GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Ideas on VIP with stock body kit....?

Old 07-27-10, 11:58 PM
vipman806
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on VIP with stock body kit....?

I thought about the whole debate about body kits for the JZS147 but alot of them do not seem to work for me... What's everyone's opinion on that...? Honest opinions count, I don't care and I do take into consideration on what everyone thinks and I do give thought on everyon's opinion...
Old 07-28-10, 02:27 AM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

The nice kits are just really expensive and or hard to find for a good deal
This is why I might just get an aristo bumper and add a nice clean lip to it like...

Or get a nice front bumper from a 2gen and have it molded with a first gen's bumper
Old 07-28-10, 08:16 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIPMan, what exactly are you looking for? You want a kit? A lip kit? what are you trying to achieve with your car?

If you just want to get a kit to just get a kit, I would suggest you start researching the car a bit more. Don't spend money right away. I would do wheels and coilovers to start off and then start looking at what stance and look you are trying to achieve.

This is just me, I mean no disrespect, but seems like you are trying to find a certain look that you don't have it well defined in your mind... I have encountered customers who just hand me their car and they are like 'I like this kit but I don't but I do and then I want an S15 front end but I like the silvia one as well and I like hot pink but blue is a nice color too, can you help me paint and design my car?' so I know where you are coming from.

My best recommendation is to start looking into cars. Go to carView (japanese website) and type jzs147 on the search so u can see bloggers with their aristos. Another thing is to do a Google search for images but filter the websites to only include pages in japanese
then do an image search for aristo or jzs147.

Just trying to help you out and prevent you from spending a good amout of change on a kit you will later regret... been there done that (=n =)
Old 07-28-10, 09:18 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with kidzik007's suggestion to start with coilovers and wheels first. I can tell you that a bodykit can be a bit of a pain in the ***. I like renting cars now so I can go in and out of driveways like a normal person. While I like the Veilside kit I have, I did not seek it out. The car had minor bumper damage front and rear from various douchebags running in to the car while parked and then driving away without leaving a note. The bumpers were bad enough that it would have cost a fair amount to fix them. My friend happened to have the Veilside kit and he gave it to me, which was nice. Now, the car is painted and resides inside. If not for the idiot drivers and a friend's generosity, I would not have a kit.
Old 07-28-10, 10:24 AM
gs2impress
Rookie

Originally Posted by kidzik007
VIPMan, what exactly are you looking for? You want a kit? A lip kit? what are you trying to achieve with your car?

If you just want to get a kit to just get a kit, I would suggest you start researching the car a bit more. Don't spend money right away. I would do wheels and coilovers to start off and then start looking at what stance and look you are trying to achieve.

This is just me, I mean no disrespect, but seems like you are trying to find a certain look that you don't have it well defined in your mind... I have encountered customers who just hand me their car and they are like 'I like this kit but I don't but I do and then I want an S15 front end but I like the silvia one as well and I like hot pink but blue is a nice color too, can you help me paint and design my car?' so I know where you are coming from.

My best recommendation is to start looking into cars. Go to carView (japanese website) and type jzs147 on the search so u can see bloggers with their aristos. Another thing is to do a Google search for images but filter the websites to only include pages in japanese

Just trying to help you out and prevent you from spending a good amout of change on a kit you will later regret... been there done that (=n =)
WRD
Old 07-28-10, 12:10 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

vipman you been asking the same question over and over. you really need to research online or use the search function. the only lip I know for the US spec bumper is made by behrman. for the aristo front lip search on the lip made by tte.
Old 07-28-10, 06:59 PM
vipman806
Pole Position

Thanks, I appreciate the opinions... I'll take into consideration about slowly working on the car and being wise with spending money... I'm waiting to try a set of Volks that my uncle offered me...
Old 07-28-10, 07:49 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

yeah i would like to get a nice set of side shirts and a rear lip nothing to aggresive
Old 07-29-10, 06:49 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Even as a painter and project designer myself, it has taken me over a year to really define what I want my car to look like as far as concept and design; after 3 years of photoshopping and research, I can state my car will be done interior-exterior-engine by mid year next year. It will be magazine photoshoot ready. It is no easy thing to come up and really define what you really want from your car and platform.

I'll give you a tip; you know you have your project defined once you see something new or see different cars with different nice setups but your project, in your mind, never changes. It doesn't matter if the whole VIP community starts painting their cars red or white, you still envision your car silver with 20in Ordens on a Vlene kit (for example) and i guarantee you, once your car is DONE, you will be the HAPPIEST JZS147 owner in the planet.

I have seen too many a customer disappointed with their color of choice or kit or wheels after I hand them the keys and come back to see if I can give them a deal on a re-paint. Why? they were just doing what 'the joneses' did but not following their own vision because they lacked one in the first place. Believe me, the tuning world is full of these people. I had 2 customers paint their cars 4 times in a year. These are 5K paint jobs, by the way, and never be happy because they don't know what they want. Is their 89 S13 coupe worth 20K in paint jobs? NO.

So do your homework and be patient, it WILL PAY OFF!

If you need some guidance, i think there are MANY members in here (including myself) and at other forums who would be willing to HELP you define your taste, not MAKE you like something THEY like.

Peace.
Old 07-29-10, 09:44 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Even as a painter and project designer myself, it has taken me over a year to really define what I want my car to look like as far as concept and design; after 3 years of photoshopping and research, I can state my car will be done interior-exterior-engine by mid year next year. It will be magazine photoshoot ready. It is no easy thing to come up and really define what you really want from your car and platform.

I'll give you a tip; you know you have your project defined once you see something new or see different cars with different nice setups but your project, in your mind, never changes. It doesn't matter if the whole VIP community starts painting their cars red or white, you still envision your car silver with 20in Ordens on a Vlene kit (for example) and i guarantee you, once your car is DONE, you will be the HAPPIEST JZS147 owner in the planet.

I have seen too many a customer disappointed with their color of choice or kit or wheels after I hand them the keys and come back to see if I can give them a deal on a re-paint. Why? they were just doing what 'the joneses' did but not following their own vision because they lacked one in the first place. Believe me, the tuning world is full of these people. I had 2 customers paint their cars 4 times in a year. These are 5K paint jobs, by the way, and never be happy because they don't know what they want. Is their 89 S13 coupe worth 20K in paint jobs? NO.

So do your homework and be patient, it WILL PAY OFF!

If you need some guidance, i think there are MANY members in here (including myself) and at other forums who would be willing to HELP you define your taste, not MAKE you like something THEY like.

Peace.
Very well said. A lot of the following is born from a desire to emulate the VIP style or JDM style. My car was originally blue, but the OG blue had a green cast in certain lighting which I didn't like. I spent two years looking at paint colors. There are a lot of colors you need to see in different lighting. I chose Maserati Blue Oceano, but it is an oil-based paint and cannot be sprayed in CA. My second chouse was Indigo Ink Pearl (8P4) which I had seen on numerous SC430s and IS300s. I love the color.

The car is more or less well-received at meets, but non-Lexus people seem to like it better than most CLers. At meets, I overhear stuff like "it's not VIP because it's blue" or "it's not VIP because it's not low enough." I don't care. The car is exactly how I want it. That's what matters at the end of the day. It's not supposed to be VIP. I don't personally get the curtains, ropes, and tables anyway. It's my daily driver, I love it, and it still turns heads. A 20 something guy was taking pictures of it with his cell phone on the way in to work this morning.
Old 07-29-10, 08:34 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VIP_Dreamz
vipman you been asking the same question over and over. you really need to research online or use the search function. the only lip I know for the US spec bumper is made by behrman. for the aristo front lip search on the lip made by tte.

Where did you see a lip for the US spec bumper by Behrman. I was under the impression (by looking at their website) they only make Aristo lips and kits.
Old 07-29-10, 08:45 PM
LexFather

The 2GS isn't a new car anymore and if you are going to VIP it, it will require some money.I've been asked "why have I not done VIP" and one of the reasons is if I do it, it will take some serious dough to do it right. I'm sorry but I don't get a lot of guys slamming their cars on old scratched wheels and calling it VIP b/c the camber is aggressive. What about paint? Fitment? Originality? Interior? etc etc

The pure definiition of V.I.P is "Very Important Person" so to that aspect the car should look like something a VIP would drive.

That is where this new VIP STYLE comes in and it just seems like adding the word "Style" is a big *** excuse to do what you want and say "yeah its VIP". Its like calling the XXL football. I much prefer it named something else.

As stated, take your time, develop a theme and go with it.
Old 07-29-10, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Great post
Old 07-29-10, 10:22 PM
vipman806
Pole Position

Where can I get the JDM front end conversion??? I might just consider getting it after I drop the car and get those Volks.
Old 07-29-10, 10:26 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
Where did you see a lip for the US spec bumper by Behrman. I was under the impression (by looking at their website) they only make Aristo lips and kits.
looks like it was for the us spec bumper. guess I was wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas on VIP with stock body kit....?