GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Love it or hate it: JZX100 full swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 01:27 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love it or hate it: JZX100 full swap

Yesiree bob, I am getting a front clip off of a JZX100 and swaping everything in there including the pedal assembly for a 5 manual swap. Waiting on a date for the clip to be shipped and also gathering some other parts/write ups in the mean time.

I'm paying about 2800 for a front clip and potentially I am sourcing all the mechanical parts from it. I would hate to spend 2500+ shipping on an aristo clip then spend another 2K for a tranny, adapter, pedals, etc. Fortunately to me I also have the mag from Sport Compact Car wher they have the pinouts for the ECU swap doing this swap.

Stay tuned, I think you'll like it
Old 01-02-10, 11:28 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome! take lots of pics
Old 01-03-10, 03:49 AM
z32tt22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be wrong but, you will have a unique setup. I have never seen a JZS147 with a 1JZGTE. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-03-10, 07:19 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by z32tt22
I might be wrong but, you will have a unique setup. I have never seen a JZS147 with a 1JZGTE. Good luck and keep us posted!
I'm really surprised that there isn't many more floating around since the 1jz is cheaper than a 2jz.
Old 01-03-10, 10:27 AM
Kaiser
Racer

It's been done once by a guy from Vegas. Had issues that he couldn't fix. For example the jzx uses wheel speed sensor and the jzs uses a trans speed sensor.
Old 01-03-10, 11:16 AM
147noob
Pole Position

Been done numerous times same swap i was planning on doing only with auto trans. http://speedhunters.com/archive/tags...7/default.aspx good luck man cant wait to see this beast.
Old 01-03-10, 12:24 PM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

damn son... your going vvti... should be a interesting swap.... im just wondering how the 1jz going to push that heavy body GS....
Old 01-04-10, 07:20 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Easily; a friend of mine has a MarkII here in AZ and suprise suprise! Our cars are about 400 lbs heavier than Chasers. With a diet and a more responsive turbo it will be an interesting/nice track/street car. This is one of the reasons why I decied to keep the Kazz Sport kit; i dont think there is another 'big mouth' front bumper I could find; at least here stateside.

The first steps are wiring; I'm getting some of the wiring translated. I think the ECU is in the engine bay like the 2JZ w/VVTi but I am not sure. It will be interesting, fun and a learning experience! I'll keep you guys posted
Old 01-04-10, 07:33 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kidzik007
Easily; a friend of mine has a MarkII here in AZ and suprise suprise! Our cars are about 400 lbs heavier than Chasers. With a diet and a more responsive turbo it will be an interesting/nice track/street car. This is one of the reasons why I decied to keep the Kazz Sport kit; i dont think there is another 'big mouth' front bumper I could find; at least here stateside.

The first steps are wiring; I'm getting some of the wiring translated. I think the ECU is in the engine bay like the 2JZ w/VVTi but I am not sure. It will be interesting, fun and a learning experience! I'll keep you guys posted
Maybe we can share notes doing the same swap myself just automatic!!!
Old 01-04-10, 07:59 PM
147noob
Pole Position

i here az i hear mark 2 i hear ben then what part of az u live in im here to
Old 01-05-10, 07:13 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

hey I'm AJ. i'm in Tucson and drive the only Lexus debadged and madly dropped GS around here, as far as I know. Me and ben go way back in time. Finishing some goodies for his car right now. Anyways, welcome to the club

All I am doing now is research planing research planing before I start. This car will be very different. For starters, it will be orange using ShowUp paint. Fender flares. Yes, fenred flares from a 240Z. Thats right. The fender pull and car height as well as the wheel offset and width has been figured out. All is lft is some of the details about the swap; such things as the ones Kaiser brought up...

Kaiser, do you remember if that fellow had a manual tranny?
Old 01-05-10, 06:40 PM
147noob
Pole Position

hey I'm AJ. i'm in Tucson and drive the only Lexus debadged and madly dropped GS around here, as far as I know. Me and ben go way back in time. Finishing some goodies for his car right now. Anyways, welcome to the club

All I am doing now is research planing research planing before I start. This car will be very different. For starters, it will be orange using ShowUp paint. Fender flares. Yes, fenred flares from a 240Z. Thats right. The fender pull and car height as well as the wheel offset and width has been figured out. All is lft is some of the details about the swap; such things as the ones Kaiser brought up...

Kaiser, do you remember if that fellow had a manual tranny?
Damn and here i tought i would be the only drifted gs300 in Tucson lol Im lloyd i used to drive the baby blue cressida with the 5spd swap. I sold it and bought this thing cause i beat that car to hell well make sure u save up notes cause like i said i was planning on going 1j in my car and was actually gonna call Ben tomorrow and see how much he would charge to do the swap tomorrow. Best of luck to u hope to see your car cause i need help with this thing

And since your going manual anyway u should sell me your IS300 SHIFTER SETUP
Old 01-06-10, 07:06 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

LOL then you know David; I sold him my ST 20V motorset! I have seen you at the last event on the blue Cressida. Wow I didn't know you bought a GS!. I think that Epik followed by me back in 05 where the first persons to enter a 1st gen GS300 in a SCCA sanctioned event in the US. I have pics of such event too. I 'dropped out' of drifting after doing some VIP for a while but since this will be my second GS in my stable I will start tracking it again and transferring the VIP~ish mods out to my other chassi.

One thing I should mention is that I am most likely going X90 instead of X100. VVTi is a ***** to wire as well as more expensive. There are more parts and tech support (people that have worked on) here in the US for the non-VVTi motors too, a very important point when something breaks or when an upgrade is planned. Nevertheless, all in all, I checked my bud's MKII last night and I do have 2 things to say:

-The slave clutch cylinder was made to fit our cars. Perfectly. Even on the RHD car, the fluid line is facing the right way to fit in our cars, so no fancy bending neccessary. Also the neck and the shape of the reservoir is PERFECT to fit next to the brake cilinder reservoir.
-The pedal assembly is PERFECT... just perfect.

I am still researching much of the wiring to be done, specially the desicion to get the entire dash harness from the X into the S chassis. I haven't found anyone making the stock tach work on a swap like this, so I might have to build my own gauge cluster (another extra expense).

If I decide to got X90, a turbo upgrade will immediately follow as well since I don't intend to keep the car twin-turbo.

I'll get some wiring schematics and some pics of chassi prep sometime this week. Im freaking excited

BTW: Our cars weight about 3690~ while Cressidas (4th Gen) weight at about 3420~. With a diet our cars come close to what a Cressida weight so I am not concerned so much about the car's weight.

Last edited by jmax.garage; 01-06-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 12:55 PM
moejz
Pole Position

jst curios - the jzx-90/100 coincides chasis wise with the Cressida ?
When you get the clip, can you post a picture of the pedal? i would like to 5 speed mine as well as I have a full setup from a sc300 avaialble. Jst not sure if the pedal will work in the GS.

I know the Supra MkIII pedals are the same for the cressida.

Either way, good luck in the swap.
Old 01-06-10, 06:17 PM
147noob
Pole Position

Nice nice, gald to see another tucson member on here im just waitin for tax time uncle sam owes a alot and depending on how much he gives i will be swappin either 1jz or 2jz in my car gonna stay auto tho i like the cruise control to much lol. And if your lookin for a turbo i got a holset hx35 ill sell u im not using it anytime soon so get just pm if your interested cant wait to see this car in person tho GL man.

Quick Reply: Love it or hate it: JZX100 full swap