GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Aristo conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 12:26 AM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aristo conversion question

Ok here is my issue. I just got my jdm front. Bumper, hood with Toyota grill, both fenders, headlights and fogs. But now I need to know what hids to order. I would like to get hids for everything low and high beams and fogs. I did search but can't get a stright answer so please let me know.
Old 04-06-10, 06:53 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the front crash bar as well? It's a bit smaller than the US.
Old 04-06-10, 07:54 AM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Yeah I did. I got everything. Pretty much the front clip just no motor. If I told u the price u wouldn't belive me.
Old 04-06-10, 10:59 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

for starters, the only difference from the JDM front end is the headlights, crash bar and bumper. Fenders and hood (as well as the gril) are the same with the exception of the toyota grille emblem. Is your question regarding headlamps? There are some threads in this section of the forum. Search is your friend. Go here to view the topics:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=4791616

I'll give you some cliff notes and I really think we shoulf have a JDM vs USDM Headlight FAQ...

-It is not a straight wiring/plug and play. Cutting and splicing is required. It is actually pretty easy none the less.
-Decide what you want the blinker to do before doing the turn signal wiring. (You can have it as a turn signal only, turn signal and running light, or just as a running light)
-Bulbs for the High and Low beams have to be 9005 so you have to modify the plugs for the low beams.
Old 04-06-10, 02:27 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Good looks kidz I have done some searching but everyone says somethng diffrent. Some say use 9006 and some say use 9005 so I just wanted to get a streight foward answer. Ok so now that I know I need 9005 for both the high and low beam what blub do I need for the fogs? From what I searched the jdm fogs use the same as the usdm h3 is this correct? And when it comes to the running lights I want them to come on as soon as I turn the car on. What would the blinkers have to do with the running light
Old 04-06-10, 02:59 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Fogs = H3
Low/Hi Beam=9005 FOR SURE. I haz JDM lamps. they fit a bit snugg but they fit.

If ur car is a USDM model (aka GS300) the plug for your corner lights (blinkers) has 3 wires; this means the following:
-1 ground
-1 turnsignal
-1 running light

In the USDM cars, the corner light doubles as blinker and running light.
In the JDM car, the running light and the turn signal are separate. Corner light only acts as a blinker, runninglight is the middle 'cat iris' piece in the headlamp assy.

What you get when you switch from USDM to JDM are 3 options:

To make your corner light still work as a blinker/running light (stock USDM):
-Splice the running light wire and ground wire from the USDM corner light plug into the JDM runing light plug.
Result: when you turn your lights on, the orange corner as well as the JDM runing light will come on. When you turn your blinkers, only the orange corenr light blinks. My personal fav setup. If you do this setup, get a 2 colored 1157 LED where the running light is white and the alternate light is amber. I guarrantee you that if you have cleared the amber pieces from the headlamp, you WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED!

To make the corner light only work as a blinker light:
In the USDM plug, identify which wire is the power for the running light and which one is for the blinker. Once the wires have been ID'd you have 2 options: Use the corner JDM plug (2 wire connector) or, leaving a lot of slack, cut the running light wire off of the USDM plug.
Result: the corner light will only come on when your turn signal comes on, running light will be the 'cat iris' only.

Have the corner light work as a running light only:
I do not recommend this setup since you lose your front signals and it might be illegal in some states.
Basically all you do is cut the wire for the blinker and wire the JDM running light to the other 2 active wires.
Result: The corner light doesn't blink and it just acts as a running light.

Hope this doesn't confuse you!
Old 04-06-10, 04:46 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Nah I got it thanks for the info this is exactly why I was looking for
Old 04-06-10, 11:25 PM
147noob
Pole Position

someone please sticky this stuff is very useful
Old 04-07-10, 10:14 AM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Yes please do
Old 04-07-10, 01:56 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kidzik007
To make your corner light still work as a blinker/running light (stock USDM):
-Splice the running light wire and ground wire from the USDM corner light plug into the JDM runing light plug.
Result: when you turn your lights on, the orange corner as well as the JDM runing light will come on. When you turn your blinkers, only the orange corenr light blinks. My personal fav setup. If you do this setup, get a 2 colored 1157 LED where the running light is white and the alternate light is amber. I guarrantee you that if you have cleared the amber pieces from the headlamp, you WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED!
Would you mind, going into further detail since I'm not that savy with electric wiring. I convert to JDM headlights while back, but I end up making the JDM DRL as running lights and the corner is the turn lights. I would love to change to this set up because it's legal and acts the same as the USDM corner lights.
Old 04-08-10, 11:47 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Old 04-08-10, 11:49 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

warning: i still have to confirm the wire colors. I am going by memory!!! Test before splicing!!!
Old 04-08-10, 05:41 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the pictures. I will try it once I have the time since opening those headlights are no fun.
Old 04-09-10, 05:49 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

you dont need to open the headlights! this is simply the wiring for the plugs... unless you are referring to clear out the amber part inside the headlamp.
Old 04-09-10, 09:50 AM
AJ.STYLEZ
Driver

Here at Clublexus.. I learn something new every day.

Quick Reply: Aristo conversion question