/steering_suspension/ques108_3.html so I final took my car to get an alignment they told me that my inner tie rod end is bad and my steering damper is bad...so I'm going to buy them and see why happens next...I tried looking for the steering damper?

Quick Reply: Car shakes at Highway speeds